• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic bands at the fort

Scherzermk

Mouseketeer
We are tent camping for the first time in May. I saw a post that said magic bands are needed to get in comfort stations at night. Does that mean we will get new magic bands sent to us even though we don't need room keys? We do have some leftover from a previous trip we were planning on using anyway. Thanks

They'll send you new ones. If I remember the bands are only needed for the comfort stations' bathrooms from midnight to 6am
And to get into the laundry room any time of the day you need to use them.
Have a great time!

We are tent camping for the first time in May. I saw a post that said magic bands are needed to get in comfort stations at night. Does that mean we will get new magic bands sent to us even though we don't need room keys? We do have some leftover from a previous trip we were planning on using anyway. Thanks
Yes, you will get new magicbands. I believe there is the option to decline the bands. The style of the magicbands has recently changed too.

You can decline the new magic bands if you like and use your old ones.

Just so you understand how the MBs work, it uses an RFID technology to get access to things. There are 2 types of RFID technologies in the MBs. The first is "Active" and requires a battery. The Battery powers the RFID to send the signal to an "Awaiting" transponder nearby. Among other things, this is used on the rides to "Automatically" assign your picture to your account (Photopass). The "Active" RFID in the MBs has about a 2 year life and this is a result of the battery being sealed in the band. The Active technology is great when you need a longer "Range"

The second is a "Passive" RFID. This takes a signal from a nearby transponder (RF Wave) and uses it to provide the "Power" for the Passive RFID. This allows the Passive RFID to send the "Response" back to the transponder, but because the power is VERY low, the range is VERY short (these are the ones that you have to put your BAND right up to the sensor). Effectively, the passive technology will last forever.

All that being said, the bathroom doors (after Midnight and before 6 am I believe) and Laundry room doors are using the PASSIVE technology, thus you could use your OLD bands. You just need to make sure that they are still linked in your MDE account. I believe you can have up to 5 Magic Bands and/or Key Cards linked to your account.

All that being said, the bathroom doors (after Midnight and before 6 am I believe) and Laundry room doors are using the PASSIVE technology, thus you could use your OLD bands. You just need to make sure that they are still linked in your MDE account. I believe you can have up to 5 Magic Bands and/or Key Cards linked to your account.

That's a good explanation Paul.

Yes at night for a run to the CS, remember your MB. Don't be like me and forget it back at the camper. :scared:

Yes at night for a run to the CS, remember your MB. Don't be like me and forget it back at the camper. :scared:
For this VERY reason, the DW wanted a camper with "Facilities". She does NOT want to make a "Midnight Run" never mind having to have the wherewithal to grab the Magic Bands.

That actually kind of reminds me of a Magic band Incident I had one year. It wasn't with a CS though. I was the person that always wore my MB. Because if I didn't, I would forget it. Meanwhile the DW and Kids would take theirs off at night and put them back on when going back out. (As a side note, I do the same thing with my WORK badge. It hangs from my belt loop wherever I go regardless if I am at work or on the weekend. Because I WILL forget to grab it.)

Anyway, we were going to the MK one morning. Took the bus... Got to the settlement and as we were walking towards the dock, I realized I didn't have my MB. Oh Crap! So I turn back around. Get the Bus to the meadows because it was there and getting ready to leave (We were in the 1400 loop but there is an easy "Cross over at the meadows area). Run from the meadows to my site (1401). Get my MB.... Went back out to the Bus stop (yellow run), but it's no where in sight. Do the "Run/Walk" back to the settlement and the dock and made it before the DW and family were able to get on the Boat (which was just getting ready to load.)

I certainly got my steps in that day, let me tell ya! :faint:

Thanks for the active vs passive explanation. I will definitely order new bands now because I want full use of memory maker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter