Magic Band Question

smallworldnh

DIS Veteran
Good Morning! We have our Magic Bands from our trip last October. Can we reuse these for our May trip? If so, is it automatically linked to MDE and is there anything else we need to do, like do we have to activate it somehow? Thank you!

Yes, you can definitely use them again, and no, you don't need to do anything. You can double-check in your account that the bands are still active -- but they should be. (I used our bands from 2019 during our 2021 trip, and I didn't remember to check. Worked fine.)

Yes, you can definitely use them again, and no, you don't need to do anything. You can double-check in your account that the bands are still active -- but they should be. (I used our bands from 2019 during our 2021 trip, and I didn't remember to check. Worked fine.)
Excellent! Thank you so much!

Hi all, I would also like to resuse my bands, but on MDE its offering for us to buy some for our upcoming trip so I dont think theyre linked, yet there is a list of our names with all of the magicbands we've ever had..Id like to link/check them but dont want to mess anything up as neither of these really apply to us..is it as easy as pressing link and then ensuring I select the bands I physically have or should I go in thru each persons magicband link and select the ones I have physically?

1658503746465.png1658503560611.png

Hi all, I would also like to resuse my bands, but on MDE its offering for us to buy some for our upcoming trip so I dont think theyre linked, yet there is a list of our names with all of the magicbands we've ever had..Id like to link/check them but dont want to mess anything up as neither of these really apply to us..is it as easy as pressing link and then ensuring I select the bands I physically have or should I go in thru each persons magicband link and select the ones I have physically?

View attachment 686961View attachment 686960
If you have a package booked and you click the "My MagicBands and Cards" tab, it will always show "Your Magic Band Order" at the top of the page.

If you want to use your old magic bands and you do NOT want to order new ones, you can either...
  • (A) Do nothing. Simply don't complete the order and you won't receive new MagicBands
  • (B) Click "Get Started" then select a guest. Underneath the guest icon you will see the option to "Decline A New MagicBand". You can do this for each guest -- again, not required. You can just ignore it if you'd like.
Once you link a MB to a guest in your account, that MB is permanently linked to them and will remain active unless you login and deactivate it. To find that, scroll down past where it's offering to order new ones and you will see all of your friends and family listed. Click on the little triangle to the left of a guest's icon. All of their assigned MBs and Key to the World cards will be listed. You can activate and deactivate whatever bands or cards you want. Once a MB or card is assigned to a guest, it cannot ever be removed or transferred -- only activated and deactivated. I just checked mine and everything is currently set as activated. I bring multiple bands with me on my trips and wear different ones depending on what parks I go to. They will all work for me on the same trip because they are all linked to my profile and active.

I hope this makes sense!

The best part of this is that if I ever lost a card or a band, all I need to do is login and deactivate it. There are safeguards to protect others from using it (i.e. fingerprint scanning at the front of the parks and PIN codes when making a purchase), but that gives me a little extra peace of mind. It's like freezing your credit card when you can't find it!

If you have a package booked and you click the "My MagicBands and Cards" tab, it will always show "Your Magic Band Order" at the top of the page.

If you want to use your old magic bands and you do NOT want to order new ones, you can either...
  • (A) Do nothing. Simply don't complete the order and you won't receive new MagicBands
  • (B) Click "Get Started" then select a guest. Underneath the guest icon you will see the option to "Decline A New MagicBand". You can do this for each guest -- again, not required. You can just ignore it if you'd like.
Once you link a MB to a guest in your account, that MB is permanently linked to them and will remain active unless you login and deactivate it. To find that, scroll down past where it's offering to order new ones and you will see all of your friends and family listed. Click on the little triangle to the left of a guest's icon. All of their assigned MBs and Key to the World cards will be listed. You can activate and deactivate whatever bands or cards you want. Once a MB or card is assigned to a guest, it cannot ever be removed or transferred -- only activated and deactivated. I just checked mine and everything is currently set as activated. I bring multiple bands with me on my trips and wear different ones depending on what parks I go to. They will all work for me on the same trip because they are all linked to my profile and active.

I hope this makes sense!

The best part of this is that if I ever lost a card or a band, all I need to do is login and deactivate it. There are safeguards to protect others from using it (i.e. fingerprint scanning at the front of the parks and PIN codes when making a purchase), but that gives me a little extra peace of mind. It's like freezing your credit card when you can't find it!
Ok this is so neat! Question though, we apparently currently have several each that are active, should I just deactivate all of them aside from the ones I physically have from last trip (dont know where the other are) and they will "magically" be connected to this trip? Im just confused as to how they will be connected to this trip/resort room door etc?

"Magically" connected basically your bands connect to your MDE profile so each new booking that's in that profile is also on your bands. You shouldn't have to do anything special the bands will know from your profile to open your door etc. Sometimes they may need to reset them at the front desk if something is off but for the most part they should work. I'd keep my phone handy for opening the hotel room door though just in case the bands don't work for some reason and it is a long walk back to the front desk. If someone in your party loses a band or doesn't have one you can still get a keycard from the front desk.

I deactivate the ones I no longer have just to keep everything clean.

We have a trip in December, and decided to replace our bands for the 1st time in 4 years. So we nought 6 new bands.

My youngest and I decided to do a quick weekend early august, and I love that the bands we bought for December have already shipped and we will use them now in august.

Last edited:
Ok this is so neat! Question though, we apparently currently have several each that are active, should I just deactivate all of them aside from the ones I physically have from last trip (dont know where the other are) and they will "magically" be connected to this trip? Im just confused as to how they will be connected to this trip/resort room door etc?
Think of your MB as a key that opens the chest that contains your resort reservation, tickets, ADRs, G+, etc. Whenever you tap Mickey to Mickey, the key opens the chest and pulls out the necessary information, such as your ticket and park reservation info when you tap into a park. Any MB that is marked as Active in your MDE account will work, just like you can have multiple keys for the front door to your house. If you can't find some of your old MBs, it's fine to Deactivate them or mark them as Lost. The main thing is to make sure that any MB you bring on this trip is marked as Active in your MDE account, or it won't work (until you bring it to the front desk of the hotel or to Guest Relations and they fix it).

The only thing a MagicBand actually knows is its own serial number (which is also printed on the back). You link that serial number to your MDE account. You also link your trip, hotel reservation/room number, tickets, park reservations, dining reservations, etc to your MDE account. And that's it. Let's say you own MB#12345.

When you tap in at Magic Kingdom, the reader says "MB#12345 wants to enter Magic Kingdom". The system looks up the MB and says "That's petunia. Petunia has a valid ticket and reservation for today. Let petunia in."

At your hotel room, the reader says "MB#12345 wants to enter this room". The system looks up the MB and says "That's petunia. Petunia is assigned to this room. Open the door."

When you want to buy something, the reader says "MB#12345 wants to buy something." The system looks up the MB and says "That's petunia. Charges should be sent to this credit card on file." or "That's petunia. Charges should be added to this hotel room bill."

As it turns out, YOU are the "magic".

I tell folks to think of a magic band as something like a debit card
it doesn’t hold your money. It only contains the stripe, now chip, that links back to your bank that allows access to your money by the machine that is reading the card

card is passive
magic band is passive
both provide access to the account

Add on question, is there any reason for a child under 2 to have a magic band? When we make Genie plus/LL reservations will she need to be added? I know they don't need a park ticket but I didn't know how the ride situation worked.

Add on question, is there any reason for a child under 2 to have a magic band? When we make Genie plus/LL reservations will she need to be added? I know they don't need a park ticket but I didn't know how the ride situation worked.
No, they don't need a MB for any functions. However, they might "need" a MB in order to be just like everyone else (especially older kids)!

No but bet you just about anything if they are over 1 they are going to want one of t they have siblings with one

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter