Lunar New Year 2024?

Amunet

DIS Veteran
Hello!
Does anyone have an idea of when the Lunar New Year dates are announced?
I tried searching but it may be too early for me to do it effectively lol

Thanks!

They made the announcement for the 2023 event in November 2022.

This year's dates were January 20 - February 15. I would expect something similar next year.

Hello!
Does anyone have an idea of when the Lunar New Year dates are announced?
I tried searching but it may be too early for me to do it effectively lol

Thanks!
Chinese Lunar New Year in 2024 is Saturday, February 10, 2024. Celebrations start on Friday, February 9th and celebrations in China end around February 25th or 26th. I suspect Disney will have dates from around February 9th through February 29th.

Chinese Lunar New Year in 2024 is Saturday, February 10, 2024. Celebrations start on Friday, February 9th and celebrations in China end around February 25th or 26th. I suspect Disney will have dates from around February 9th through February 29th.

I'm still leaning toward the earlier dates because Disney needs time to turn over the booths and prep for the spring food and wine festival which is likely to begin very early March.

I'm still leaning toward the earlier dates because Disney needs time to turn over the booths and prep for the spring food and wine festival which is likely to begin very early March.
Well then if that is true it is not very authentic then is it. Why celebrate Lunar New Year a month early?! Maybe Feb 1 through Feb. 21 is a better time frame. I don't see it starting in mid-January. Lunar New year this year was January 22, 2023. The period was appropriate for January 20 to February 15th.

Last edited:
Well then if that is true it is not very authentic then is it. Why celebrate Lunar New Year a month early?!

Um, Disney starts celebrating Halloween the first week of September and Christmas and other winter holidays on Veteran's Day. It's not surprising that they start their Lunar New Year celebration early. I do believe they always include the actual beginning of the holiday within their celebration dates, but I don't know that the Disney festival dates sync entirely with the lunar calendar.

Um, Disney starts celebrating Halloween the first week of September and Christmas and other winter holidays on Veteran's Day. It's not surprising that they start their Lunar New Year celebration early. I do believe they always include the actual beginning of the holiday within their celebration dates, but I don't know that the Disney festival dates sync entirely with the lunar calendar.
Yes they do sync with Lunar New Year it is correct. Lunar New Year was January 22, 2023. It is THE LUNAR NEW YEAR and is not a secular celebration like Halloween. Lunar New Year depends on the moon phase and Chinese culture. Lunar New Year is not the same day every year like the holidays you mentioned. Celebrating Lunar Chinese New Year a month early would be a mockery and offensive to Chinese culture traditionalists and Disney would be called out for doing it - guaranteed.

Yes they do sync with Lunar New Year it is correct. Lunar New Year was January 22, 2023. It is THE LUNAR NEW YEAR and is not a secular celebration like Halloween. Lunar New Year depends on the moon phase and Chinese culture.

Ok. Sorry, I really wasn't trying to start an argument. All I was saying is that they definitely include part of lunar new year in their park celebration dates but they don't necessarily include the whole time period and they are certainly willing to start their celebration early. It is a way to turn a slower time of year into a busier and more lucrative time of year.

They have started the last four park Lunar New Year celebrations in January, including the one for 2019 when Chinese New Year started on February 5, and I believe they ended that year at least a couple days before the official end of Chinese New Year. So yeah, maybe with a later start this year, Disney will wait until January 26 to get started. I have no knowledge of what date they will actually pick. I was just saying if Disney does what Disney usually does, then expect it to start in the park sometime second half of January.

I think it shouldn't be overlooked that Lunar New Year is more inclusive than just Chinese New Year as there are numerous cultures that celebrate it, and while some other countries' dates align with Chinese New Year, there is variation. Furthermore, my understanding is that Lunar New Year is in fact largely a secular holiday in modern times though there are still cultural traditions that are remembered and honored.

Last edited:
Ok. Sorry, I really wasn't trying to start an argument. All I was saying is that they definitely include part of lunar new year in their park celebration dates but they don't necessarily include the whole time period and they are certainly willing to start their celebration early. It is a way to turn a slower time of year into a busier and more lucrative time of year.

They have started the last four park Lunar New Year celebrations in January, including the one for 2019 when Chinese New Year started on February 5, and I believe they ended that year at least a couple days before the official end of Chinese New Year.
No argument here. New Year in 2024 is February 10th. Disney could start in late January until Feb. 21 and have plenty of time to prep for the Spring Festival. I dont think Disney will start the celebration 3 weeks before it starts on February 10th. Not with the runDisney weekend on MLK weekend.

Last edited:

They have started the last four park Lunar New Year celebrations in January, including the one for 2019 when Chinese New Year started on February 5, and I believe they ended that year at least a couple days before the official end of Chinese New Year. So yeah, maybe with a later start this year, Disney will wait until January 26 to get started. I have no knowledge of what date they will actually pick. I was just saying if Disney does what Disney usually does, then expect it to start in the park sometime second half of January.
It will start in very late January I suspect.

Wow, thanks for the discussion everyone. I've also been wondering about the dates but since no one knows for sure, I figure it's best to ask when the announcements for the dates are usually made :)
November-ish, it seems

The website says late January, so I would assume they won't wait until Feb to start it...

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/lunar-new-year/

"Ring in the new year with culinary delights, fun festivities and Disney Characters—scheduled to return in January 2024."

2023 - Jan 20-Feb 15; actual Feb 5
2022 - Jan 21-Feb 13; actual Feb 1
2021 - None; actual Feb 12
2020 - Jan 17-Feb 9; actual Jan 25
2019 - Jan 25-Feb 17; actual Feb 5
2018 Jan 26-Feb 18; actual Feb 16

Based on prior years I think we're looking at Jan 20th or 26th as a start date again, but we'll know for sure soonish! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter