• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Key Program

Haha, I was on the fence but casually logged into the waiting room this morning. Checked back around 4 p.m. and I was just a few minutes from getting out of the waiting room.

We were on our way back from vacation and dropping DD and DSIL off at the airport as they head back to their new home in LA (they moved there in June from Seattle). Because I plan to visit them often, I thought I might get a key just for myself, thinking then I could run down for a day or two whenever I'm visiting. DH and I stopped on the way home for some wine and tapas to decompress from our vacation runaround, when I saw I was almost into the site. I looked at DH across my glass of wine and asked, "So-- should I get an annual pass?" "Not for me. You mean, just for you?" "Yes, just so I can run down by myself whenever we're there visiting." DH says, "Yes. Buy the pass." So I'm now the proud owner of a Believe key.

Now that there is a new constraint on daily attendance - reservations - Disney will sell as many passes as necessary to meet demand. Meaning, no one should have a problem purchasing the magic key of their choice; getting reservations on their desired dates in the parks is another matter entirely. With Disney Genie+ and up-charges, they will have the opportunity to generate significantly greater revenue streams from lots of guests who will happily embrace any opportunity to throw even more money the Company’s way. I’ve always felt the ultimate success of the magic key program will not be measured by the number of first-time purchases - it be determined by the renewal rates after a year of actual use and experience.

So do you think that means I have to wait until we are at the park so that I have partially used tickets and then upgrade via the app? Or do you think that if I called they could help me upgrade?

You have to scan into the park first and then you should be able to upgrade, or so I am told. I will come back and confirm once I scan into the park tomorrow :)

Got our keys this afternoon. Was able to get a reservation to Dland to boot. Parking and entry were a breeze. Then we went to Starbucks on Main St. Purchased some coffee and used our discount. The CM had to scan my phone twice and then get a manager before she could finish our transaction. Not a big deal, its a new system. Later that night we had dinner at Blue Bayou. I asked the CM how do I use my discount. The CM said he would have to either wright down my pass number or take my phone to scan at the register to complete my transaction. Way to dark to copy down my number. I walked over to the register and had him scan it, a few times. I didn't mind it, but I can see it getting to be a pain after the 12th or 20th time. I luv new tech and all, but why not just issue out the cheapo plastic card ? Is this a ploy to sell us a Magic Key lanyards with a plastic key fob ? Character shaped and every color of the rainbow.

Before I reach out to Disney, has anyone found where to upload the required photos for the Keys? I’ve looked around both the app & DLR website and have not yet found where to do that. Thx.

What photos?
Under Magic Key terms & conditions, General section #1, it says photos are required to be associated with the passes. I took that to mean we had to upload them ourselves, since so much in the new Disney is self-service to minimize interactions with CMs. Maybe we don’t upload them & CM will take them at entrance as before?

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/magic-key-terms-conditions/
  1. Each Passholder must follow Disneyland® Resort’s procedures to have a photo associated with their Pass in Disney’s files for identification purposes. A Passholder without a proper photo on file will not be allowed admission into a Disneyland® Resort theme park. Photos on file for active Passholders must be periodically updated with current photos. At this time, adults must replace their photos every ten (10) years and children (under the age of 18) must replace their photos every three (3) years. Further identification may be required.

j
Under Magic Key terms & conditions, General section #1, it says photos are required to be associated with the passes. I took that to mean we had to upload them ourselves, since so much in the new Disney is self-service to minimize interactions with CMs. Maybe we don’t upload them & CM will take them at entrance as before?

1. Each Passholder must follow Disneyland® Resort’s procedures to have a photo associated with their Pass in Disney’s files for identification purposes. A Passholder without a proper photo on file will not be allowed admission into a Disneyland® Resort theme park. Photos on file for active Passholders must be periodically updated with current photos. At this time, adults must replace their photos every ten (10) years and children (under the age of 18) must replace their photos every three (3) years. Further identification may be required.
Likely just will have your photo taken at the gate the first time you use your pass. Much like the first time you use a multi-day ticket.

They will take it at the gate. They did that for my park hopper and this how they did for the APs in the past.

Just for grins I tried to buy a MK just now. As expected, all passes are still available, and almost no wait.
Haha, that’s how reservations were a few months ago.

also, for the room, what prevents us from printing the barcode and making our own card? I can see them not accepting this at turnstiles, but it’s the same as whipping out your phone and showing the barcode at a store.

Got my Key this morning. I attempted to buy twice last night, but was hit with the over an hour wait. When I checked back, less than an hour later in both instances, I had a message the I missed my turn and to start a new line request. No issues this morning with only a 2 minute wait, but it seemed like everything was moving really slow.

Kind of bummed that I had to choose a starting park for my reservations. I usually go with the flow and when I am staying at the Grand, I go to DCA for a couple hours and then hop to DL. I'll have to get used to doing things differently, but man I used to knock out everything I wanted to do at DCA in the first 2 hours of park opening. Anyhow, booked a couple days in October and Dapper Days in November. I may or may not decide to go before then.

FOMO is hitting hard today... if we don't actually have a trip planned there is no reason to buy an MK in the first 66 days aside from the little bonuses of a pin, button, etc, right?

I have a trip in September but already have my California Resident ticket and a Party ticket. We want the SWAG for being the first so we bought and doing monthly. We think we might activate it in December but if not no big deal since we have a year to start it.

Haha, that’s how reservations were a few months ago.

also, for the room, what prevents us from printing the barcode and making our own card? I can see them not accepting this at turnstiles, but it’s the same as whipping out your phone and showing the barcode at a store.
Making your own cards with a barcode should be fine as long as it is scannable and your info pops up on their screens but, I do prefer just having a screenshot of it on my phone to have it easily accessible.

Now that the release day furor (and hopefully some of the hiccups) have passed, I would love any reports from people upgrading from partially-used tickets regarding the process and specifically what value was applied if you were updating from a ticket purchased at a discount through a third-party (e.g., does ticket bridging work for these). I know there were sources reporting that gift cards can't be used to pay for upgrades, so I'd love any firsthand accounts regarding that as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter