Magic Bands - Anyone else still get excited when they arrive in the mail?

Love them! I decorate our Xmas tree with old magic bands, linking then together like a wreath. I’ll always order new ones, even being able to use my Apple watch to get in.

I was looking at Magic Bands on shopdisney the other day. I thought there were much fewer to choose from than in the past. Started thinking are magic bands being discontinued?

Instead of waiting by the mailbox, you can experience the thrill immediately by going to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store and downloading the Disney MagicMobile app.

The Disney MagicMobile service is taking over and Magic Bands are being deemphasized. They have not discontinued Magic Bands, but I suspect they will just fade away.

People without mobile phones can use plastic cards.

While Disney did make money selling bands and various add-ons for them, I'm sure they have run the numbers and it is probably more cost-effective to just use the app. Maybe they will sell some digital add-ons for the app. Pick your own Mickey skin for $19.99 or something.

Instead of waiting by the mailbox, you can experience the thrill immediately by going to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store and downloading the Disney MagicMobile app.

The Disney MagicMobile service is taking over and Magic Bands are being deemphasized. They have not discontinued Magic Bands, but I suspect they will just fade away.

People without mobile phones can use plastic cards.

While Disney did make money selling bands and various add-ons for them, I'm sure they have run the numbers and it is probably more cost-effective to just use the app. Maybe they will sell some digital add-ons for the app. Pick your own Mickey skin for $19.99 or something.

It just doesn't work for me! We have gone long enough that the "cards" were the thing when we first started. If you had a yellow card it indicated you were a club level guest and let cast members know that by the card. I know you can still use the card and the app but for me ... if I have my phone out for that stuff - I will use it for work. No discipline here! With the magic band I can leave my phone in my backpack and/or pocket and try to escape it. I know people say - just don't respond but for me - if I see it - I have to respond. Owning my own business and always working under deadlines has done that to me. And, I never have the latest and greatest phone so my battery is always in need of charging most times. The magic band gives me peace of mind. And the card simply isn't as much fun.

I love the magic bands. Got my first pre-arrival exclusive this year which was awesome (the Fantasmic Sorcerer Mickey) Having them personalize it with your name is a really cool feature. I hope that they do not phase the magic bands out. They are such a cool souvenir of the trip and are very useful for a whole plethora of things. I hate that they are trying to make you use your own personal phone for everything now.

I’m excited to see them in the box. We ordered our first ones over a year ago and we have postponed twice. Third time is the charm and we are excited to wear them for the first time!

I love the magic bands. Got my first pre-arrival exclusive this year which was awesome (the Fantasmic Sorcerer Mickey) Having them personalize it with your name is a really cool feature. I hope that they do not phase the magic bands out. They are such a cool souvenir of the trip and are very useful for a whole plethora of things. I hate that they are trying to make you use your own personal phone for everything now.
I so agree. My phone equates to work ... and at Disney I prefer to not think about work.

It feels like a "hang tight, you're almost there!" treat -- that package always comes when I'm feeling stressed!! You are not alone.

Just had to drop this note. We just returned from 5 days/4 nights at the YC. The one thing I noticed at the parks is that WAY TOO MANY people are constantly looking at their phones. Too many times to count I had people literally run into me while walking because they were trying to navigate the Disney app for wait times, mobile ordering, etc. (I know because I asked them - it became sorta of a joke by the end of the trip). I would jokingly say -- I see you are trying to figure out all things Disney on the app -- Most would smile and say - yes! I know we can't turn back time but it was nice when people were looking where they were walking rather than looking down.

I really enjoy the feel of using the magic bands (bought way too many) and receiving that box just built the excitement for your upcoming vacation.

For me it was a game changer in the ease of enjoying your vacation; not having to worry about pulling out your wallet, room key or phone for every little thing felt so carefree and “magical”. Similar to getting off a plane and getting onto the ME without having to worry about the typical luggage hassle.

I get why they’re moving solely towards mobile phones but it feels like such a lost opportunity to me and contributes to Disney’s lack of imagination in how they view their parks now.

Yes! I get all giddy every time. The fun part for me is finding a safe place where I won’t forget where they b/c I always book so far in advance. But that moment we open the box is always an awesome one :D

I wish there were more new ones we were excited about. We each have like 4 at home and well over 10 in our owners locker: I would be excited to get new ones if I love their design.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter