Magic Key Pass Advice

Yeah, I just found that too. I would take it with a grain of salt for now. Both statements are technically correct. Disney has declared those passes sold out for now. And Disney is not currently renewing those passes. Maybe they are "currently not available for renewal" because none of those passes have yet reached the time of their renewal window since they only first started selling in August. I wouldn't get too concerned until the renewal windows open up or an official statement comes out from Disney stating explicitly that certain pass types are not available for renewal (maybe that's happening as I type this or maybe it will happen in a couple months or not at all). I'd like to see someone more reliable than these guys post this information.

Not exactly the most reliable source of news.

This is what Disney's official position currently is:

RENEWALS: The value of any separate ticket media may not be used toward the renewal of an existing Pass. A “renewal” is the purchase of another year (or specified period of the Pass if different than a year) of Pass benefits before the expiration date of a currently existing and valid Pass. All Pass types are available for renewal unless explicitly stated otherwise. Any renewal discounts are valid during the dates specified for such discounts, but in no event shall such discounts apply after the applicable current Pass’s expiration date.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/magic-key-terms-conditions/

And no where is it currently "explicitly stated otherwise". That article is nothing more than clickbait without it.

IF this is true, man, things are about to hit the fan if all if these Key holders can no longer renew and have to dump into the Enchant Key... i dont see how any passes stay open now.

They may need to revamp the pass program again, but with a hefty 20-30% hike.

Edit: Looks like this may just confusing verbage as Key dates are not coming up yet, but still, concerning, as the story originates from a tweet of a pass expiring 5/1/22 that was backdated to that date. My only thought were the lawsuits. Maybe they want to ensure nobody can hold a no-blackout admission Dream key and push everyone into lower or new ones other than Believe. But story is concerning that they have an expired date of 5/1/22 and cannot renew the pass at all.

Last edited:
I figure we won't know anything until July when August expiring Key holders are up for renewal. I know at WDW (where they also suspended sales of their top tier passes), they are still renewing them for existing passholders. I'm hoping they'll apply that protocol here, but that's obviously pure speculation.

IF this is true, man, things are about to hit the fan if all if these Key holders can no longer renew and have to dump into the Enchant Key... i dont see how any passes stay open now.

Edit: Looks like this may just confusing verbage as Key dates are not coming up yet, but still, concerning, as the story originates from a tweet of a pass expiring 5/1/22 that was backdated to that date. My only thought were the lawsuits. Maybe they want to ensure nobody can hold a no-blackout admission Dream key and push everyone into lower or new ones other than Believe. But story is concerning that they have an expired date of 5/1/22 and cannot renew the pass at all.
No Magic Keys can have an expiration date of 5/1/22 since they didn’t even go on sale until August of 2021.

No Magic Keys can have an expiration date of 5/1/22 since they didn’t even go on sale until August of 2021.

Anyone who upgraded a ticket that had a first use prior to 8/25/2021 will have a backdated expiration date as has been normal operating procedure for upgrading a ticket to a pass for years. In this case it was a military ticket that was first used 5/1/2021 and a unique situation.

The regular renewing information is still appearing in the app under my Dream Key, so I'm not too worried about it just yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220420-192555_Disneyland.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420-192555_Disneyland.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 14
IMO, the Dream key is the only one worth getting, and if you will not be visiting at least once a month, just use regular tickets for sporadic visits (and take advantage of So Cal resident special offers if you are eligible).
Whether other keys are “worth it“ depends on how often someone visits and on which days of the week. I’m local and the Imagine Key is worth it to me as I visit about once a month.It’s a lot less than buying separate tickets for those visits. I usually stay for only half a day and park at Garden Walk.

Anyone who upgraded a ticket that had a first use prior to 8/25/2021 will have a backdated expiration date as has been normal operating procedure for upgrading a ticket to a pass for years. In this case it was a military ticket that was first used 5/1/2021 and a unique situation.
Ahhh that makes sense. Definitely not a normal renewal situation. I wonder how they will handle it.

I hate to admit it, but you do have a good point. Maybe they need do better than that. I hope they fix something.

Last edited:
After all the recent Magic Keyholder surveys, I bet that either the Dream Key comes back with different (but still top tier) perks or never comes back and is replaced by a new top tier key.

After all the recent Magic Keyholder surveys, I bet that either the Dream Key comes back with different (but still top tier) perks or never comes back and is replaced by a new top tier key.
So receive bad reviews, huh? Well, I can't blame people. I just hope they make a new and better pass someday.

Totally only my opinion and based on nothing concrete, but I wouldn't be surprised if DL decides not to offer a 'no blockout' pass until the current lawsuit is settled in their favor, or they do away with the reservation system, whichever comes first.

When/if they do offer one I think it's going to be limited in number.

I live out of State (out of country, actually) and have the Enchant Key. It’s been great my last 2 trips (Oct 2021 and Dec 2021) and more than made up for its ticket cost between those 2 trips - not even taking into consideration the discount on food and merch. As I’m not local the parking isn’t a big deal for me.

Haven’t had any issues booking reservations (I honestly think people just don’t do their research) and was able to get last minute day-of reservations on my last 2 trips. I had to bump my April trip by a week and was blocked out, but that was due to an unchangeable circumstance on my end. I’m planning another solo trip in late May or June before my pass is blocked for most of July/early August, which is when we as a family travel elsewhere anyways, and will for sure use it when we relocate to SoCal in August. Very pleased.

Now the question for me will be which one to get my kids when we *do* move. Hoping one of the upper tier opens up for more weekend availability.

Looks like the dream and believe keys won’t be allowed to be renewed.
I heard the same thing. FreshBaked Disney had a whole episode on how they may retire the pass due to language, legal, blah blah, but APs are not going away. There will most likely be another new pass with new restrictions on reservations and blackouts. I'm waiting on an AP purchase after my DVC purchase goes through anyway (fingers Xd).

Haven’t had any issues booking reservations (I honestly think people just don’t do their research) and was able to get last minute day-of reservations on my last 2 trips. I had to bump my April trip by a week and was blocked out, but that was due to an unchangeable circumstance on my end. I’m planning another solo trip in late May or June before my pass is blocked for most of July/early August, which is when we as a family travel elsewhere anyways, and will for sure use it when we relocate to SoCal in August. Very pleased.

The issues are more common specific popular days. For example, I could not get one for Disney+ Day and my cousin could not for the weekend of night shows returning. With the reservation limits, it's not uncommon to need to make reservations within a few days of the actual date of the visit by which point, you may have to check multiple times during the day to catch a reservation. It's often easier to just make other plans rather than deal with that annoyance and uncertainty.

Here's a challenge for you: Make a reservation for Disneyland start for tomorrow as a keyholder. The reason you're waiting till today is because 3 of your 4 reservations are tied up in future visits and you are in the parks today. You can't make a reservation from 9PM to 9:30PM (you're watching World of Color) or 10PM to 10:30PM (you're driving home) and you'd like to sleep by 11PM to be able to wake up for rope drop at Disneyland tomorrow. How many times did you have to check the site? While this is doable, being annoyed by this process isn't from a lack of research.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter