• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Key Renewal

jadelsp

Mouseketeer
The time has come to decide if I want to renew my Believe keys. I am out of state and went 5 times in the current pass year. I am torn on whether or not to renew. I looked at renewing at the lower enchant tier but with all of Summer blocked it does not seem to work for me. I am so unsure because they are not consistently available for purchase and I do not want to chance deciding I want one later and cannot get one but the huge expense when I am not sure when I will be going again has me questioning the need to renew. I will probably make at least 2 trips this year of at least 3 days each so it is almost a wash. Any thoughts/feedback/advice appreciated.

Similar spot, but with Inspire key. Family likes the MK lounge and the covered area at DCA during Food and Wine….

It would be easier if I could renew keys for everyone, but I’m the one that has it….

The time has come to decide if I want to renew my Believe keys. I am out of state and went 5 times in the current pass year. I am torn on whether or not to renew. I looked at renewing at the lower enchant tier but with all of Summer blocked it does not seem to work for me. I am so unsure because they are not consistently available for purchase and I do not want to chance deciding I want one later and cannot get one but the huge expense when I am not sure when I will be going again has me questioning the need to renew. I will probably make at least 2 trips this year of at least 3 days each so it is almost a wash. Any thoughts/feedback/advice appreciated.
It's a tough choice. I personally decided to renew, though the cost of the Inspire key is formidable now. The mistake I made in my case was not doing monthly payments, but they no longer allow you to put down more than what it's set up for automatically,
which makes the monthly payments higher than I want. I meant to set it up anyway and then just pay it off later in person, but I accidentally paid the whole thing at once. That was tough for a bit!

But when I went this month and last abs realized again how much it means to me, I was so glad I renewed. I go about 4-5 times a year, and probably will go more now since I have family members who want to go with me.

Edited to add that you're only allowed to make the down payment higher than the system automatically sets up if you go in person. I tried calling but was told they can only do it on site. That's a change from what it used to be and I think it's dumb. I live several hundred miles away. You can set up payments their way (which is what I meant to do) and then adjust it in person, but who wants to deal with that on vacation?

Last edited:
There is no guarantee that they will offer new passes for sale. The long term goal is to stop offering them all together.

Also think about how much merchandise and the types of food you'd buy to see if that makes a difference.

I didn't renew and don't regret it. Instead of visiting Disneyland as often, I got to take trips to other parts of the world. My cousin and I who both hadn't renewed only spent 3 days at Disneyland this year which we felt were enough.

We also had believe keys (x4) and were torn to renew. with the uncertainty of the job market and all the inflation, we decided it was better not to be locked into a payment and just save money monthly towards tickets.

We just went over thanksgiving week not having our MKs, and the only thing we missed was MK terrace. We actually did not buy any merch. We didn’t like any of the stuff they had. We still had a blast! We don’t have any trips planned yet for 2024. Our youngest teen is kinda over Disneyland right now, so if we do go, it may just be my husband and I for a very short trip. And we are already debating a Christmas time trip, since that has been our tradition since 2008. (2020 we went to WDW for Xmas). But again, it’s all up in the air. We usually go thanksgiving week, but now debating going the week of Xmas since MKs are blocked. We have been paying attention to wait times. Lol.

It was a really hard decision. We discussed it for months leading up to our renewal date. Good luck with your decision!!

We live in San Diego which, for us, is a bit far to drive up there for a just a day so we always did 2-3 day trips. We have been annual pass/MK holders for 16 years (minus Covid years and another 6 month period where we tried to take a break). Ours expired on February of this year and we didn’t renew. We just did a trip with 5 day parkhopper passes over Thanksgiving and that was enough for us until we return in maybe March or May of next year.

It’s kind of insane how much money we’ve saved by not having Keys and going as often as we did. All of our other vacations not involving Disney were nice but definitely budget vacations. Right now, I am sitting in our rental house on Maui with an amazing ocean view that we would not have splurged on had we still be Keyholders. We’ve figured out that we now value doing non-Disney trips like this more than having Keys. We will still go once or twice a year and I think that will be enough Disney Magic for us.

We live in San Diego which, for us, is a bit far to drive up there for a just a day so we always did 2-3 day trips. We have been annual pass/MK holders for 16 years (minus Covid years and another 6 month period where we tried to take a break). Ours expired on February of this year and we didn’t renew. We just did a trip with 5 day parkhopper passes over Thanksgiving and that was enough for us until we return in maybe March or May of next year.

It’s kind of insane how much money we’ve saved by not having Keys and going as often as we did. All of our other vacations not involving Disney were nice but definitely budget vacations. Right now, I am sitting in our rental house on Maui with an amazing ocean view that we would not have splurged on had we still be Keyholders. We’ve figured out that we now value doing non-Disney trips like this more than having Keys. We will still go once or twice a year and I think that will be enough Disney Magic for us.
This is something I forgot to address. I don't have the same dilemma as to whether or not to renew, as I am only buying for myself. If I were buying for a family, my answer may well have been different.

Trying to decide to renew in January myself, however, if we've booked a room with a Magic Key offer and no longer have a magic key at the time of check in, will we have to pay the normal rate for the room?

Definitely wouldn’t bet on them being available all the time. I haven’t looked in a month, but last time I did they were not selling them, unless it was only the absolutely lowest tier.

I am local, been a passholder for 40+ years. Decided not to renew in 2023.
Paid for a one day ticket during the summer and once during Christmas for Disneyland.
I do not regret that decision.

I may buy into the upcoming 3 day deal in 2024, but I do not regret my decision.
That extra money went to a Universal and Knotts pass, plus a nice road trip vacation.

Our MKs expire in late January. We are doing a 2-3 day trip right before it expires and we’ve decided not to renew (three MKs)

Can you share where you received this information?
Fresh Baked. Parks have been packed with zero Magic Keys. This is the long term goal. They haven't allowed new sales of any magic keys for over a year. All of the guests that thought they could pay $200 a day and apply that to a magic key? Nope. To keep the parks crowded during lower demand periods they will just lower the pricing for single day tickets rather than selling magic keys.

Fresh Baked. Parks have been packed with zero Magic Keys. This is the long term goal. They haven't allowed new sales of any magic keys for over a year. All of the guests that thought they could pay $200 a day and apply that to a magic key? Nope. To keep the parks crowded during lower demand periods they will just lower the pricing for single day tickets rather than selling magic keys.
They absolutely have offered NEW Magic Keys in 2023!

https://allears.net/2023/04/11/hurry-disney-magic-key-passes-are-available-now/

ABSOLUTELY! Got mine in January, activated in April and will renew. Believe works for me and the parks are my “Me Time”. Well, me and Cap, me and Thor, me and Dr. Strange :rotfl2: you get the idea. I go solo, people watch, just have the most relaxing time. I love all the folk at CCI, I feel saffr, DL is like second home. This is what retirement is for…doing what makes YOU happy. I rarely eat in park, although I have a couple must-dos and I rarely buy things unless I see something special, which doesn’t happen very often and is usually either a shirt or a trinket of some kind like my Magic Key keychain.

But I respect the fact that it’s an individual decision, each of us has to choose how to spend whatever disposable income we have.

MK holders were given the opportunity to make reservations for Disney After Dark before the general population. Additionally, they continue to make exclusive merchandise for MK holders. I would think that, if "the goal is to stop offering them all together," they would stop creating opportunities and products that encourage people to purchase Magic Keys.

Last edited:
I appreciate the variety of opinions. I would be renewing for myself and my son my husband is not a fan lol. I have until Saturday to decide and have started looking at our vacation plans for the year to try and help. I love Disneyland and it is my happy place and is something my son and I can do without my husband (has way less vacation time) and have a great time and he does not miss out. I am thinking we may renew for this year and then move back to 1 trip per year. Thank you for all the opinions and thoughts It is appreciated

They’ve definitely offered Magic Keys for sale this year. They offer after dark tickets to MKs before the general public. They offer special experiences and merchandise for MKs. There is an entire dining venue only for MKs. If they didn’t want to sell Keys any longer, they wouldn’t offer renewals at all. There is no reason to wait to stop offering them if they don’t want people to have Keys any longer. They continue to offer Keys because they know Keyholders bring revenue into the parks they wouldn’t otherwise be able to capture. The Keys aren’t going anywhere until it doesn’t make financial sense for Disney, and it doesn’t look like that will happen any time soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter