Magic vs. Wonder - what’s different?

leannak

DIS Veteran
Hi there! We are taking our first cruise on the Wonder - we’ve only sailed on the Magic. I’m wondering what we can expect to be different. Will it feel like the same ship to us?

It's the twin sister of the Magic. Some of the shows are different. Magic has Rupunzels birthday dinner while Wonder has Tianas place which is so loud you cant hear your table mates.I actually like the crew on the Magic better. Was on the Wo derby on Oct and was worse Disney cruise ever. Lots of people complained so hopefully the fixed it.

It will feel very similar. The names and decor of places will be different, the locations will be the same. If you like the Wonder, you will like the Magic. They are the same, and yet feel different. No idea why.

Restaurants:
Animator's Palate on both
Rapunzel's Royal Table (Magic); Tiana's Place (Wonder)
Lumiere's (Magic); Triton's (Wonder)

Lounges:
Promenade Lounge (Magic); French Quarter Lounge (Wonder)
Fathoms (Magic); Azure (Wonder)
Keys (Magic); Cadillac Lounge (Wonder)
O'Gills Pub (Magic); Crown and Fin (Wonder)

Pool deck quick service locations are the same, with the exception of Duck-In Diner on the Magic being Pete's Boiler Bites on the Wonder.

As has been pointed out, the Magic has the Aquadunk water slide. The Wonder does not have anything similar. Both have the Twist 'n' Spout. There are some differences in the layout of the Concierge Lounge (the Magic has an outdoor part on Deck 10, whilst the Wonder's CL is entirely enclosed on that deck). The Wonder has a children's play area in the D Lounge, which is instead in the Promenade Lounge on the Magic - it was moved on the Wonder when the French Quarter Lounge was installed.

The only other differences I can think of are furnishing variations in public areas (eg floor tiles, carpeting).

Was on the Wo derby on Oct and was worse Disney cruise ever. Lots of people complained so hopefully the fixed it.

I was on the Wonder for the Panama Canal cruise in November and it was easily my worst Disney cruise as well. To the point that I don't think I will sail with them again until the Wish is in service.

Love the Wonder. Sailed the Magic for the first time in January. The post above does a great of of explaining the differences, but I'll add a few personal comments.

1) The Wonder has a more current version of the Animators Palate show which includes the animations of the drawings. The Magic still has the original show.
2) The Wonder has Frozen the Musical while the Magic has Tangled. The other shows are the same.
3) The Magic has a Snugly Duckling takeover of the pub, which includes a family version and an adults only version.
4) The Cadillac pub theme is amazing whereas Keys is pretty plain. I really enjoyed spending time in Cadillac pub and while both are a Piano Bar, I thought they did a much better job with the decor.
5) Yes, Tiana's place can be loud, but it is only on the one night during the jazz show. I thought the birthday show of Rapunzel's Royal Table a bit odd. We were seated to the side with a somewhat obstructed view, but having an audience participation show during dinner is not uncommon for Disney parks and I felt like that's where I was. Tiana's did a better job of carrying out the theme with the food as well. There is so much more you can do with New Orleans style food though, so maybe that's not fair.

Both ships are so similar, but I just prefer the look and feel of the Wonder and happen to love New Orleans jazz clubs where it's all about the food and the music and you visit with each other in between sets.

From an architectural perspective, the Magic is Art Deco, whereas the Wonder is Art Nouveau, respectfully.

When viewing the ships from the outside, you can easily tell them apart as the Wonder has oval shaped navigator's verandahs, whereas the Magic has circular shaped navigator's verandahs. 🙃

It does, we did this in May on the magic.
Only on longer cruises, I’m guessing?

Perhaps it is longer cruises, but it didn't for us. We had a 4 night and it was the old show without the drawings. Don't know why they would have cut that out if they had the ability. We did find out that there are several things that are different with the shorter sailings we didn't count on. Maybe this is another one.

Animation Magic is available on cruises of 7n or longer (when everyone is guaranteed to visit AP at least twice). This is for Fantasy, Wonder and Magic. If there was a 6n sailing, I don't see why it wouldn't be available then. Assume the same would be the case if the Dream would have a 6 or 7n sailing.

Drawn to Magic is the other show on the Magic and Wonder and available on all sailings.
Undersea Magic (Crush) is the other show on the Dream and Fantasy on all sailings.

Animation Magic is available on cruises of 7n or longer (when everyone is guaranteed to visit AP at least twice). This is for Fantasy, Wonder and Magic. If there was a 6n sailing, I don't see why it wouldn't be available then. Assume the same would be the case if the Dream would have a 6 or 7n sailing.

I think the reason it isn't available under 7 nights is because you have to go to AP twice PLUS there is pirate night. On a 6 night, someone is dining at AP on Pirate night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter