Low Carb Help

FergieTCat

I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
Can you successfully do a low carb diet while eating fruit?

:confused:

I guess it depends on how much you intend to restrict your carbs. By keeping the carb grams low you reduce your cravings/hunger. Some people are set off into a binge quicker than others when they have their glycemic indexed raised -- which fruit can do. Some fruits like strawberries and blueberries are much lower in carb than others --- like banana's which are higher in carb. I would certainly choose a piece of fruit over a piece of bread, pasta, rice, or sugary product. (assuming none of the mentioned are whole grains). I am doing low carb but not necessarily Atkins. I've read the Atkins book to better help me understand the low carb process. I still eat LOTS of lower carb veggies and even some fruit now and then. I am eating better now then I ever did! Do I have eggs fried in butter with bacon -- YES -- but certainly NOT on a regular basis. No more than I would have had before except before this way of eating for me I would have added to those eggs and bacon some homefried potatoes and white toast.;)

Yes! I'm on Atkins, and one of my favorite snacks is blueberries or strawberries with cream poured on top!

Or I'll make a protein shake, and throw in some berries for flavor!

Sometimes my mid-afternoon snack is an apple with peanut butter! (The real kind, not the kind with added sugar).

But, if you start a low-carb program, remember you can't have fruit during the first 2 weeks, because you're cleaning your system of all the sugars. If you can make it through the first 2 weeks, then you can slowly add some fruit to your diet!

Good luck! :)

There are several low carb programs out there. Some include more fruits and a higher total carb level than the Atkins plan. On Atkins (as previously posted) low carb berries are added after induction and you may also have some melon eventually. My point though, is that Atkins plan is not the only low carb plan out there... and you should evaluate what would work best for you.

Here is a link to a site that compares the various plans:

comparison of low carb plans

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter