Love, Death and New Life through the lens of Disney

What a wonderful honeymoon filled with such great times and memories. Thanks for sharing it with us!!

Just found your report and enjoyed it so much! I always look at the honeymooners and envy them at the beginning of their lives and so young. Its funny to see that this was only 2004 which isn't terribly long ago but things look different.

I've adored reading your trip report so far! I can't wait for the next update! :goodvibes

I am really enjoying your report! I can't wait to read about your other Disney trips that you have taken and how they differ from your Honeymoon. Looking forward to more!

Melissa

It seems like each trip I have gone on has it's own unique feel. Well at least that is what I feel like. I will have to find out what you think.

I am so thoroughly enjoying your trip report, and such a great update. I love that fountain at the CSR...it is one of my favorite picture spots there.

Every time we passed that fountain we talked about how we needed to get a picture but never actually did it till we were checking out.

What a wonderful honeymoon filled with such great times and memories. Thanks for sharing it with us!!

Your welcome! It really has been a great experience for me and one that I am glad I have done. I have been writing it in Word and when I am done with the whole thing I plan to print it off and put it in a binder for my son to have when he is older. I also plan to continue to write about any other Disney trip we have so when he is grown he will have a giant binder full of trip reports from his life.

Just found your report and enjoyed it so much! I always look at the honeymooners and envy them at the beginning of their lives and so young. Its funny to see that this was only 2004 which isn't terribly long ago but things look different.

I look at them with envy now too. It is so crazy how much changes in such short periods of time at Disney, yet it always seems to stay the same. I guess that is what makes it great. There is always something new to experience but there is also always the classic stuff that you can't live without.

Hi! New reader. I'm really enjoying your TR. Reminds me of my honeymoon years ago!

New Reader! I truly enjoyed your stories and will be looking foward to the next post..

I've adored reading your trip report so far! I can't wait for the next update! :goodvibes

Welcome, welcome, welcome! I feel so honored to have all of you reading my trip report. I really only expected to have maybe one or two followers. It feels great to share my story with you all.

After our honeymoon ended we headed back to Minnesota and back to our lives. I was in grad school and working part time as a youth pastor. Ben worked as a ramp agent (luggage guy) at the airport. Our life was fantastic. We lived in a one-bedroom apartment in campus housing and traveled a lot since we had flight benefits through Ben’s job. We knew that we wanted kids but wanted to wait till I was done with school and we were more settled.

I quickly found out that there was going to be a youth ministry conference in Anaheim and knew that I was going to have to go so that I could attach a trip to Disneyland. Ben had never been to Disneyland so he came along too. We got some friends to also go to the conference and go a couple days early. We got 3-day park hoppers and stayed off property. We had a blast. It was so much fun to go with a group of friends. Here are some pictures from that trip.

Day 1 (Ben and I flew in and headed straight to the park. Our friends flew in that evening and would join us in the park the next day)

Scan13-3.jpg

Scan12-2.jpg

Scan11-3.jpg

Scan10-3.jpg

Day 2 with friends

Scan9-3.jpg

This picture actually may have ended up in something they were making for some celebration. ha ha I don't remember all the details. I do know that some special photographer was there and we had to sign waivers for them to use the picture. They were making one of those pictures made out of pictures and wanted to use it in that. Actually the lady standing behind the car on the left hand side is holding a clipboard with the waivers we signed.

Scan8-3.jpg

Scan7-2.jpg

Scan6-3.jpg

This is seriously one of my all time favorite Disney photos

Scan5-3.jpg

This is another one of my favorites just from the story that goes behind it. That day we had been going on rides all day and decided that the Matterhorn would be the last ride we did that day. We ended up actually being the last people on the ride. It was so fun to know that we were the last ones. When we were heading down the mountain it felt like we were going exceptionally fast. I just remember everyone was in such a good mood after spending the day at Disneyland and we were all laughing and just in the best of moods. We were so happy that we wanted to capture the moment and had the cast member take this photo. This moment was one of the most happy and carefree moments of my life.

Day 3 (California Adventure and Disneyland)

Scan4-3-1.jpg

The typical picture with one of the CALIFORNIA letters that signifies something to the person. ha ha. We chose L because our last name starts with L.

Scan3-3.jpg

The picture was taken because Ben is known for always having a different hairstyle/facial hairstyle. His hair would go anywhere from how short it was at our wedding to a little bit longer than what it is on this trip. His facial hair would also change weekly. Most of the time he would be clean shaven, but he loved to try out all different types of mustaches. So the fact that there is a fake store at CA named Ben Hair made us all laugh and was definitely picture worthy.

Scan2-3.jpg

Scan1-3.jpg

Scan-3.jpg

Well turns out all our pictures were from California Adventure that day but we actually spent half the day at Disneyland. The first day with our friends had been perfect. There wasn't a single disagreement between any of us which we thought was pretty impressive since there were five of us. We had so much fun and were just so happy. The next day when we headed to CA we all were kinda cranky. We all wanted to do different things and actually split up for awhile. When we came back together around lunchtime we started to talk about how Disneyland truly was the happiest place on earth and maybe we should just go back there so we could be happy again. We all laughed but decided we wanted to do that anyway. It was crazy because as soon as we made it through the turnstiles everything was perfect again. I guess it was just a little Disney magic. We did obviously go back to CA that night for the Electrical Light Parade which was great and we had amazing seats for.

This trip was so much fun and really makes me want to do another all adult friend trip. I just need to find friends who would be willing to leave there husbands and kids and spend money on a trip to Disney World. I am not holding my breath most of my friends don't get my obsession with Disney.

Once again all Ben and I could talk about was one day when we had kids and how fun it would be to take them to Disney. We had no clue what the next couple of years would bring and we definitely weren’t planning any trips to Disney. It was something we always wanted to do but we just couldn’t figure out how to pay for it when we were paying for school too.

I graduated from grad school in December of 2005 and quickly got a job in Northern Idaho. I had grown up in Washington State and Ben had grown up in Northwest Indiana. I applied for jobs all over the country, but really both of us wanted to head out west. So when I was offered a job in Idaho I was so excited. We were moving closer to my family and friends.

We moved to Sandpoint, Idaho in January 2006. Sandpoint is a small town of about 8000 people in northern Idaho about an hour from Canada. I had received a job as a youth pastor at a local church and Ben was unemployed. The town is a resort town as well with two tourist seasons. In the winter you have the ski enthusiasts coming to the Schweitzer Ski Resort located there and in the summer you had all the people coming to their lake cabins since Sandpoint is located along Lake Pend Oreille (pronounced ponderay), which is the largest lake in Idaho. It really was a picturesque place. A town nestled in the mountains along an amazing lake. The only problem about this small town is that there really weren’t many people living there in there mid 20s like us.

Sandpoint.jpg

Sandpoint, Idaho

22367_253679942286_505067286_3054487_5978521_n.jpg

A Super cheesy picture of us on the lake in Sandpoint

We had just left a community of 20 somethings and many friends and were now in a small resort town with no friends. During this time our relationship just grew stronger. When you are in a place where you only have each other it really gives you time to grow as a couple and become closer. We lived in Sandpoint for 2 ½ years and they were some of my happiest times. By the time we were planning to move again we had many friends who truly loved and cared for us.

Towards the end of 2006 Ben and I decided we finally were ready for kids. We used to stay up at night talking about how wonderful it would be to be parents and to show them the world. We loved to travel and couldn’t wait to take our children to National Parks and of course Disney.

n505067286_216173_2357-1.jpg

My favorite maternity picture

Our son, Raider was born January 29, 2008. It was an amazing day and I had never been so in love with Ben than that day. We had created the most amazing little boy and were so in love. We felt like life was finally starting. We both had great jobs, (I was working at the church and he was working at a boarding school for troubled teens) we had a beautiful son and were living in an amazing community of friends.

n505067286_263287_8237.jpg

l_282c7ac3f2472c5b2cf020623cfa71ef.jpg

This was taken on Father's Day

l_171d1d86b06bcb3c266fb8fad3772060.jpg

The Happy Family (This was taken on St. Patrick's Day so that is why we are all wearing green)

Life was good!!

Love the pictures of Ben and your son; can definitely see what you mean about the different hair/facial hair moods.

Your story is so touching.

Love the picture of Ben kissing your baby bump!! Your son is absolutely adorable!! Can't wait to read more.

Melissa

This was my bedtime story tonight, thank you. Getting everything down in writing is wonderful, sharing it even more so.

Thank you for writing this. It is so well written and your photos are wonderful. I look forward to reading the rest of it.

This is an extremely well-crafted report.

I am just braced-- and I mean this in the most respectful way possible-- for the gut punch that I know is coming.

After you posted the picture of your legacy square, I was able to google your name and found your blog and read almost all of it last night. I now feel like I "know" you better and as I am following along on this TR, I have to say that I admire your strength and your eloquence and your deameanor.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. It is an honor for those of us that get to read it.

After seeing the other comment about the blog, I googled also and I'm reading it right now. I'm currently in November, I just wanted to say that I admire your strength and grace. This really is a reminder to me to cherish every single day.

Thanks for sharing your story. I am really hanging on every word.

Love the pictures of Ben and your son; can definitely see what you mean about the different hair/facial hair moods.

Your story is so touching.

Love the picture of Ben kissing your baby bump!! Your son is absolutely adorable!! Can't wait to read more.

Melissa

This was my bedtime story tonight, thank you. Getting everything down in writing is wonderful, sharing it even more so.

You write beautifully and it is so obviously from your heart! Subbing to laugh and smile and cry with you. :grouphug:

Thank you for writing this. It is so well written and your photos are wonderful. I look forward to reading the rest of it.

This is an extremely well-crafted report.

I am just braced-- and I mean this in the most respectful way possible-- for the gut punch that I know is coming.

After you posted the picture of your legacy square, I was able to google your name and found your blog and read almost all of it last night. I now feel like I "know" you better and as I am following along on this TR, I have to say that I admire your strength and your eloquence and your deameanor.

Thank you for taking us along.....

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. It is an honor for those of us that get to read it.

After seeing the other comment about the blog, I googled also and I'm reading it right now. I'm currently in November, I just wanted to say that I admire your strength and grace. This really is a reminder to me to cherish every single day.

Thank you all for your wonderful words of encouragement. Writing my story has been so wonderful for me. I am at a really good place where I get to look back at things and rejoice.

My next post actually will have a link to my blog, but for those of you who want to read it now I will give it to you here. www.hopeforben.blogspot.com
I should have a new post up this evening.

I hope that even though the rest of this trip report may have an undertone of sadness that you will see joy in every word. Thanks again for reading and letting me share.

I just started reading your blog, starting at the beginning.

Oh, what can I possibly say? I can see so clearly your faith and your husband's faith and why hope was in the name of your blog. I am so so sorry that the two of you had to go through that. I look up, above my computer, to the sign that hangs there...

"There are only two way to live your life. One is though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

It's clear how you live your life, how Ben lived his. I'm crying, but there is so much faith and hope and love there. I see it all. You must get tired of strangers wanting to hug you! :goodvibes

Thank you for sharing your life with us. Your love for your husband was felt in every word.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter