Magic Band worth it for one trip every 5 years?

I think it depends on how long your there. If your just doing a quick 1-2 day weekend then no i would go with the original card/ticket they give you. If your going for longer than that i would say yes get them. It gets annoying pulling out a card each fastpass you use and everytime you have a photo taken. We were there for 7 days and stayed off property and we still got them. We came home with over 400 pictures on our memory maker so we scanned bands for that a lot. Also, we averaged 6-8 fastpass a day to scan for. My kids who are now 19 and 26 commented how much easier it was with magic bands this time then it was the last time we went and just used cards. While we were there we got behind 3 different families that couldn't remember which person went with each card because your fingerprint had to match each time. They would just keep scanning and switching people until 1 worked. That seems really annoying.....to them and to the people behind them.

to answer the original question......if i were only going once every 5 years, and staying off site....i would NOT spend money on a magic bad. plenty of other things i would spend $20 a head on before that.

Same.

While we were there we got behind 3 different families that couldn't remember which person went with each card because your fingerprint had to match each time.

If only someone at some point had thought to mark the cards in some way. Ask for stickers from a CM, snag a sharpie from someone in line for autographs, etc.

I find nothing extra-convenient about a band vs a card. But then I always had (and still do have) a nice lanyard with an excellent hardsided waterproof card case on it, so a card is *right there*. Easy peasy.

You pretty much have to be spending more than 10 days in the parks for an Annual Pass purchase just to break even. In order for it to save you money, you really need to be able to make two trips within the year.

As I said, depending on the length of the trip (and now the dates as well), but:
7 day park hopper= $511
Memory Maker = $169
Staying off-site, daily parking x 7days = $175
$855

Platinum pass = $894
20% off merchandise or other discounts = ?

It just depends how the numbers shake out for a group's travel plans.

As I said, depending on the length of the trip (and now the dates as well), but:
7 day park hopper= $511
Memory Maker = $169
Staying off-site, daily parking x 7days = $175
$855

Platinum pass = $894
20% off merchandise or other discounts = ?

It just depends how the numbers shake out for a group's travel plans.

The numbers work out significantly differently with Park Hopper. I was thinking about base tickets when I did the math. Even for dates in the middle of the summer, a 10 day base ticket can be had for $462. Add in 10 days of parking, and the Memory Maker, and it is still $13 more expensive to buy an Annual Pass. With Park Hopper, you would still have to do more than 8 days to break even (not including merchandise discount, since there is no way we can predict what anyone may, or may not actually save with it).

I agree with @bumbershoot - lanyards are cheaper, can be used for things other than Disney, and are just as convenient (the one exception is that MBs are better for pool time). We use lanyards and plastic cards for Uni and we have EP so they have to get scanned for every ride. They're just as convenient. They're fun too since you can get them in all kinds of characters (got ours at 5 below).

You pretty much have to be spending more than 10 days in the parks for an Annual Pass purchase just to break even. In order for it to save you money, you really need to be able to make two trips within the year.

A general statement like this is just not something anyone should go by. For us, we buy enough stuff and meals that get discounted with the annual pass that its worth it for one person to upgrade for a 5 day trip or more for certain. For a 4 day trip we'd probably have to do the math. It really depends on your individual spending plans more than anything.

haha my aunt was only in the parks for 3 days and won't be back for who knows how long, and she bought a band in AK because she wanted the Pandora one. lol

A general statement like this is just not something anyone should go by. For us, we buy enough stuff and meals that get discounted with the annual pass that its worth it for one person to upgrade for a 5 day trip or more for certain. For a 4 day trip we'd probably have to do the math. It really depends on your individual spending plans more than anything.
A general statement is exactly what it's name implies, it is general. If someone asks a general question, without giving the minutia of their spending habits, dining habits, whether they would buy Memory Maker, or spring for Park Hopper tickets, then really, the only way to answer them is with a general answer.

Were they to supply all of that detail, I'd have been happy to do some math for them, and give them a more individualized answer. I'm glad the AP works out for you on such a short trip. I would hazard a guess that it does not work out so favorably for most visitors unless they are going to be spending a good bit more time in the parks.

If the OP would like to spell out for me every detail of their intended stay, I'd be more than happy to calculate what they may, or may not save by upgrading to an AP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter