Magic Kingdom Photo Session (Question for Past Brides)

When were your pictures taken, Lorelei? My fiance and I wondered if maybe it had something to do with the time of year that some of the pictures sucked for poor Carrie. Night shots are hard...but the daytime shots (early morning when the sun is up) seem to be pretty good?

Tiffiny

Orion--

You mentioned something about an overhaul to Disney Weddings. What were you referring to? The only overhaul I've seen is a price increase. :badpc:

While I know everyone has different expectations...you should at bare minimum get professional and useable photos.

It's really sad to see that Disney does not stand by its products and what it produces.

It's a difficult choice to pay all that money to gamble on what your going to end up with.

I agree absolutely and completely with everything said, especially these points. There are no guarantees with DPS. You can't be sure to get good photos, let alone stunning ones. Even the highly recommended photographers seem to be hit or miss.

That said, there are some truly spectacular MK photos. (And I am absolutely pea-green with envy every time I see them! :sick:) But it's quite a lot of money for a gamble at possibly getting half way decent pictures.

IMO Disney Photographer has improved lately. There are a lot of older, awful park photoshoots but most of the recent ones have at least been decent if not better. Recently I have seen a few brides with awesome pictures and I am hoping that we get some too!

IMO Disney Photographer has improved lately. There are a lot of older, awful park photoshoots but most of the recent ones have at least been decent if not better. Recently I have seen a few brides with awesome pictures and I am hoping that we get some too!

It's totally a matter of personal opinion, but I disagree. There have been a few recent photo shoots posted that I would have been furious over. But, it boils down to is the couple happy? If they are, then that's all that matters.

All that aside, I truly hope you get awesome pictures, too!! :goodvibes :thumbsup2 I wouldn't wish disappointing wedding photos on anyone. :sad1:

The trouble is, what you consider a lousy photo and what they consider a lousy photo is different. I spent 6 months going back and forth with them over our seriously awful photos, and they just kept telling me they didn't see anything wrong with them. I sent a 16-page document with side-by-side comparisons of my photos and others' and got the same reply. There's no accounting for taste… :sad2:

Okay Lurkyloo, I just read your blog post on the seriously bad photography and almost peed myself! The pocket sized husband part in the background especially! Oh and the levitating... Seriously bad photography is NO laughing matter and I'd totally be angry too, but your humor over it is awesome! (I'm assuming it took some time to reach that point!)

When were your pictures taken, Lorelei? My fiance and I wondered if maybe it had something to do with the time of year that some of the pictures sucked for poor Carrie. Night shots are hard...but the daytime shots (early morning when the sun is up) seem to be pretty good?

Tiffiny

Our wedding was May 1. We did get the later choice of photo shoot time, and we could have gotten some pics before the sun had come up 100%, but we were running 10-15 mins late...LOL...The night time shots were not so important to me to be honest, but I have seen some that are breathtaking, so I figured if we had the chance to even get a few, that would awesome. That didn't happen, but we are going to do another MK shoot for our VR in 2019! Which I'm happy about! :)

Carrie got married in Feb...I forget what time her shoot was though...

There are two different session times for MK portrait session? Is that the same for Epcot? What are the times?

Sometimes they have a 5:30 am and a 6:30am, but it changes depending on what the MK will let them do. Epcot shoot times are more flexible because World Showcase doesn't open til 11am.

In January we have a 7.30am MK park shoot time (the park opens at 9am). I was surprised there was on that late.

Edit: Our park shoot is actually on Feb 1st. Not in January!

as my daddy used to say, "if you want a better picture, bring a better face"

I agree, Sambycat. WOW.

I'm not sure if that comment was meant to offend or not--but it is completely offensive. Obviously, your pictures will likely NEVER turn out as "gorgeous" as you want them to be...at least mine won't. I am my own worst critic, and understand that the photographers can't "fix" my face. There are general photography principles employed by professionals, however, that separate a professional photograph from the ones you simply snap yourself. When I started this thread--that was what I was referring to. A professional photographer knows how to use light to their advantage, framing, and appropriate distance, etc. If we look at examples from Carrie's pictures, for example--the lack of quality in her pictures have ZERO to do with her face. I think we can all agree that she's GORGEOUS, and her wedding pictures prove it. The only difference between the wedding photos and the MK photos was the photographer....so I think it's not unfair to point at Disney's photography as the culprit.

I don't expect a photographer to be able to make me look beautiful. I do, however, expect them to get a GOOD picture of everything else. And if it isn't, I expect them to Photoshop the crap out of it. There's nothing wrong with that.

Yep...still offended.

Tiffiny

I don't want to get anyone upset, but I think the comment was tongue in cheek. Obviously we know the principles of good photography- that still didn't stop Disney from telling poor Carrie her photos looked fine (which is patently ridiculous, but whatever).

Speaking of Carrie- Carrie, Disney REALLY told you those photos were fine? I'm SHOCKED they defended them. When you look back are you annoyed still, or do you laugh? Your commentary on them is hilarious, and it's funny to ME, but I didn't spend over a grand on them!

I don't want to get anyone upset, but I think the comment was tongue in cheek. Obviously we know the principles of good photography- that still didn't stop Disney from telling poor Carrie her photos looked fine (which is patently ridiculous, but whatever).

Speaking of Carrie- Carrie, Disney REALLY told you those photos were fine? I'm SHOCKED they defended them. When you look back are you annoyed still, or do you laugh? Your commentary on them is hilarious, and it's funny to ME, but I didn't spend over a grand on them!

As far as I know...they did defend them, and still to this day. I think it will bite them in the butt though, eventually. I am supposed to have a discussion soon-ish with Disney photography about using them for my wedding (as that's kind of our plan). When I had a meeting with my consultant last Friday to get my major questions out of the way--I emailed her all my questions up front. In my line of questioning was a substantial section regarding the quality of Disney photography--complete with exhibits.

Carrie's photos.

I was like..."Hey Disney--I'm giving you a CRAP ton of money. This other bride gave you a CRAP ton too...and you gave her CRAP. What's up with that?"

Of course, the consultant was like, "I can't speak for the experiences of one bride--but I am confident in the level of ability of our photographers as being world class."

Uh huh...

So, I guess we'll see what Disney Photography says when I talk to them. I'm hoping this Friday (still waiting to hear from my consultant). It's one thing for Disney to tell a bride she's screwed AFTER they already have her money. I think if more brides are willing to call them on their crap before giving them money though--maybe they'll be more inclined to improve.

Tiffiny

Yes, these days I consider it the most expensive laugh I've ever had! :rotfl:

In January we have a 7.30am MK park shoot time (the park opens at 9am). I was surprised there was on that late. Edit: Our park shoot is actually on Feb 1st. Not in January!

I think they have changed the times to later! We are doing our photo shoot on Jan 25. We originally had a 6am pickup time and now it's been changed to 7am! I'm totally happy about this as sunrise is shortly after 7!

I'm hoping for some awesome pictures

We got married on October 17 and used disney photography for the ceremony and had the MKBP right before. (6 am MKBP, 8 am ceremony) we just got our photos yesterday.

Don't get us wrong, we got along just fine with our photographer. The pictures leave a lot to be desired.

IMHO, Gray - scale does not constitute editing.

The photographer particularly favored the heads together/silhouette shots. Us? Not so much. We even made a comment and we were dismissed - she said they make great shots.

Probably my favorites are where we are in front of a shop on main street. Really? We paid that much for a photo in front of a shop that, really, could be anywhere? At least there's a pumpkin mickey on a lamppost that made it into the pictures to prove it was in disney (too bad editing out a lamppost is too much to ask...)

Not MKBP - but since the ceremony was right after - I will also tell you of two big disappointing shots from the ceremony.

From the MKBP, we hopped in the van and drove to the WP. There was a fabulous sunrise and she told us to get out so she can get a picture with the gorgeous sunrise. We do. We smile and look pretty. Get the photos back and it's a completely white background. At least our guests got great shots- themselves - with the sunrise.
The other disappointment? The WP has a gorgeous view. I've seen so many gorgeous pictures with the castle through the window... Too bad instead of getting the castle through the glass, we got the reflection of the flash in our pictures.

Oh, and no pictures with the trellis - but that one I knew that day and was unhappy about lol.

I think we are still going to use Disney (from a budget perspective). I'm crossing my fingers that Disney is a hit or miss...and I guess we'll just take the BIG gamble that we're on the "hit" side.

Thank you MmmBop! I appreciate your perspective...and it just makes me super, duper nervous. Do you mind if I ask which photographer you used?

Tiffiny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter