Magic bands on Amazon vs Disney website

eric8

Mouseketeer
I'm looking to purchase some magic bands but there is not a whole lot to choose from on the Disney site. However, I see where you can purchase some on Amazon and they have more themes available. I'm assuming Disney's is Magic Band Plus. But can you use the regular magic bands instead (such as if I were to buy one off of Amazon)? I know you can buy 'skins' for them. Just wanting some suggestions and opinions. Thanks!

The Magic Band Plus is a version that is interactive with certain features in the parks, it lights up and you are able to use it to play a "game" in Galaxy's Edge. They do have to be charged at least every night for the interactive elements to function. A regular Magic Band does not light up or vibrate, it will work for park admission, opening hotel room doors, photo opportunities, etc as long as it is linked with your MDE profile (the Plus has to be linked, too and also performs these functions in addition to the additional ones listed). The regular Magic Band is less expensive and does not need to be charged. You can buy them on eBay and Amazon, make sure they are new and still in their original packaging. Once linked to a person, it cannot be reassigned to anyone else. You can also purchase them on Disney property, there is a store at Disney Springs that has a huge selection. I have both versions and prefer the regular band, I already have too many devices to charge!

I've purchased MB on Ebay with no issues. Purchase from someone with good reviews and make sure they are NEW. There are some on there that say they have been linked so be careful. I have not purchased from Amazon.

I’ve purchased retired MB’s off eBay that were new and sealed in the package with zero issues. I wouldn’t buy an open one unless your intent is to swap out the puck for one you already have.

I also would never buy any type of magic band from an online reseller, too many things could go wrong and then you are left with something you can't use. Way too many scams on ebay and I am sure the seller will confidently tell you they are brand new ............until you find out they aren't and then are worthless. Not worth the potentiall hassle to me. Any private party claiming to be selling a lot of some item on ebay makes me wonder if they obtained it in some dubious manner. Since magic bands can't be reassigned, there is really no value in someone trying to sell you a previously used band.

Is there anywhere to purchase regular magic bands from disney prior to arriving? I don't want magic band +.

Is there anywhere to purchase regular magic bands from disney prior to arriving? I don't want magic band +.
If you have a reservation at a Disney resort, you can go to your MDE and see what MB's they have for pre-arrival, plus they are about $10 less. They will be shipped to your home address before you arrive, if there is enough time. Otherwise, they ship and hold them at the resort front desk. You can also periodically check ShopDisney. I have bought MB's from eBay and have had no issues. You do have to be careful, check the seller's ratings and the return/refund policy. Make sure they are listed as new and unopened.

They may still show 2.0s available on MDE but I can definitely tell they are planning on eventually phasing them out especially since Disneyland & DCL only use the + styles

I bought a couple on ebay. They should be listed as "unlinked" and then you can link them in MDE.

I bought a couple on ebay. They should be listed as "unlinked" and then you can link them in MDE.

Purchasing from a second hand dealer is buyer beware as Disney states they are non-transferrable. If you choose to purchase from someone other than Disney, you will be out of luck when you get there as they will not be able to link them to your account.

Some may have successfully done this but not all resellers are reliable.

Amazon and Ebay are reputable websites. They offer protection for buyers in the event that an item is misrepresented. Just make sure the item is clearly advertised as NEW and the package is unopened. I would order in advance of your trip in the event there is a problem so you have time to make an alternate purchase. I've bought several magic bands off ebay that were sealed in the package and they worked perfectly.

You can link your band as soon as you get it. You do not need to wait until you're on Disney property. My bands from Ebay came with a Disney map for each park, which was a nice added touch. Make sure you're purchasing new bands from a reputable seller and you will be fine. I agree a lot of these resale bands are coming from people trying to make a few bucks off their purchases at the Character Outlet store.

I need to get some new magic bands for our October trip but I don’t want the magic band+ version. I looked on shop disney and they mostly sell only the new version. Amazon however does sell them,has any bought one from Amazon? Are they legit? I was wondering with the new partnership if that’s where Disney has chosen to sell them.

There’s no official partnership, they’re sold by a third party seller. Theyre likely legit but if you’re going to buy from them I’d read the reviews first.

Thanks. That’s what I thought. I guess I’ll have to keep checking back with shop Disney to see if they replenish their stock or wait until we arrive I guess.

Thanks. That’s what I thought. I guess I’ll have to keep checking back with shop Disney to see if they replenish their stock or wait until we arrive I guess.
If you are staying on Disney property, you can buy them through your MDE. They are discounted by $10 for pre arrival. They have a decent selection of the “regular” Magic Bands. I’ve successfully bought MB’s on eBay, just make sure the MB is new and unopened and check the seller’s reviews and refund policy.

If you are staying on Disney property, you can buy them through your MDE. They are discounted by $10 for pre arrival. They have a decent selection of the “regular” Magic Bands. I’ve successfully bought MB’s on eBay, just make sure the MB is new and unopened and check the seller’s reviews and refund policy.
Where in the MDE app do I go to purchase magic bands before we go?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter