Magical Express and Disabled

Nanajo1

DIS Veteran
Disney just announced a new program that shuttles resort guest to their resorts and delivers the luggage for free. I'm wondering if I'll be able to get into the "Motor Coach" used for the Magical Express. I have trouble with stairs and if the "coach" is a big bus I might have trouble. Do you think there will be any accommodations made for the mobility impaired? Or disabled guest in general? I'll wait for general reactions to the program but what do others think. Will this program be something you would use?

The ADA says if they offer it to able bodied they MUST offer the same to disabled. Remember anytime you go to a hotel that has a shuttle they must provide you accessible transportation. If they tell you no you can show them the law and they will comply.

Michigan said:
The ADA says if they offer it to able bodied they MUST offer the same to disabled. Remember anytime you go to a hotel that has a shuttle they must provide you accessible transportation. If they tell you no you can show them the law and they will comply.
::yes::
I haven't heard about the program, but Michigan is right about the ADA.

When you sign up for magical express on the disney website, it ask if you need a bus with a wheelchair lift. How magical would it ge if they weren't offering buses with lifts?

dizzyintx said:
How magical would it ge if they weren't offering buses with lifts?
It would be awful! I'd be all over them like a cheap suit!!!
eareek.gif

To be honest, I wish the buses for the Magic Express didn't have the lifts. That way Magic Express (through Mears) would be providing their wheelchair vans or taxis for this service and we would continue to get a private ride.

I used the wheelchair Mears service in December and it was just as fast as a towncar, but of course no grocery stop.

Carol

Out of curiousity, why would you want a private ride? Does it make a difference?

Not flaming, just curious.

The current Mears system has a possibility of stopping by several resorts before arriving at your resort.

The same is true on pick up on your departure day. You are usually picked up over 3 hours before your flight and stop at several resorts before going to the airport.

With the current wheelchair vans/taxis, if you reserve in advance, the van is waiting on you when you arrive at the airport (or arrives within a few minutes, and you are the only party on the van (almost always) and are taken directly to your resort.

On the return, you are usually picked up only 2 hours before your flight and almost always are taken directly to the airport.

The Magic Express service may be slightly more organized as they can plan trips in advance, but it is still possible that you will have to go to various other resorts before being taken to your final destination.

Carol

Mears has already ordered 37 new motor coaches that will be dedicated to Disney's Magical Express (DME)...the bus order includes custom exterior graphics and flat panel LCD video monitors....in addition 21 motor coaches include wheelchair lifts and two wheelchair tie-down positions.

we actually saw some of the ME buses during our recent WDW trip. I'm not sure if they were running a trial of ME, or using them as Mears buses, but we saw them.
They are really pretty with their special graphics.

clkelley said:
To be honest, I wish the buses for the Magic Express didn't have the lifts. That way Magic Express (through Mears) would be providing their wheelchair vans or taxis for this service and we would continue to get a private ride.
Carol

You don't have to use Magic Express. I have just received confirmation papers for my next trip, and Disney has enclosed the usual Mears discount voucher, so I assume the regular Mears service continues to operate in parrallel, though why anyone would want to pay when there is an alternative free service is beyond me.

I have always used the Mears Wheelchair vans in the past, and only once did I have to share.

Andrew

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=8351964&postcount=3

At least some of the buses have lifts for wheel chairs.

The only reason I can think of using Mears would be if you made your reservation within the 10 day window and were not allowed to reserve ME. I wouldn't be shocked if Mears was allowed to put those guests on ME buses.

I wonder what the change will do for SOG and S/D. I'd think the regular Mears service to those resorts won't be very good. S/D was grouped with the other EPCOT resorts, now it'll have to be combined with offsite hotels.

The more I read and hear about ME, the more I think it will be fine. The buses look great!! and the routings will make the trips much shorter.

Carol

ECVs can be loaded and tied down the same as wheelchairs. You would need to give advance notice for them also, since the buses can only accomidate a certain number of wheelchairs or ecvs pre bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter