Magic Band+ on the Dream?

LolaNJoe

Earning My Ears
Sorry if this has been asked before, these are all common words and not the easiest to google! Does anyone know if the Dream will be using Magic Band + by February? Hubby has one already, but I'd want one if it's an option by then.
Thanks!

Not so far. They only just announced that the Magic, the third ship to get it, will be starting very soon. No announcements have been made yet for the Dream or Wonder.

Sorry if this has been asked before, these are all common words and not the easiest to google! Does anyone know if the Dream will be using Magic Band + by February? Hubby has one already, but I'd want one if it's an option by then.
Thanks!
If they are, you'll receive an offer direct from DCL and can then buy via your DCL reservation or another source depending on who has the design you want.

I apologize if this has been mentioned in other threads. If one opts to not purchase a band, the regular key cards would still be available for no charge, correct? TIA.

LAX

I apologize if this has been mentioned in other threads. If one opts to not purchase a band, the regular key cards would still be available for no charge, correct? TIA.

LAX
Correct 😀

LAX
Yes, and it’s my understanding that everyone needs the regular key cards to disembark and reboard the ship at ports of call. The MB+ can’t be used for that.

Yes, and it’s my understanding that everyone needs the regular key cards to disembark and reboard the ship at ports of call. The MB+ can’t be used for that.
That is correct. Everyone has to use KTTW card to get on/off the ship at ports of call (MB+/DB+ can be used to embark at Port Canaveral, not sure at other ports).

For the ships that are already using Magic Bands, is it only MB+ that work? Or can you use the older ones?

Has anone used the mb+ on the Dream recently? We are a fw as away from being able to purchase it and would like to know how it's working.

Has anone used the mb+ on the Dream recently? We are a fw as away from being able to purchase it and would like to know how it's working.
Not on the Dream, but on the Fantasy in November. It worked well, we used it to open stateroom doors and make purchases in the shops. It's certainly not a necessity, but nice to be able to just 'scan your wrist' instead of carrying the card/laynard/etc. around. Note we didn't really use them to order drinks on the pool deck (we were concierge and took advantage of their free drinks in the lounge). To my understanding, that's the part that can be annoying, as sometimes you have to take off your band so the bartender can scan it to order the drinks.

I was on the Dream recent. At the terminal, they activated our MG+ for onboard use. We used it to open the stateroom door, purchase items, and for photographers to scan.

That is correct. Everyone has to use KTTW card to get on/off the ship at ports of call (MB+/DB+ can be used to embark at Port Canaveral, not sure at other ports).
Why? Is it because MB is not as secure as KTTW card?

LAX

LAX
Most of the ports that have their own security area want to see a ship card and photo ID for re-entry to the secure area. They may not look at the details of the ship card, but they expect passengers returning to the port to show the card to confirm that they are passengers.

It says that I can't link my new MB+ until we are on the ship. Thought you could use it to board? Is there a way to link it that I'm missing?

It says that I can't link my new MB+ until we are on the ship. Thought you could use it to board? Is there a way to link it that I'm missing?
They link it in the terminal, so, yes, you can use it to board. You just can’t use it ahead of time

You can link it in port. I'm not sure if you can actually use it to board, but you'll be able to get it set up before you get on the ship (and there are CMs in the terminal to help if you have issues).

I know the website advertises using it to board initially, but I've never actually seen that in practice. When we went in November we had MB+s but they used our KTTW card boarding pass QR code to scan us on the ship.

Last edited:

LAX
Correct. The KTTW card has your name, dates of sailing and the name of the ship. As PP mentioned, some port security want to verify that you are actually sailing on that ship. A KTTW card provides that extra level of verification, where an MB+ would not.

I know the website advertises using it to board initially, but I've never actually seen that in practice. When we went in November we had MB+s but they used our KTTW card to scan us on the ship.
That’s strange. How did you use you KTTW for initial boarding on a post-Covid cruise? I thought the KTTW cards were always waiting for us on the fish hanger outside our stateroom. They scanned our boarding paperwork with the QR code on it in the terminal and for initial boarding each time, and we have done seven cruises post-Covid after they stopped giving out the KTTW cards at terminal check-in.

I know they want the KTTW card when re-boarding during port stops, but the initial boarding was different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter