Luau Experts - Need Opinions!

MJS

DIS Veteran
We are thinking about going to the luau next spring and we were wondering if it is something that we can take a 4 year old to. Is it scary in anyway? Is it long? If you took your kids, what did they think about it? Thanks!

Hi.

This is my opinion based off of my last visit there last year. I'm told the show has changed.

Here are some things to consider :
1. It's not scary but there is fire which might frighten some children.

2. Some of the dancers are in skimpy (but not revealing) luau outfits which may bother some parents.

3. It's not really as upbeat or "fun" as other Dinner shows and features no Disney Characters that I recall. To put it bluntly, some children might be bored. When I went with my then 4 year old DN , she slept through the luau.

4. On the other hand, some children like music and dancing more than others, esp little girls who want to be Lilo. :)

All in all, I would say, like anything else, it depends on the child. If you have a little girl who dreams of being Lilo or a little boy who is obsessed with Stitch, the luau might be perfect for them.

Another , more kid friendly show is the Hoop Dee Doo, which involves much more audience participation and I think children tend to enjoy much more. It's brighter and has more sing a long type songs.

:wave2: Hi
My sister and I were there in July. We had never seen the orginial Luau show, so we did not have anything to compare it to. Aunt Winnie is the hostess and her niece comes to visit from the main land. It is about bringing the old and new together. The first part of the show is more contemporary type of music and they have some of the audience come up on stage if they are celebrating a special occasion. The second half of the show is more traditional with the fire dancers in authentic tribesman type of costumes and the hula dancers. There are two shows one around 5PM and the other at 8PM. We went to the 8PM one and there were a lot of people there of all ages.
There were people sitting next to us with a couple of children who looked to be about 5 and 10 years old, they did leave before the show ended, but I am not sure as to why. Maybe you will get more responses from those who have young children and they will be able to help you decide if a 4 year old would like it or not. IMO it was good entertainment, but if I had to choose between it or the HDDR I would probably choose the HDDR. We saw the HDDR about 15 years ago with our nieces who at the time were 8 and 11 years old and all of us liked it.
Have a wonderful vacation and have fun!::MinnieMo ::MinnieMo
"Montana Minnies"

I have not been to the new luau, but when we went a few years ago DS's were 8 yrs old. The show wasn't scary or offensive IMO, and the boys really liked the show and we did see a lot of small girls dancing around (their parents had bought them grass skirts and they wore them to the luau). The only problem we encountered was that there was no children's menu and at the time my kids were not very adventurous in eating. They did eat a little but there wasn't much that they liked. So you might want to check out what kind of foods are served or if they now offer a children's menu.

Thanks for the help.

We went to HDDR this year, so we would not go next year. The idea of getting our DD a grass skirt is a good one!

Gllad to hear they now have a children's menu, I was so surprised that they didn't when we went as all the restaurants in Disney have something for children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter