Magical Express Ending Service

This makes sense once they switch to Brightline connection. But that's not opening till sometime in 2023 (2022 is Miami line).

Losing Bag Convenience tho makes it not worth staying On-Site for full vacation, especially when the Brightline opens. Gonna add in trips to other parks now during visit.
So I have read the blog several times and still dont see where the bag service is discussed.

So as a Disney shareholder I appreciate reasonable cost cutting but this is boneheaded. DME is part of the whole experience and a major convenience for millions of travelers every year. So now Magical Express is gone, Extra Magic Hours, the free Magic Bands (WHICH YOU NEED TO USE THE PARKS). Swan/Dolphin and the other friendly hotels must be loving this because people will save $$$$$$$ by not staying on property at a wildly overpriced hotel. Tell me again how John D’Amaro is making the parks better???? Can’t wait to here Pete tomorrow!

So I have read the blog several times and still dont see where the bag service is discussed.

Bag service is already not operational, and likely wont return before ME is gone. Likely hood of them bringing it back for the train is low, especially if the train isn't added experience to Resorts and is $$ service.

Everyone hoping for the train service is in for a rude awakening. That will never replace DME. This isn’t the equivalent of the monorail at MCO between the terminals and the main hub. This is a major railroad that will most likely only be running back and forth between MCO and WDW 3-5 times per day. And that’s if it ever gets built. Brightline is notoriously slow at building and is already years behind schedule on the other parts of this line. We’ll be lucky if we see the DS train station by 2026-27.

Everyone hoping for the train service is in for a rude awakening. That will never replace DME. This isn’t the equivalent of the monorail at MCO between the terminals and the main hub. This is a major railroad that will most likely only be running back and forth between MCO and WDW 3-5 times per day. And that’s if it ever gets built. Brightline is notoriously slow at building and is already years behind schedule on the other parts of this line. We’ll be lucky if we see the DS train station by 2026-27.
I have to agree. Brightline isn't meant to be a replacement for transportation to and from the parks. It's merely meant to be one stop along the route. It's just "another option", and likely not convenient or efficient at all. I wouldn't count on it being the solution to any sort of transportation issue.

When you get to the airport to fly home. The poster I quoted was whining about not being able to check in at the resort. You can check in ANYWHERE via phones. Some airlines will allow you to pay your baggage fee on the app, then you go to the machines at the airport (or the bag check line) to get the tags and hand them off.

I was not “whining” about not being able to check in for a flight at the resort. Checking in for a flight, getting boarding passes, and paying for checked bags (something we usually don’t have to do because of flying on Southwest) is the easy part. The main value to us about the airline check in service at the resort was being able to check baggage there and then go directly to the security check lines when we arrive at the airport. We did that whether we were taking DME or driving to the airport.

The discontinuation of DME should not necessarily mean that that service can’t be picked up again once business picks up. I haven’t seen anything that the service has been discontinued permanently.

Last edited:
This is very short sighted from Disney. Having MDE almost guarantees that guests will spend all of their time and money in the Disney bubble. You cancel this, and open guests eyes to renting cars or ride sharing? You are just asking for your guests to head to Universal, to head off-site for dinner, etc, and eventually stay off site altogether. Not smart!!
Beyond the Disney bubble lock-in thing, it's just a weird that it would have to be "cut". My expectation (prior to the announcement) would be they would just tack on a surcharge "indefinitely" and keep it running. It's a popular service and people would pay for it!

What was/is Bag Service that everyone is referring to?

Magic Express when using it for a resort trip will take the luggage you checked in on the plane and bring it directly to your room. Thus, you only needed to worry about carry on luggage when using the ME service. That was paused last year due to Covid, and likely wont return to service since whole thing leaving now.

For what it's worth, Mears is said to be continuing the service albeit a fee based one. This was the way back in the day

More money and not as timely!

Do they not realize that by not offering the Magical Express, those of us that are forced to now rent a car will spend our $$$ in other dining locations and/or buying groceries offsite as well as visiting other attractions in the area? for my last 2 Disney trips, I never stepped foot outside the Disney bubble. Nor did I ever consider splitting my stay between Disney and Universal. That's about to change for my family.

Nope. This isn't going to work. Our 2022 trip is now on the shelf. I simply can't navigate the drive between MCO and Disney. I am absolutely willing to pay for the service, but I was under the impression that the enormous cost of my cash stay or the points I rent were ALREADY covering that service. I can carry my stuff. I can check my bags. I am a big girl! But I can't handle that drive. Nearly every human on my plane is going to Disney every time I go. How will I compete with them for a ride share? What about all the single parents? The folks with disabilities? The solo travellers? It isn't just women that have to be careful travelling alone.

I'm glad the $10,000 I've saved up for a DVC contract can now go to other things.

I just sent my email. Kind in tone, and firm too.

Last edited:
Nope. This isn't going to work. Our 2022 trip is now on the shelf. I simply can't navigate the drive between MCO and Disney. I am absolutely willing to pay for the service, but I was under the impression that the enormous cost of my cash stay or the points I rent were ALREADY covering that service. I can carry my stuff. I can check my bags. I am a big girl! But I can't handle that drive. Nearly every human on my plane is going to Disney every time I go. How will I compete with them for a ride share? What about all the single parents? The folks with disabilities? The solo travellers? It isn't just women that have to be careful travelling alone.

I'm glad the $10,000 I've saved up for a DVC contract can now go to other things.

Mears put out a statement today that said they will be running the buses from MCO to the resorts / parks now and into the future. I am not sure how much it's going to cost but "hopefully" they stick to it and give us some type of option.

Thank you for this news, Orion Nebula!
Mears put out a statement today that said they will be running the buses from MCO to the resorts / parks now and into the future. I am not sure how much it's going to cost but "hopefully" they stick to it and give us some type of option.

Yeah, Mears already runs a variety of services to the hotels/parks, the question is if they will keep the nice ME buses and run them in a similar fashion. From their words, it seems they are referring mainly to their existing shuttles, but we'll just have to wait and see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter