Magic Bands: Why not get them on check in?

wecksell

Earning My Ears
Why would I have magic bands shipped to my house? Can't I get them in person when I check into a WDW hotel?

They are an added cost now. Also if you want special ones it's better to send to the house so they don't get "lost". If you do mobile check in you can use them to get in the room. Sure you can also use the app for that aswell.

They used to come in nice box and coupons when sent to the house. I don't know about now tho.

Added cost? I thought the bands were free? Like, aren't they the room key for the hotel? Also, don't need anything special in the way of fancy designs on them.

Added cost? I thought the bands were free? Like, aren't they the room key for the hotel? Also, don't need anything special in the way of fancy designs on them.
They are no longer free. You can use your phone for everything they can do. They are now just a convenience item for paying for stuff, tapping into LL and the parks. The plain solid color ones are 10$ if you pre purchase.

They are not free any longer. You can now also open your door using your phone so you don’t necessarily need a magic band.

Wait, what? They're $10? Are my kids supposed to carry their phones all over disney world? Are my kids supposed to have phones? And if we get the kids their own room keys (they still have those, right?) can you use an adults phone to tap multiple guests (like, say, children, I've heard Disney attracts younger customers than, say, a Neil Young concert...) into a lightning lane or a park?

Thank you both for your replies.

---matt

Wait, what? They're $10? Are my kids supposed to carry their phones all over disney world? Are my kids supposed to have phones? And if we get the kids their own room keys (they still have those, right?) can you use an adults phone to tap multiple guests (like, say, children, I've heard Disney attracts younger customers than, say, a Neil Young concert...) into a lightning lane or a park?

Thank you both for your replies.

---matt
If you have young kids I would say just purchase the bands. The other option would be to issue room keys(each linked to each person)to everyone and they hold on to them all day to use instead of a magic band.

Disney no longer has to offer them due to the other options but with family's with kids they are just so easy they know folks will buy them.

Also to add. If you have Google pay or apple pay you can link everyone's tickets to it and scan your phone at the tap places. Just is a bit of a hassle due to swiping to the next ticket and such.

Hmmm. Can I use an apple watch instead of a phone? Because then I've already got the worlds most expensive magic band, and so does some other family members...

This is all highly informative. Thank you.

Hmmm. Can I use an apple watch instead of a phone? Because then I've already got the worlds most expensive magic band, and so does some other family members...

This is all highly informative. Thank you.
Yes you can

Actually there really aren’t any available for $10. Only one that is a blush/ skin tone color. The rest are $20-$30.
When you look at your reservation there is an option to buy magic bands. Is this where you looked?

When you look at your reservation there is an option to buy magic bands. Is this where you looked?
Inventory is very poor at the moment. The plain colors are all sold out.

That said, I don't know why more people aren't buying the 50th anniversary ones. They're so cool looking.

Inventory is very poor at the moment. The plain colors are all sold out.

That said, I don't know why more people aren't buying the 50th anniversary ones. They're so cool looking.
Yea just looked the only color was blush. That's kinda crazy considering the parks are full of them. Maybe getting rid of stock for the magic band + styles soon.

- like others have said, magic bands are not free anymore
- if you are staying at a Disney resort, buying before gives you a good discount
- magic bands are not needed, but are convenient
- you can use a phone or you can use a card. No big deal. your kids don't need a phone, just get a physical card and use it just like a magic band

The magicband+ is supposed to be released this year but no dates yet. We are heading down in September and I have decided to not order a band in advance and wait for the new ones. Worse case scenario, I will use my phone for first day and pick up a Food &Wine band in Epcot. If I have to pay anyway, might as well get a nice one.

I'm an international visitor (UK) and we pick our Magic Bands up at the resort front desk when we check in. This is because they're not shipped outside America. I've ordered the 50th anniversary one for my trip later this year.

There is another thread talking about the advantages/disadvantages of MagicMobile vs Magic Bands and I agree with the folks that said MagicMobile is a pain when you have your kids' tickets on your phone. I was excited to try it in November when we went and definitely wasn't paying for Magic Bands. After my first experience scanning into a park with MagicMobile, I just used the plastic cards they gave us at check in for the remainder of the trip as it took a fraction of the time scanning in.

The phone never scanned in as quickly as the plastic cards and it was a pain flipping to the next ticket on the phone, remembering which design went with each child, and then waiting for it to scan. It was much easier for me to carry everyone's plastic cards and hand them out as we approached the scanner. Same for Genie+ if you end up using that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter