Magic Band Question

JJ2017

DIS Veteran
Do you need to have purchased tickets in order to get your magic bands shipped? My friend just got her hotel confirmation and wants to customize her bands. But they aren't totally sure which tickets they will buy and might want to purchase tickets once they are down in WDW (they know all about booking FPs but it's not their style - CRAZY!).

No, tickets are not required. Assuming they are staying at an onsite WDW resort, the MBs will be used as the room-key. They can customize the bands anytime, and once that is done bands will automatically ship about 3-4 weeks prior to their arrival. They can purchase tickets whenever they choose.

Enjoy the vacation!

No, tickets are not required. Assuming they are staying at an onsite WDW resort, the MBs will be used as the room-key. They can customize the bands anytime, and once that is done bands will automatically ship about 3-4 weeks prior to their arrival. They can purchase tickets whenever they choose.

Enjoy the vacation!
awesome! a mom's panel blog post says you needed ticket. knew that wasn't right!

I am so confused about how the magic bands work. We are staying at a Disney hotel, so will the magic bands be shipped to us automatically? Will we get them at the hotel? Are they free? So many questions for this first timer (well, first time since the magic bands became a thing).

Having a Disney resort hotel reservation automatically gets you magic bands as they are used as your room key.
Tickets are not needed to get magic bands.

You should be able to log into you MyDisneyExperience account and customize your Magic Bands for all in your party. Once you done that, WDW automatically ships them around 28 days out from your arrival date.

I am so confused about how the magic bands work. We are staying at a Disney hotel, so will the magic bands be shipped to us automatically? Will we get them at the hotel? Are they free? So many questions for this first timer (well, first time since the magic bands became a thing).

MagicBands access your MDE (My Disney Experience) account. So that means tickets and FP+.

If you are staying at an onsite WDW resort, MagicBands are complimentary because it will function as your room key - it will open your resort room door and can be used for charging purchases back to your resort account in addition to tickets.
If you live in the U.S., the MBs will be shipped to you (free) about 3-4 weeks prior to your reservation date.
If you live outside the U.S., the MBs will be available for you at check-in.

If you are staying off-site, MBs are not required but can be purchased and linked to your MDE to access your tickets. You cannot use the band to charge purchases if staying off-site.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter