low carb diet - adding yummy carbs in without getting sick?

jkolkemo

Mouseketeer
Going to try to stay as healthy as I can with my low carb diet, but want to take a bite of each of the yummy snacks we get. Anyone know how to not get sick while doing this. Going to try to not do the pasta or carby sides while there and just allow the suger stuff, but I know that is harder to add back in. Just can't imagine Disney without Dole Whips. Plan on snacking on healthy things every 2 hours to help maintain my balance and do lean and green when possible. We are going to be in DL for 11 days. A long time to modify. Any suggestions?

I eat Keto but it all goes out the window at DLR. I did have a Cobb Salad at Flo's one day this weekend, but the rest was Churros, ice cream, corn dogs etc. I never felt sick. I made sure to stay hydrated. By the end of day 3 though, my body really craved a detox.

We're keto as well. My hubby is planning on staying keto while I plan on eating all the things! Or just the really awesome ones like grey stuff and dole whip.

I would say make sure you keep your water intake up. Did carbs make you sick before, or you just like a low carb lifestyle? If the latter, I don't know that you'll get sick if you do things in moderation... also, I really believe that carbs are carbs. Dole whip, pasta, pizza, bread, churros - all carbs. So, maybe pick one thing each day to indulge yourself/enjoy :)

We're keto as well. My hubby is planning on staying keto while I plan on eating all the things! Or just the really awesome ones like grey stuff and dole whip.
The keto flu really only hits when you go back on Keto. When you go back, you will need to take it easy getting the carbs back down to under 10% and protein back to 20%. Do it too fast, and Keto flu hits.

I would say make sure you keep your water intake up. Did carbs make you sick before, or you just like a low carb lifestyle? If the latter, I don't know that you'll get sick if you do things in moderation... also, I really believe that carbs are carbs. Dole whip, pasta, pizza, bread, churros - all carbs. So, maybe pick one thing each day to indulge yourself/enjoy :)
Keto isn't really just low carb. It is keeping your carbs at 10% or less of your diet, protein to 20%, and your fats at 70%. Macros are important part of the diet. Usually, you have to drop the carbs a little slower than if you are just doing low carb because you aren't doing high protein, you are doing high fat.

Keto isn't really just low carb. It is keeping your carbs at 10% or less of your diet, protein to 20%, and your fats at 70%. Macros are important part of the diet. Usually, you have to drop the carbs a little slower than if you are just doing low carb because you aren't doing high protein, you are doing high fat.

Hmmm... the OP mentioned nothing about a keto diet, I was simply answering his/her questions and addressing his/her comment about avoiding certain carbs (pasta) vs. others (sugar). Perhaps he/she is following a keto diet, in which case it's going to be very hard to indulge at all and stay under that 10% mark. My child is diabetic, I understand carbs - what I was trying to say is that none of the food that we are talking about here is going to be high in fibre, therefore they are all going to be high in net carbs... doesn't matter if they are bread or candy apples :)

Do you avoid certain carbs because of inflammation or pain? There's so much walking at DL that you might find your feet more swollen with a change in diet. That's been my experience - not sickness or nausea, but inflammation. Drink water, put your feet up when you can, and if you start to feel gross after a few days, maybe eat clean (or as clean as DL allows) for a day or two in there. You have 11 days, which is plenty of time to take it slow! Have a fabulous time!

I'm not on a specific diet, but I do have triggers that make me feel sick. Do you know already what affects you?

For me, I find it best to get what I want and share it. I can eat a whole churro/Dole Whip/etc but would get to try many other treats if I have just a bite or two of each thing. Sometimes, I bring snack baggies or containers so that I don't have to eat things all at once. Take a bite now, save the rest for later.

I'm also picky now about my treats in Disneyland. If I can find it elsewhere, I tend not to splurge on it at DLR/DCA.

I wouldn't throw out your normal eating for the full 11 days. I can usually get away with a day or two of eating poorly if the rest of my time is healthier/fresher. Other idea is to just do one splurge item per day and having a bite of something to taste/enjoy will probably be okay as long as you keep up your protein and water intake. Make sure you don't come close to getting dehydrated.

I follow a keto diet and just got back from our DL trip two weeks ago. I did really well for the first few days and then those darn millennial pink macarons got me. LOL! What I did was shared all sweet treats I *had* to have. I had two ears off the macaron, 1/4 a choice dipped s'more, shared a sundae with my son (that one got away from me a bit ;), etc. It did send me into a free for all on our travel day home, but I hopped right back on the wagon the next day with no problems and no low carb/keto flu. Best of luck to you and share, share, share!

When on vacation, I try to do low carb/keto for my meals and blow it on snacks and alcohol. Desserts and sweets are what I really crave anyway. I don't stay in keto then. I do try to get a good healthy salad with leafy dark greens at least every other day, if not once a day. It makes my system happy when eating poorly on vacation.

How long have you been low carb? I started almost a year ago (not Keto) and we just got back from 9 days at WDW. I had a whole list of restaurants/snacks that I wanted but turned out I mostly stuck to the healthier stuff anyway. Had no problem splitting the decadent snacks & desserts or just eating a few bites. A little indulgence went a long way for me with no ill side affects.

Strict Keto here too since January!! We are doing 3 weeks total with half spent in Hawaii and half spent at Disneyland and while I am nervous, I've done my menu research and know what I can have and where so that I don't fall back to old habits.

Funny story, we went on a Royal Caribbean cruise over spring break, so I was about two months into Keto. I was down about 20 pounds at that point and feeling good. So I told myself I'd allow myself one cheat during those 7 days. Well the first day went by, nothing seemed spectacular enough to cheat with. Then the second day, I was still putting it off in case something amazing came up. And so forth and so forth, until I had gotten off the cruise and not had a cheat meal. I kept waiting and saving it, getting to the end and then realizing I waited too long, was time to go home! LOL.

I'm hoping that happens on this trip as I'm now down another 20 pounds since spring break and really don't want to lose momentum. But I really like everyone's ideas above as far as just taking a bite here or there of something someone else gets. As a family of 5, I'm sure that opportunity will arise with me often, so here's hoping! Not sure a bite a day will kick me out of ketosis, so I feel fairly safe there! But I do have to say, there are TONS of low/no carb type options at Disney. Just gotta research menus and no where to look. It's hard to find a place where you can't modify to meet your needs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter