Low sodium/kidney friendly

kmn952

Mouseketeer
Has anyone gone to Disney with a low sodium diet or kidney friendly diet. I’m supposed to keep my sodium milligrams under 2000 a day, have you had much luck with the restaurants? Any places you really like or suggest that can accommodate

Disney TS are great at adapting menu items for special dietary needs or cooking something from raw ingredients.

When booking an ADR, mark “Other” under allergies. Alert your server as to what’s needed, and a chef will likely come out to discuss specifics and advise you what can be fixed.

If interested in any family-style or buffet restaurants, the chef will fix a separate set of dishes for the low-sodium diner and regular ones for everyone else for family-style. They’ll walk you around a buffet to show you what is suitable and probably will also make a main dish especially for you.

Low sodium isn’t a huge challenge for TS. QS could be another story as many packaged ingredients as are used. At those, you might find a plain burger patty, unsalted fries or salad are about all you could have.

We rarely eat QS because we both have food sensitivities. I need gluten and dairy-free; DH is allergic to all peppers. Most QS just can’t offer us much.

Kidney Transplant Recipient here...
I can tell you that is going to be incredibly difficult, however I know that you can make special dietary request at table service restaurants and the chef will attempt to accommodate.

For instance, I can no longer eat off of a buffet (because of bacteria growth below certain temperatures), but I also want to eat at Boma Flavors. I'll call and get them to bring me a plate directly from the kitchen.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/

Huh. Sorry for overly optimistic info, then.

I’d not have envisioned such modifications would be that difficult.

Huh. Sorry for overly optimistic info, then.

I’d not have envisioned such modifications would be that difficult.

I didn't mean to imply that pre-arranging special dietary requests was difficult. It's actually fairly easy as you suggested.
What I meant to imply that was difficult was showing up and "finding" low-salt alternatives at quick-service counters in the park. I can actually only think of one that serves fresh fruit. Everything else is basically sodium-rich fast food.

My wife is on a very low sodium diet she tries to stay under 800 mg a day. Virtually every single TS restaurant we have eaten at has been more than accommodating. The chef will often come out and discuss with her what she like and make something for her. Even many quick service have been accommodating. We were at Sunshine Seasons in Epcot and I was ordering some rotisserie chicken and they asked my wife why she didn’t order and she said because of her salt intolerance. Even one of the cooks came out spoke with her and made her chicken thighs on the grill fresh With no salt! Some of the food carts just can’t simply because most is preprepared.
we always explain that she CAN have other spices and just because no salt doesn’t mean plain. She has had some amazingly good meals at Jiko, Topolinos, Monsieur Paul, Ale & Compass, even Il Mulino and Italian restaurants make her pasta without salting the water.
Be prepared to wait a little longer as they are making things fresh. So that’s always a bonus. I have asked on here and most people say that even the buffets can accommodate although we haven’t tried that yet but we are tryin Hoop Dee Doo as everyone has said they can make her something
Also we always get the chefs name and the waiter and leave a cast compliment for them.

My DM has a salt intolerance and Disney is so great accommodating her and my DH who can‘t have dairy or any hot spices such as black pepper. They can eat at just about any TS restaurant except for some of the exotic ones and even are able to enjoy buffets like Boma or the AYCTE platter at Liberty Tree Tavern. We did HDDR once years ago prior to Covid and back then they were able to accommodate them.

My DM has a salt intolerance and Disney is so great accommodating her and my DH who can‘t have dairy or any hot spices such as black pepper. They can eat at just about any TS restaurant except for some of the exotic ones and even are able to enjoy buffets like Boma or the AYCTE platter at Liberty Tree Tavern. We did HDDR once years ago prior to Covid and back then they were able to accommodate them.
Glad to hear about HDDR we are looking forward to it! Havent been in probably 20 years

Even many quick service have been accommodating. We were at Sunshine Seasons in Epcot and I was ordering some rotisserie chicken and they asked my wife why she didn’t order and she said because of her salt intolerance. Even one of the cooks came out spoke with her and made her chicken thighs on the grill fresh With no salt!

That's really awesome! I didn't think that was a possibility.
That's great to know for my next trip in Dec.

My husband also follows a low sodium diet and is a recent heart transplant patient. In the past, we've asked to speak with a chef at CS locations. Some are more helpful than others, even looking at the product labels for sodium content. The good chefs even seem excited about creating something for you.

I'm here now and have found servers generally helpful .

I came to the DIS tonight to try to find suggestions at Hollywood Studios because it seems elusive, today I had a Cobb Salad and ate around the salty stuff, it was ehhh but I am just not seeing anything else lunch like or fresh so I may do it again tomorrow

Be Our Guest at MK was $ but we had filet mignon and asked to not use salt and put all sauces to the side, worked fine but dessert was only a taste.

EPCOT went well with Spice Road Cauliflower with the sauce to the side and the sampler as well

Salads at the hotel were premixed so either plain or too much salty stuff, so unsalted french fries won out

Still searching for choices, I'll post more after the trip

I'm here now and have found servers generally helpful .

I came to the DIS tonight to try to find suggestions at Hollywood Studios because it seems elusive, today I had a Cobb Salad and ate around the salty stuff, it was ehhh but I am just not seeing anything else lunch like or fresh so I may do it again tomorrow

Be Our Guest at MK was $ but we had filet mignon and asked to not use salt and put all sauces to the side, worked fine but dessert was only a taste.

EPCOT went well with Spice Road Cauliflower with the sauce to the side and the sampler as well

Salads at the hotel were premixed so either plain or too much salty stuff, so unsalted french fries won out

Still searching for choices, I'll post more after the trip
When you sit at a restaurant ask to see a chef and explain your allergy. Most will talk with you and tell you what they can make you. The nice thing is you get nice fresh food. With the Cobb salad did you ask them to leave the salty stuff off? We have even found a lot of quick service places will cook for you without salt provided they have the ingredients. Our last trip we went to Boma and the chef came out and made my wife probably the best meal she had all trip with no salt at all and he used a bunch of different flavors and spices but was very knowledgeable and nothing had salt. Made her salmon, chicken vegetable and a salad. We thanked him profusely and he said he was so happy to be able to cook something different for a change. In Epcot we were in the chicken quick serve and we asked the chef and he made her fresh grilled chicken thighs that were so good. It takes some patience because the food is cooked fresh but it’s worth the wait

More low sodium options that worked out.

We had an amazing experience and very accommodating meal by Cef Yvan at Amare at Swan Reserve. The meal was expensive but I really wanted the Souvlaki and Chef Yvan put the plate together so it worked for me. I had the beef skewers with everything separated out so I could dip and add flavors in moderation, which seems to work best. As an aside, we had outstanding drinks at their bar Stir after being turned away from parking at the Polynesian where we wanted to try Trader Sam's, we were told it was on lockdown against anyone without reservations at a restaurant which we didn't know was a thing & now we know.

I had been having very little luck at the Port Orleans Riverside with low sodium until Chef Oscar at Boatright's came out to the table and helped me pick a custom combination. I ended up with Chef Oscar kindly preparing Amelia's Salad and the add on Grilled Shrimp prepared with garilc and onion powder, the Tarragon puree was superb and enough to flavor everything via dipping but I don't know if this puree is always so low sodium or was made for me. It was a smallish salad as it isn't intended as an entree but I think they could easily get something on the menu, he was super helpful. I ended up with some no salt fries at the bar a little later which was very nice, potatoes may be bland but they never fail.

We went to Hollywood Studios again but this time we started out with breakfast at an off property First Watch & I had no salt added Avocado Toast with egg, and we took a salad and a sandwich to go for lunch in the car.

There is a Whole Foods in Orlando and while I have never been to this particular one I have found Whole Foods Roast Chicken to be low sodium, not as low sodium as if I made it but enough where I could drop some in a salad and be ok.

It would be nice if there were some clear menu options that would take away the guesswork throughout the property. In particular, it would be great if there were inexpensive grab and go selections through the parks like a Caprese or Eggplant sandwich and no salt chicken breast that could be added to simple fresh menu selections. I have this stuff all the time at home and it really isn't expensive.

TBH it seems unfair that only people with a decent amount of disposable income can have access to low sodium meals at table service which is much more $, it seems like a thing that would apply to people on limited income more often.

Last edited:
This is encouraging! DH recently got diagnosed with Kidney disease and this weekend will be our first trip to WDW since being put on an extremely low sodium diet and I was hesitant to book any reservations at all your can eat restaurants because of the money and thinking he'd only be able to eat salad. I saw a reservation opening for HDDR and we've never done it. I booked it and fingers crossed he gets to enjoy more than just a salad. After seeing your comment and others we are feeling more confident!

We just returned from a trip and ate at
Story Book Dining
Flying Fish
Blue Zoo
Via Napoli
Steakhouse 71

all of these restaurants made my wife excellent meals with no salt. All very accommodating

This is encouraging! DH recently got diagnosed with Kidney disease and this weekend will be our first trip to WDW since being put on an extremely low sodium diet and I was hesitant to book any reservations at all your can eat restaurants because of the money and thinking he'd only be able to eat salad. I saw a reservation opening for HDDR and we've never done it. I booked it and fingers crossed he gets to enjoy more than just a salad. After seeing your comment and others we are feeling more confident!
Hey!! so I have kidney disease and this is one of the places we ended up eating. Contact special diets, and do a form ahead of time. Hoop dee doo made the most amazing meal.it was one of my favorites on the entire trip!

Hey!! so I have kidney disease and this is one of the places we ended up eating. Contact special diets, and do a form ahead of time. Hoop dee doo made the most amazing meal.it was one of my favorites on the entire trip!
Thanks! I just submitted the form and appreciate the feedback for Hoop Dee Doo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter