Love the podcast but you're not David Letterman

No fun allowed huh?

To me it looks like a bunch of friends having fun - and I feel privileged that I get to watch/listen to them invite me to join.

I think it's all in good fun as this podcast is -restricting them is not providing you with an authentic experience of who this team is.

Yeah I think it is something I'd rather they skip! Be respectful of the CMs time. Dancing in the rain Mary Poppins style? Brilliant!!! But it should only involve podcasters, guests, CMs, characters or others who AGREED to it beforehand. Then it's all in fun.

Shove a camera in a CM face on a busy day to make a joke about nationality or other taboo topic? And broadcast LIVE to tens of thousand? The live thing is critical if they make an embarrassing poor choice of words. The Internet is forever!

Nope, they didn't sign up for that.

CMs are mostly used to or expecting to end up on camera's at some point. part of the job.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this kind of stuff. And since I watch live on Tuesdays, it's not a matter of skipping forward. I cringed during the entire segment this week. I know some would argue that we're just being too serious and need to loosen up...and maybe that's true. Maybe all of my years of hearing HR spiels about respect in the workplace have jaded/brainwashed me, but I don't like where things are going with these

tons of podcast exist I'm sure one has to be basic and meh enough.

Shove a camera in a CM face on a busy day to make a joke about nationality or other taboo topic? And broadcast LIVE to tens of thousand? The live thing is critical if they make an embarrassing poor choice of words. The Internet is forever!

Nope, they didn't sign up for that.

This is a good point I hadn't thought about. I would feel really bad if a cast member didn't respond the way Disney wanted them to, because they were put on the spot, and then they lost their job, all for a gag.

This is a good point I hadn't thought about. I would feel really bad if a cast member didn't respond the way Disney wanted them to, because they were put on the spot, and then they lost their job, all for a gag.
Right, Oliver says these are "my friends" like he is snap chatting or Facetiming someone on a truth or dare. He didn't disclose he is LIVE on one of the biggest Disney podcasts streaming to everyone and their sister and then its posted to You Tube. This isn't someone's personal vacation pictures.

I am not completely against it, I think it is fun and I laughed on Tuesday. But I do think the live part does deserve consideration. Nothing bad has happened, it's all been innocent and harmless so far, but these gags can become a slippery slope.

Right, Oliver says these are "my friends" like he is snap chatting or Facetiming someone on a truth or dare. He didn't disclose he is LIVE on one of the biggest Disney podcasts streaming to everyone and their sister and then its posted to You Tube. This isn't someone's personal vacation pictures.

I am not completely against it, I think it is fun and I laughed on Tuesday. But I do think the live part does deserve consideration. Nothing bad has happened, it's all been innocent and harmless so far, but these gags can become a slippery slope.

Yeah, come to think of it, I'd always felt a little uneasy about those segments, and could never put my finger on why, but now I think it's because the cast members involved are not fully aware of what they're doing. It's one thing if Oliver says, "Hey, I'm from the DIS podcast, and the team has challenged me to get ten people to conga line through the Morocco pavilion - are you in?" But you're right, the cast members don't seem to be aware of the extent of the joke.

I just don't think it's funny. I'm not offended by it. I don't see it as hazing or rude. I tend to think Ollie appreciates the joke - I think if he didn't, the gang wouldn't ask him to do the stuff, so that's not my issue.

But I just don't think it's funny. It almost feels like an inside joke that you are almost a part of, but not quite. And it goes on too long with too many people trying to get in their twist on the request. "Now ask this..." "No, ask THIS..."

Humor is obviously subjective and you can't please everyone. If people enjoy it, and it seems like many do, more power to them.

I usually watch live, so I can't skip the piece, but if I watch the recorded version, I would skip over it. It's certainly not enough to make me stop watching entirely, though. Love the rest of the show... and love the idea of the live, in-park segment, I just wish they'd stop doing this particular gag over and over.

I just don't think it's funny. I'm not offended by it. I don't see it as hazing or rude. I tend to think Ollie appreciates the joke - I think if he didn't, the gang wouldn't ask him to do the stuff, so that's not my issue.

But I just don't think it's funny. It almost feels like an inside joke that you are almost a part of, but not quite. And it goes on too long with too many people trying to get in their twist on the request. "Now ask this..." "No, ask THIS..."

Humor is obviously subjective and you can't please everyone. If people enjoy it, and it seems like many do, more power to them.

I usually watch live, so I can't skip the piece, but if I watch the recorded version, I would skip over it. It's certainly not enough to make me stop watching entirely, though. Love the rest of the show... and love the idea of the live, in-park segment, I just wish they'd stop doing this particular gag over and over.

This is how I feel. I wasn't thinking about HR issues or CM's involvement being inappropriate. I just think its kind of a knock off that doesn't play and is probably funnier if you are in the room but not listening on a podcast. Maybe the video is funnier than the podcast format. Letterman had comedy writers to come up with super off the wall stuff that made it funny. The stuff they ask Oliver to do is just kind of goofy, but not really inventive.

I like the show for the strong opinions offered and the information -- that is the strong point. I listen to other podcasts that I appreciate for the comedy like Mad Chatters.

A great example might be a gag about awful food in MK. Oliver walks up to a cute young CM and says,"I have come all the way from England to eat at Tony's!!!" The CM without thinking could say,"The food there is completely crap, go to Cosmic Ray's"
They might regret it immediately, but it's too late.

Last edited:
A great example might be a gag about awful food in MK. Oliver walks up to a cute young CM and says,"I have come all the way from England to eat at Tony's!!! The CM without thinking could say,"The food there is completely crap. go to Cosmic Ray's"

I haven't seen the video but is Oliver walking up with a microphone? If so I think that is notice that this could be transmitted everywhere. If he is not , you wonder if there is a law against it. If these are taped I am sure the Disboards crew would make sure to edit that part out if there were potential legal issues.

I haven't seen the video but is Oliver walking up with a microphone? If so I think that is notice that this could be transmitted everywhere. If he is not , you wonder if there is a law against it. If these are taped I am sure the Disboards crew would make sure to edit that part out if there were potential legal issues.
Right, but they can't edit if they are streaming live.

I haven't listened to this week's show yet as I just finished last week's show (the 6th?) and in that episode they had Tom Bell in Disneyland wandering around the park and I LOVED it. I was only listening - did not watch - and even though it was a sight gag, it still cracked me up! Maybe I just love a good one-liner and the sounds of other people laughing or trying to hold it together and failing. I vote to keep these silly things in the show here and there. I am probably the average listener/watcher who is very familiar with the Disney parks and much of what the team discusses is old hat. As much as I love a good news story about Jasmine's costume change (sarcasm), I prefer these off-the-cuff antics any day.

I enjoy those parts, They are amusing at times. What I don't enjoy is the 20+ minutes of talking about nothingness that seems to happen at the beginning of every podcast. I feel like half their conversations shouldn't even be in the podcast at times and should happen before they start recording. Not trying to be negative nancy here, It just gets old when you're listening to hear about the topics that are in the title of the podcast, And you have to sit through half of it with no information just generalized conversation between multiple people. It feels like you got invited to lunch with 4 friends that you don't know and they're chit chatting about only things they relate to between themselves. I subscribe to 8+ Disney podcasts and this is the only one I get this feeling about. They do put out great information, You just have to be willing to sit through other stuff or fast forward to the parts you wanna know about.

I actually love the conversations! It's something entertaining to listen to while I'm at work. I always find myself wishing the episode would go longer, even if that just means idle Disney chit-chat. If I really needed to know about the specific topics in the title, I'm sure I could find that information without listening at all.

That said, I do think they've gone a little overboard with the Oliver segments. As others have pointed out, the cast members don't really know what they're participating in. That isn't really fair, and also means the replies are confused and not funny. If the DIS team set this kind of segment up with a cast member beforehand, then he/she could provide a pithy response, and that would be better.

I do love that they're going into the parks, but I think there are other ways to do the segment that don't involve unwitting bystanders.

Dave stopped because Rupert Jee was finally nearly assaulted. Where will this end??? With an unconscious Oliver bleeding all over the sidewalk in front of the Main Street Bakery, that's where!! :-)

A great example might be a gag about awful food in MK. Oliver walks up to a cute young CM and says,"I have come all the way from England to eat at Tony's!!!" The CM without thinking could say,"The food there is completely crap, go to Cosmic Ray's"

So what? He didn't make the cast member say that.

A lot of "what ifs..." on a fun little gag that friends seem to enjoy.

I know that Oliver is in on the joke and cool with the whole situation, but I am also one who skips that part. I can't stand to watch when anyone does this - Dave Letterman, Ellen, whoever. I also can't stand practical jokes, and April Fool's Day makes me want to hide under the covers for 24 hours. It is definitely personal taste in comedy, and I seem to have an overly developed sense of empathy when it comes to embarrassing situations. To me it has nothing to do with the quality of the gag, it is just that I feel horribly embarrassed by proxy. I wish I could 'let it go' and appreciate the humor, but it's just not in my makeup. I don't expect the gang to stop them on my (or anyone's) account, but there are those of us who dive for the fast forward button each time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter