Magical Express - Expectation Setting for January Trip

henrylovespooh

DIS Veteran
Our flight is due to arrive at 8:20 pm in Orlando, and we're staying at the Contemporary. If we have only carry-on bags and head right to the ME departure area at the airport, can anyone venture a guess on how long it will take to get to the hotel? Is there any chance we'll get to the Contemporary by 9:45pm?

I'm thinking the kids will be hungry, and I was hoping we might make it in time to have dinner somewhere in the hotel. I was thinking it was unlikely, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Possible, if everything runs perfectly. One problem we've run into with landing in the evening is that fewer ME buses are running and they wait until they are as full as they can get them to head out. One trip we waited over an hour for other people to fill up the bus. Then we stopped at more resorts than normal for drop offs.

Typically allow 60-90 minutes from landing at MCO to arriving at the resort. The variables include how long it takes to deplane, get through the airport to DME, how long the bus waits before leaving the airport and how many stops before CR.

The last time we stayed at CR, the ME stopped at a moderate (I don't remember which one), then WL, then GF, Poly, and then finally CR. It took forever. Granted, it was mid afternoon, and during spring break. But it took a very long time to get there because we stopped everywhere else first. It might not be like that for an evening flight, but I'd be prepared for the worst.

Depending on length of flight, age of kids, and if airline food* is decent in your opinion, I would really try to get the kids fed before you land. Go to the airport early and have some food, pack some allowable food to eat at the airport or on the plane, eat on the plane...that sort of thing.

It's just a lot better than banking on no delays for the kids, depending on their ages.

*for instance, if I'm on United or Alaska, they typically have a "tapas" box that I quite like and so does DS.

Here is an option you might consider. It is one that our family has done many times in the past. Consider staying at the Hyatt inside the Orlando International airport for your first night then take the Disney's Magical Express over to the Contemporary first thing in the morning. They have some nice restaurants there and you can save some money by doing so. The rooms are very nice and quiet. With a discount code we have gotten room for as little as $140 that's with tax included . We have also had better luck with room requests by checking in to Disney Resorts in the morning.

Here is the link if your interested

http://orlandoairport.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

Good Luck
Searl

You can always do what I do -- if the first stop the ME makes isn't at the GF, we get off anyhow and take the monorail directly to the GF. Of course that doesn't work at the WL, but the next stop was the CR and we hoped on the monorail there and were at the GF in less than 5 minutes. You could do the same with the CR -- take the monorail to it from wherever the first stop is.

TOm

Thanks everyone!

We'll definitely get something to eat at the airport before we get on the plane then. I like the idea of staying in the airport the first night, but we have the dining plan through the new Stay Play and Dine discount, so I need the night at the hotel for our meals. I will definitely do that next time, though.

And thanks KonaKaiTom - we will definitely hop on the monorail if the bus order doesn't work in our favor.

I wouldn't book any dining reservations...but I would pop into Contempo Cafe for a quick bite to eat...or they can box/bag it up and take it up to your room.

its possible. we've had quicker trips but last time we ended up taking a cab. we got on the magical express and waited and waited. it was about the same time of night you're talking about. there weren't many people there and they were trying to fill up the bus a little bit. so it really depends on quite a few factors. I wouldn't count on it being super quick.

Another issue with a late arrival is that DME sometimes uses 13 passenger vans rather than the large full size busses. I was shoehorned into the last row with 13 other people total in the van...and then I was the first one off the van...pardon me, excuse me, pardon me.....and my bag was on the bottom of the stack.

Vans are OK, but you totally lose the "magic" feeling in a van...I felt like just another slug going from point A to point B.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter