Magic 6/23 ship in poor conditon (a short report)

I was thinking the same thing regarding the date they joined. However I'm not sure it's relevant to point out to the other ships and itineraries, I mean, they're either a troll in which case we better let them, or part or all of their story is true in which case it is unacceptable (please point me to the thread that lists the benefits of filthy restrooms on the other ships).

PS: don't get me wrong I'm on your side here, personal belief is OP is a troll, although there have been similar reports about bad experiences on the Magic, at least regarding the elevators and beverage stations, the latest a few weeks ago.
What I can also see happening is that when you are not in the right headspace and something goes wrong, then everything after seems to be worse.

Let's say you come across 1 filthy bathroom stall and you are fed already up with this cruise because all the stateroom issues. That bathroom will seem extra filthy.

And to be honest, we do not know what the OP means by filthy, are we talking full blowout, one little skid mark or some toilet paper on the floor? People have different thresholds for what is filthy. And was this one bathroom at one eating area (I would assume cabanas, because the kids pools are right next to it and some kids are not that good yet at using a bathroom on their own). Or are we talking all the bathrooms next to the MDRs?

I went on the Magic last year and right before I watched some vloggers pointing out some areas that could use some TLC. I would have never spotted them, because my brain doesn't register it at all. The only one I spotted was some spots on the atrium chandelier, but with that one I think: that is not an easy one to replace while cruising due to the height.

Last edited:
I agree about late dining. It certainly depends on your routine at home. And I am constantly amazed at people at home who have dinner on the table at 5 or 6 pm.
I do most of the cooking at home and normally have dinner ready between 5:45pm and 6:15pm. This is mostly due to the fact that I get off work at 4pm, we don't have any kids living with us at home and my wife has trouble sleeping if she eats a late dinner and by late I mean anything after 6:30pm to 7pm is a late dinner for her.

Because of this, we try to get early seating on the cruises.

Psy

I spent most of my time on 7th floor aft waiting for elevators. 1 out of 4 tiny tiny elevators not working for duration. They could only hold one large power scooter and another person. After dinner had to walk 7 floors to see fireworks, it was too crowded to actually see a the show.
Many shows held in atrrium too crowded to see.
No drinking fountains or bottle fillers on entire ship. beverage station on 9th floor 1 out of 3 soda fountains broken. No ice at all in afternoon. For the duration.
I thought I had booked a 4-5 person stateroom but it slept only 3. room always too hot except too cold in the middle of the night. Condensation leaking from the ceiling. Toilet not flushing well. But stateroom workers were the hardest working, kindest people of the crew so I did not complain.
Live shows technical difficulties everytime. Could not get into Encanto or, Little mermaid, due to crowds.
Restaurant dinners always lukeward, hot or cold food always lukewarm. Worst of all was the final night, we were not served until 10pm dessert at 11pm, staff too busy counting tips. But we were still instructed to rate them as excellent, again. By 4th day public restrooms by lthe eating areas were absolutely FILTHY.
The ship is too far gone and out of date to sail in 2023. they could not accomodate the number of people there. Dont book, you will regret it.
I find all of this interesting considering it will open Lighthouse Point next June. Was considering looking at a cruise for one of the first sailings to the new island, but I've heard really good reviews of the Magic and really poor reviews of the Magic lately. Too much chance for all that money. I guess I'll just sail on the Wish again...

I do most of the cooking at home and normally have dinner ready between 5:45pm and 6:15pm. This is mostly due to the fact that I get off work at 4pm, we don't have any kids living with us at home and my wife has trouble sleeping if she eats a late dinner and by late I mean anything after 6:30pm to 7pm is a late dinner for her.

Because of this, we try to get early seating on the cruises.

Psy
Were you able to do that when you did have kids living at home? My mom worked full time, and during Little League season when I was a kid in the 1960's dinner after the game was often fast food and often after dark. I did all the cooking in our house for 17 years, until our oldest started College since my wife worked a 9:30 to 6:30 shift and didn't even get home until 7 pm. Kids events often pushed dinner, as I mentioned to almost 9 pm sometimes.

Were you able to do that when you did have kids living at home? My mom worked full time, and during Little League season when I was a kid in the 1960's dinner after the game was often fast food and often after dark. I did all the cooking in our house for 17 years, until our oldest started College since my wife worked a 9:30 to 6:30 shift and didn't even get home until 7 pm. Kids events often pushed dinner, as I mentioned to almost 9 pm sometimes.
Yes my wife did. I didn't meet my wife until her daughter was 16, but from what she has told me, she would make sure that dinner was ready before 6:30pm. My wife is very rigid when it comes to when she eats dinner, and she won't eat what she calls real food past 6:45 to 7pm at the latest. If she does, it seems to mess up her ability to fall asleep and she already has trouble falling asleep to begin with even eating when we do. I don't think her daughter did much after school activities growing up, I do remember her telling me that she did soccer one year but that was about it. I know that during that my wife worked 8am to 5pm but would get home by 5:30pm.

Psy

User error???? Im not a travel agent or a blogger or "influencer" so I should just stay off of cruise ships. And this board which is clearly for the trade and not the public.
Umm, yes. I’m not a blogger or a travel agent or an influencer, but I can google “disney magic staterooms” and any number of websites, blogs, deck plans and even the official disney site would tell me that the room category you booked does not sleep 5. If I couldn’t find a water refill station, I’d ask a CM rather than assuming the ship doesn’t have any and then complaining after the fact. And if I show up to one show and there are no seats, I’d get there early next time. There’s a difference between not being an expert and not making any effort.

I'm so sorry about your terrible experience. We sailed the Magic in March on a sold out ship and had a magical experience. Something must have happened in the last couple of months.

I was thinking the same thing regarding the date they joined. However I'm not sure it's relevant to point out to the other ships and itineraries, I mean, they're either a troll in which case we better let them, or part or all of their story is true in which case it is unacceptable (please point me to the thread that lists the benefits of filthy restrooms on the other ships).

PS: don't get me wrong I'm on your side here, personal belief is OP is a troll, although there have been similar reports about bad experiences on the Magic, at least regarding the elevators and beverage stations, the latest a few weeks ago.
Sad you did not take the time to read through the thread and see that OP has posted multiple times to clear up some things and respond.

Sad you did not take the time to read through the thread and see that OP has posted multiple times to clear up some things and respond.
Did the OP clear things up?
#22: Advice to another poster to keep their Dream reservation, happy she wasn't in a scooter and that she needs to be in better shape for a next cruise.
#23: She tried to reply to different posts, but there was a glitch. Stating she is giving her opinion after reading the DIS.
#25: Mix up over the date she cruised.
#29: Empty post
#33: Thank another poster for giving their opinion on the Magic
#34: Stating she is not an influencer or travel blogger.

I agree, people who join an online community and their first post is to complain and then leave it at that, that's suspicious. Especially if some complaints could have been solved by research within that same community. Or by just addressing the issues on board. It feels like stirring. Especially as the OP indicates the Magic is too far gone to sail, but then lists she had a bad cruise experience that have little to do with the age of the ship.

So, yes, I agree with Cwis and others who doubt this as being a genuine post. Also...

On the other hand... Who decides to stir in a Disney travel community? If that's the case, how did this person came to be like this? ;-)

What I would like to be answered from the original post:
0. Was this your first cruise, first Disney cruise? If no, which other ships did you sail on and was that the same season?
0a. Did you enjoy anything about your cruise?

1. Are we talking the mid ship elevators? And if so, the Magic is a smaller ship, it doesn't take that much time to walk to Aft or Forward to take an elevator there. Did this come to mind? Did you have the feeling there were (too) many scooters on board that could have contributed to the elevator issue?

2. Crowds and not being able to get a clear view for the fireworks, the atrium, not able to get into the movie theater twice. This is a bit of a learning curve, but if during the first time you realize that the ship is very crowded, why not come earlier to certain activities if they are important to you? Waiting for fireworks at sea is not that different from waiting for fireworks in a park. If you want the best view, you have to stake out a spot. Again a bit of a learning curve what the best spot is, and then still you have to keep in mind: you are at sea and winds are much more disruptive than in a park.

3. Did you ask cast members for ice? Or ask when the machines would be fixed?

4. Why didn't you complain about all the stateroom issues? Was a nice stateroom host really the reason?

5. What were the technnical difficulties at every live show? Are we talking 1 mic opening late? A lantern from Tangled falling down on the ceiling? A complete showstop for 10 minutes?

6. Did you complain about the lukewarm food, did you send food back?
If you are at scheduled for late dining, and you got in at 8:15 and did not get food till 10. Did you say anything to your servers or to your head server? Did they give you a reason (Kitchen on fire, who knows) Did you think about leaving and ordering room service or go to the Duck in Diner?

7. How often did you server instruct you to rate the team as excellent? And, did you?
That your server team was too busy counting tips, is that something you actually saw, or is that your interpretation? (Asking because all the servers I gave tips to put the envelopes away without looking).

8. Which restrooms were filthy, and what do you consider filthy?

Relevant feedback:
- As mentioned by others, there are refilling stations, but they are not always easy to find. Feedback to Disney is to indicate better where these can be found. Besides the drinking fountains near Cabanas.
- The elevators are small, so bigger families and those with scooter users might need to split up = more waiting.

I will say, after the Dream and Fantasy being my only other cruise experiences, the Magic atrium was pretty shockingly small. My first thought as we boarded was 'where is the atrium?' I knew it was a smaller ship going in, but I didn't realize what that meant for the atrium space. Not that it's a big deal, and not that it would keep me from sailing the smaller ships again. It was just something a little unexpected for me and the rest of my group.

I don’t want the Magic to do this…. but what about a catwalk in front of deck 4 and 5 but down a little lower so the decks 4 & 5 can still see over the catwalk? Maybe like standing room of about 2-3 people deep? Keeping the area smaller lets you see better and not stuck watching Ant Theater. A balcony for standers.
Ever not be front and center can distort the sound of the program in such a big place too.

There is no reason to think the OP is a troll. Many people have reported issues with the Magic since dry dock. I actually canceled my Panama Canal cruise because of all the negative reports I’ve heard about the Magic from several different people on several different sailings. There was just no way I was going to be on a ship for 14 nights and have to deal with issues with AC or elevators not working.

Could the OP give more details, of course, but that doesn’t mean their points are not valid or haven’t been echoed by others on other threads.

It’s OK to admit that sometimes disney gets it wrong and sometimes there is a learning curve as a guest as well. I’m sure all of us can read and decipher what’s going on.

Water leaks - a few of the concierge rooms on deck 8 had wet carpet issues. I do not know if it was an internal leak or from the rain on departure day and Nassau day.

I did a quick search, but have not found any specifics. Has anyone heard which rooms were impacted?

My 2 cents. If something goes wrong while you are on vacation you are well within your rights to politely let someone know.

I've been on the Magic three times. The only time I noticed the atrium being small was my Christmas cruise. The weather was terrible so many events (pirate night and sail away for two) had to be held there. I did not enjoy that at all. However, since I've experienced those I just left and went elsewhere to allow newbies to enjoy.

My very first cruise was on the Magic. I was on deck one evening talking to a cast member. I shivered from the evening air and he immediately offered to get me a blanket. That is the kind of service I have received on every DCL sailing. My kids love Shirley Temples. After telling the waiters once they were on the table waiting for us each night. They love extra cherries so a bowl of extra cherries appeared. My oldest loves Turkish breakfast so she arranged with the head of the dinning room to have Turkish breakfast waiting for her in Cabanas each morning.

However, my experiences do not invalidate the experiences of others. But don't just let bad things go unspoken.

Ok, I do not recognize most of what you describe, but this one truly baffles me.

Your AC is not functioning, your ceiling is leaking and your toilet isn't working properly. And you decide not to complain?

Complaining about crowds is useless, but a stateroom with technical issues? Why wouldn't you complain about this? This sounds so much like 'oh woe is me, I'd rather suffer than have these issues fixed'.

Your stateroom host isn't the one who is going to fix your plumbing or your air conditioning or your ceiling. If you had spoken to them, they would tell you to call maintenance. Maintenance usually is there within a few minutes and a lot can be solved. We had an extremely creaky ceiling on the Wonder recently. We called and within 10 minutes it was solved and we had several checks afterwards to make sure we were alright.
Actually, the stateroom host would have called maintenance. The guest wouldn't be expected to do that.

Actually, the stateroom host would have called maintenance. The guest wouldn't be expected to do that.
On my 3 cruises I had little issues with my cabin, just used the speed dial on the phone. It was quicker.

I will say, after the Dream and Fantasy being my only other cruise experiences, the Magic atrium was pretty shockingly small. My first thought as we boarded was 'where is the atrium?' I knew it was a smaller ship going in, but I didn't realize what that meant for the atrium space. Not that it's a big deal, and not that it would keep me from sailing the smaller ships again. It was just something a little unexpected for me and the rest of my group.
This was my reaction the first time on a Classic ship too. Now they are my favorite. 😊

I spent most of my time on 7th floor aft waiting for elevators. 1 out of 4 tiny tiny elevators not working for duration. They could only hold one large power scooter and another person. After dinner had to walk 7 floors to see fireworks, it was too crowded to actually see a the show.
Many shows held in atrrium too crowded to see.
No drinking fountains or bottle fillers on entire ship. beverage station on 9th floor 1 out of 3 soda fountains broken. No ice at all in afternoon. For the duration.
I thought I had booked a 4-5 person stateroom but it slept only 3. room always too hot except too cold in the middle of the night. Condensation leaking from the ceiling. Toilet not flushing well. But stateroom workers were the hardest working, kindest people of the crew so I did not complain.
Live shows technical difficulties everytime. Could not get into Encanto or, Little mermaid, due to crowds.
Restaurant dinners always lukeward, hot or cold food always lukewarm. Worst of all was the final night, we were not served until 10pm dessert at 11pm, staff too busy counting tips. But we were still instructed to rate them as excellent, again. By 4th day public restrooms by lthe eating areas were absolutely FILTHY.
The ship is too far gone and out of date to sail in 2023. they could not accomodate the number of people there. Dont book, you will regret it.
There is a water fountain and a bottle filler outside the fitness center.

I was just onboard this week, and the public bathrooms were clean as always.

I had good MDR food and service. I'm sorry if you really didn't.

You might want to partly rename your thread "5/23", as 6/23 is late June & we're not there yet. You seem to be referring to May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter