Lunch - Tusker House or Yak & Yeti?

CathieArms

DIS Veteran
So I'm frustrated that I can't get ADRs for lunch at Yak & Yeti during our trip. I've made ADRs at Tusker House for lunch, but we're eating there that day for breakfast...which is why I wanted something different.

If you've done both TH and YY, which do you think is better? Maybe it's like comparing apples to oranges, but certainly y'all have a preference. Which do you prefer?

Really, I'm trying to decide whether it's worth my time to keep trying to get an ADR at YY or just keep our ADR at TH because we'll be just as happy - or maybe more happy - with that.

If it makes any difference, we'll be having dinner at Raglan Road that night.

I love, love, love Tusker House!! :love: Breakfast there will be totally different from lunch/dinner. On our trip last month we had a dinner reservation early in the week, and I ended up switching our plans later in the week and added a lunch too.

I've eaten at Yak & Yeti (shortly after they opened) for dinner and while it was OK, it was not special the way I feel Tusker House is.

Tusker House for us, ten times out of ten. Also, if you get a lunch reservation there between 1pm and 1:45pm, you get priority seating for the 3:15pm Finding Nemo show. It's a very nice perk, in my opinion.

Also, there are no guarantees on this, but we had a 1:05 lunch reservation, got hungry early, and went there at 11:30 or so. They gave us the priority seating tickets anyway.

Tusket house is one of my favorites. The food at Yak was unimpressive and kinda tough. Plus, a buffet with a small child is a godsend! LoL:rotfl:

We actually loved yak and yeti, and it's much better atmosphere than Tusker House. We aren't buffet people in general, while we didn't have lunch at Tusker House we weren't that crazy about Breakfast. We wouldn't do any restaurant twice in one day.

Yak and Yeti aren't Disney owned, so I think they save more tables for walk ups. One day we were discussing lunch and the manager happened to walk by and heard us talking- he said to just walk in, and they sat us within 20 minutes. This was during Free dining when walk ups were scarce.

I was pretty impressed with my first Tusker House lunch experience in December. I'm a fan of Boma, and I had heard that it was like "Boma-lite" in terms of variety. I felt that Tusker House was better than Boma in many ways. The stations at Tusker House are spread out better so you're not crowded around any particular area.

I found it easy to walk around all the stations to see what was offered before choosing a station with a plate in hand. I'd recommend Tusker House.

Hi,

I vote Yak and Yeti, Honestly it was one of the best meals we had last time we were in Disney (2008). I worked at Animal Kingdom after college and never really thought Tusker House was that exceptional. On our last trip we had Donald's Safari Breakfast there and the food was ok. I have to admit I was really sick at that point. However, the food was good enough. The service was fairly poor. We found our waitress less than par. Thank goodness it was a buffet. That said two meals there in one week seems excessive. I vote Yak and Yeti all the way. Its on our definite list for the next trip!
:)

While its not one of the options....

If you don't mind a CS location and like BBQ, I can't recommend Flame Tree BBQ enough. I'm a huge BBQ snob and the ribs I had there were frankly phenomenal.

We've eaten at and like both of them. One thing the Tusker House does have over Yak and Yeti is if you eat after 1 pm you are given a voucher for primo seating at the 3 pm show of Finding Nemo. You will have to ask for the voucher.

We have only eaten at Tusker house for breakfast and really enjoyed it. We have done Yak and Yeti for lunch twice and we really enjoyed it. Thought the quality and atmosphere were both good.

We have had lunch at both, and enjoy both places! You can't go wrong with either one.

We love Tusker House for breakfast and Yak&Yeti for dinner (my personal fave). You could always do the Y&Y counter service for lunch, but it's just ok. Keep trying, plans change all the time.

I've never been to Yak & Yeti, but Tusker House is wonderful for lunch. Lots of choices and everything is delicious!

I loved Yak and Yeti in 2009 and 2010. The Malaysian seafood curry was incredible! The Mahi Mahi, the ribs, the Thai chili wings, the fried wontons dessert.... just everything! Service was great. I like the decor of the place. I could eat here several times in one trip. Had dinner at Tusker House in 2008 -- was pretty good too -- I remember some kind of seafood stew with curry that was really good.

If you still have 74 days to your vacation, you can probably get an ADR at Yak and Yeti.... just keep checking online... someone will cancel.

A review of Yak and Yeti with pics at my 2010 review... click here!

I have not eaten at TH, but an idea for you...

I have heard rumors that since YnY is not a Disney owned restaurant, they run things a bit differently. And one of those things is that they keep some tables open in the event of walk-ups.

It would not hurt to try asking how the long the wait is when you want to dine. I can never seem to get a YnY ADR, but I always just walk up around 11:30 and they seat me right away. I'm guessing 11:30 will be too close to your breakfast, but if you wanted to try for a time after 2pm, you might have good luck with that.

I have not eaten at TH, but an idea for you...

I have heard rumors that since YnY is not a Disney owned restaurant, they run things a bit differently. And one of those things is that they keep some tables open in the event of walk-ups.

It would not hurt to try asking how the long the wait is when you want to dine. I can never seem to get a YnY ADR, but I always just walk up around 11:30 and they seat me right away. I'm guessing 11:30 will be too close to your breakfast, but if you wanted to try for a time after 2pm, you might have good luck with that.

That probably is true.... It's owned by Landry's Restaurant Group... and our lunch was so good we thought about coming back for a dinner.... the waiter told me to just let him know when, and he would arrange it!

If you like breakfast food and have no self control like I don't....Tusker House has a delicious breakfast and I really filled up at our 8am ADR. We had lunch at YnY at 1pm, but easily could have waited another hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter