Magic Key Passes

I’m operating on the assumption that there will not be renewals at this point. Chapek Disney is a company I’m realizing I want no part of.

I’m operating on the assumption that there will not be renewals at this point. Chapek Disney is a company I’m realizing I want no part of.
The absolute silence by Disney speaks volumes. Others may (loudly) disagree, but I truly think the ‘unfavorable mix’ comment about ticket holders was directed directly at Magic Key holders. They’d rather not have us in the park.

If I’m wrong please let me know when that renewal link is active 🙃

Last edited:
The absolute silence by Disney speaks volumes. Others may (loudly) disagree, but I truly think the ‘unfavorable mix’ comment about ticket holders was directed directly at Magic Key holders. They’d rather not have us in the park.

If I’m wrong please let me know when that renewal link is active 🙃
Totally agree. I bet the possible discontinue of the annual passes at Disneyland has been brewing on thier minds long before Covid.

FWIW, my son received this response from Disney when asking about renewals: "We will share details about renewals at a later date. We will soon offer all current MK holders the opportunity to renew into one of several passes available in the program. We will share details about renewals at a later date."
Yes, they repeated the "later date" line twice. He got this reply on 8/5.

My best guess is they'll rebrand it, remove the lowest tier, raise prices, and get rid of the monthly payment plan. And maybe allow renewals first before opening it up to the general public. Best case scenario, I think the cheapest option will be a minimum of $700 up front.

An alternate theory I've had is that they'll limit the number of overall (and/or monthly) uses of the pass and tier it this way, perhaps even creating a system without blackout dates or maybe somehow charging more "uses" on higher tier single ticket dates than lower tier dates. I'm actually somewhat in favor of this as an option personally. I'd be completely on board with a pass that allows me say 20 days a year, but I get to choose the dates.

FWIW, my son received this response from Disney when asking about renewals: "We will share details about renewals at a later date. We will soon offer all current MK holders the opportunity to renew into one of several passes available in the program. We will share details about renewals at a later date."
I got the "magic keys are currently not available for purchase and renewals are not available. Please continue to check the disneyland website for information when it becomes available."

At this point nothing would surprise me between using the same MK system to nothing. I don't think the lawsuit is causing the problem. It's just the bottom line. It will be interesting to see how disneyland treats its "most loyal" base.

I agree though. Dump the so-cal pass and just offer discounted tickets to locals. This reminds me of how Vegas starting treating their locals several years ago. The strip essentially told the locals they don't need their money and stopped giving discounts and other perks.

Hopefully that cast member is right.

There are theoretically people who are currently sitting on expired passes. They could have bought and used a muilti day ticket and upgraded on the 25th. We did that which is why our last day is the 22nd. In theory they could have done that and had a pass expire on the 12th or 13th.

That would be a crappy situation if that were the case and the key 2.0 was only available for renewals.

I agree too. When Disneyland opened in 1955 the population of greater Los Angeles was about 5 million.

Now, all Southern California zipcodes are eligible for Magic Keys. With the direct daily trains etc from as far away as San Luis Obispo, that makes it all local. The SoCal population is 24 million. Between the crushing local population flooding the parks, no room to expand in Anaheim, the gang issues with rising violence and more, I would think it irresponsible if Disney did not give serious consideration to ending the MK program there. Disney does not have its own police force and has no prosecution authority. Those are strictly governmental functions. They can ban guests and raise prices.

What do gang issues and rising violence have to do with having annual passes at Disneyland? None of those types of people are in the parks…. We go all the time and have never seen any of this.

I feel like this means they’re changing the program. If the program wasn’t changing, then what’s the hold up?

Hopefully that cast member is right.

There are theoretically people who are currently sitting on expired passes. They could have bought and used a muilti day ticket and upgraded on the 25th. We did that which is why our last day is the 22nd. In theory they could have done that and had a pass expire on the 12th or 13th.

That would be a crappy situation if that were the case and the key 2.0 was only available for renewals.
My son asked what if the renewal opportunity is announced after his MK expires, would he still be able to renew. The response was "We do not have any information on that at the moment."

What do gang issues and rising violence have to do with having annual passes at Disneyland? None of those types of people are in the parks…. We go all the time and have never seen any of this.
Yeah, that came out of left field. I don’t think this person lives anywhere in the vicinity of Orange County. There are no gang problems at Disneyland. Some people have choice words for AP’s but I’ve never been called a gang member lol.

Yeah, that came out of left field. I don’t think this person lives anywhere in the vicinity of Orange County. There are no gang problems at Disneyland. Some people have choice words for AP’s but I’ve never been called a gang member lol.
Well, at this point I’ve been called a deplorable and unfavorable, might as well throw gang member in the mix. I’m trying to catch all the group based insults.

I think we're all anxious about ANY news about MK renewals and Disney Parks silence at this point is bringing every speculation & finger pointing out. They might have a PR mess on their hands if local Disney fans are treated like THE problem to DLR's per Capita underperformance. Why offer local ticket packages or SoCal passes then?They made their cake and had to eat it too. The ball is in Disney's court, they've created this program flaws and all. Who knows if they'll really offer renewals to a pass program?
I'm grateful that our family have been MK holders, we are very aware not everyone gets that opportunity. We enjoy every moment we get to spend in the parks together and that's the way Walt would have wanted it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter