Lunch on travel day?

pwoodham

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/"targe
We'll be leaving home around 7 am, grab a quick bite at the airport before our plane takes off, and arriving in Orlando around 1:15. No food service on the plane, and we have HDDR reservations at 5:00. I want to pack a small lunch so we don't have to find a restaurant, listen to kids whine about being hungry, etc. We'll be busy getting the car, checking into the hotel, and all that stuff. I'm planning to pack lunchables (I know these are not the most nutritious lunches, but it's vacation after all!) for the 6 kids, I'd like some suggestions for the 7 adults! It needs to be compact and not require refrigeration.

If they like tuna, how about those Tuna salad packs that contain everything that you need to fix your lunch. They ,like lunchable, don't however contain a lot of food. If everyone is starving this might be a problem. Also a mention that the food goes not come right away at the HDDR. It is a little wait there too. Depending on where you are staying, there might be a food court that someone in the party could run to while the others were checking in.
Another idea we have used is to order a pizza (or a couple with your group) either from room service or a local chain.

What about little boxes of cereal for the flight? Eat some breakfast type foods on the plane. Or Cinnabons at the airport - yum, my favorite!!

luchables do require refrigeration. I hope you aren't thinking that they do not.

Well, the ultimate cheep-o will share what we did...

We each took a backpack with us on the plane, and the kids already owned insulated lunch bags and I packed a water bottle with Kool-Aid that was partailly frozen, then I filled it up before we left with more Kool-Aid. This helped keep the lunchable cold. I also packed a pb&j, which was lucky because our flight ended up being delayed by 2 hours because of storms over Atlanta.

I bought DH and I insulated lunch bags at Dollar Tree, and took Mega Lunchables(more food) and a pb&J. One of our carry-ons was a roll-around duffle bag with all of our snacks for the theme parks in it, and we raided that a little bit. I bought water bottles filled with frozen sun-tea, and that kept our food cold for the day.

We took the insulated lunch bags in our backpacks to the theme parks, and they held our gatorade bottles of ice in them(held 3 20 oz bottles)

Repeated this on our trip home.....

Originally posted by pwoodham
I'm planning to pack lunchables ... It needs to be compact and not require refrigeration.
Unless you are getting the smuckers PB&J type of lunch kits, "lunchables" do require refrigeration.

The tuna fish kits that are already mixed up so that you don't have to add the mayo, relish, etc. yourself are really good. I love the flavor of those. Plus, you can also get chicken salad, low fat tuna, or seafood salad. We've tried the chicken salad and like it too.

The kids will be able to have a insulated lunch bag in their carry-on to keep the lunchable cold. I'm sure, however, most of the adults won't feel they have the room. I like the tuna fish idea - those are fairly small and that would work well.

I have to agree with the pb&j idea.We use this for ANY kind of trip.That with some snacks in a brown bag will hold you over for quite a while.

We packed a jar of pb,one of jelly and a loaf of bread for our trip down south last year.Every day for lunch we'd pull into a rest area and have a sandwich with chips and cookies for a snack.Worked great,but after 10 days I swore I would puke if I ever ate another pb&j again :crazy: I'm over that now(it has been almost a year)and can happily enjoy them once again.

For adults, you can make up a bunch of granola, raisans, dried papaya, dried cranberries, dried pineapple, dried apricots, nuts, seeds etc.,. in a mix. It's high in fat and protien so you'll get full and satisfied. You can make a ton of the stuff and put it into baggies ~ baggies are great because they can be manipulated into any nook and cranny of your luggage. The stuff keeps for a long time.

If you freeze a few juice boxes and pack them beside your lunchables, they'd be fine.

GOOD LUCK! S

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter