• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Love Bugs

How important is it to quickly get them off your car? I’ve read that they’re quite caustic and cause problems with a car’s paint. We’re driving in for a week and don’t particularly want to worry about getting our car washed every other day like some of the articles I’ve read, but of course we don’t want to destroy our car either.

crossing my fingers that they will ease up in a week's time. My youngest has some sensory issues and flying bugs are one of her big triggers. It could be a really rough vacation for us. :(

We just got back last night. The love bugs were everywhere. Especially on the chairs by the pool - swarms of them. They are just annoying. But they don't bite! So just flick them off. They don't hurt you. I'd take love bugs over mosquitos or ticks any day! My son gets huge welts and rashes from mosquito bites and had a lyme tick bite last year with the rash (and antibiotics) and I now check him every night with a magnifying glass for ticks - so disney was a nice break from having to check and worry about that. I'll take non biting bugs anytime!! But they are annoying - they were even in our gift shop bags from just walking around! The front of the buses were covered. The pool was closed one day since a swarm clogged the filter. Yesterday I didn't see hardly any - either I'm used to them or they are dying off now. I think they are only out for like 2 weeks so by next week they should be all gone. Last year we went May 18th week and I never saw one. So they must be on the way out now.

We just got back last night. The love bugs were everywhere. Especially on the chairs by the pool - swarms of them. They are just annoying. But they don't bite! So just flick them off. They don't hurt you. I'd take love bugs over mosquitos or ticks any day! My son gets huge welts and rashes from mosquito bites and had a lyme tick bite last year with the rash (and antibiotics) and I now check him every night with a magnifying glass for ticks - so disney was a nice break from having to check and worry about that. I'll take non biting bugs anytime!! But they are annoying - they were even in our gift shop bags from just walking around! The front of the buses were covered. The pool was closed one day since a swarm clogged the filter. Yesterday I didn't see hardly any - either I'm used to them or they are dying off now. I think they are only out for like 2 weeks so by next week they should be all gone. Last year we went May 18th week and I never saw one. So they must be on the way out now.

Wow! It sounds like this year was particularly bad. We were there April 20-27. We did see a few every day while we were there. I always thought they came out in May, so I was a bit surprised they were out already. But I guess they don’t have a calendar to follow, so maybe they didn’t know what date it was, lol. Seems like as a general rule, expect them late April - early May for about 4 weeks. And again in September, we usually go the second week & they are around, but nothing like you experienced.

We are going the first two weeks of May next year. We splurged on a Boardwalk/Water view and darn it I'm going to use that balcony!

I'll just pack my wine glass that has a lid (like a sippy cup for adults), put on a sunhat, sit on my balcony and let the love flow! ;)

For those of you driving up from the south, I'd recommend you pick up your own personal squeegie, small plastic pan, and window cleaner (we got everything at Target). We had to clean our windshield multiple times while driving up and down the turnpike. The rest stops had quite the lines at the window washer machines and people waiting to use the gas station squeegies. This saved us so much time; we parked cleaned our windshield, threw everything back in the trunk and were back on the turnpike quickly. Remember to turn off your automatic windshield wipers to avoid just smearing them.

They’re literally swarming around my lounge chair at this moment. Between those and the downpours we experienced Monday & Tuesday, I probably won’t choose May to visit Florida again if I can help it.

They’re literally swarming around my lounge chair at this moment. Between those and the downpours we experienced Monday & Tuesday, I probably won’t choose May to visit Florida again if I can help it.

Wonderful!! More availability for us FL residents.

But, in all seriousness, this is the worst year for love bugs in the past 5 or so. This used to be the normal then they were gone for a few years for the most part and now they're back to the nuisance they were a number of years ago.

We arrived on Monday and got home on Friday afternoon. That's when we actually washed the car. The finish was good after it was washed.

I'm just back (the 15th) and while they were "around" I didn't find they affected the quality of my trip. However there were lots of kids and a few adults having screaming fits when the bugs got on them....

I live rural and as long as it's not a tick, hornet or chigger I'm cool....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter