• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Love bugs in May

cgdisney

Earning My Ears
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask. Thinking of AKL for May 2020, but am worried about the love bugs. I have heard they are terrible

We have been numerous times in May and the sightings of the love bugs have varied form Not at all to piles of dead ones in the corners of the bus stops. But it also varied from place to place where we saw them. There were only a few in the parks to large amounts at Coronado Springs. I hate bugs but, for some reason, these did not bother me.

sorry to hijack....

what are love bugs? we're going in may for the first time this year and now I'm worried. My youngest is terrified of bugs.

sorry to hijack....

what are love bugs? we're going in may for the first time this year and now I'm worried. My youngest is terrified of bugs.

It looks like a regional seasonal nuisance bug...I went in May last year and don't remember any bugs.

i remember them being more of a problem at moderate resorts, because of exterior corridors. i don’t remember them being a big deal at AKL.

sorry to hijack....

Love bugs are little critters about the size and shape of lightning bugs that um...pair up...and then fly around together. They don't bite, they only see humans as another surface to land on, no different from a bench or a railing.

They tend to form swarms in fall and spring, so you may run into the occasional swarm around the parks or your resort. I found it was easy enough to walk away from the area where they're currently hanging out. Not every love bug season is a bad one, sometimes you'll see a lot of them, sometimes, hardly any at all. Even the time I was there during what was considered a bad season, I only remember seeing them at the AK bus loading area and the pool at POR.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-love-bug-season-florida...

th

Saw them one year. We mostly saw them at boat docks and bus stops, or walking around resorts. Not so much in the parks. It isn’t really that big a deal. It’s almost as if they are “confused” and will just land on anything or anyone. We tried not to bring it to the attention of our children and if a pair landed on them we’d shoo it away.

They are harmless to humans. No worse than lady bugs or fireflies. They are just annoying because they swarm. More of a problem if you are driving and literally hit a patch of them. If you are driving or renting a car around that time, just make sure you have enough wiper fluid in case you need it.

Last edited:
We didn't have any issue in the parks but driving from Miami was tragic! There were buckets with wipers all over the place so you could stop to clean your windshield so if you're driving be prepared. I think Disney does a great job minimizing bugs in general.

I was so relieved that love bugs reminded me of lightning bugs b/c lightning bugs are the one bug my brain considers non-threatening. So I just act like they are lightning bugs & I don’t mind them landing on me occasionally until I gently blow them away. Of course, I guess it’s more like a double-headed lightning bug since they are “connected” flying together. But I didn’t mind them thank goodness. I hope you feel the same. Good luck!

Plus there’s no way to accurately predict when they will show up. I have seen them start as early as April and as late as June.

They tend to swarm around light colored things, especially white. I was there during a bad fall outbreak and anything white was just covered with them.

Well today they are the worst that I’ve ever seen them; they are everywhere making it hard to sit at the pool, have food outside, or even walk with getting hit in the head by them. The walks, outdoor chairs, etc are covered.

They seemed to have arrived with the humidity today; earlier in the week they were here but not annoying.

The worst thing about love bugs is the potential damage they can do to the paint on your vehicle if you don't get them off soon after hitting them.

I only remember them being a problem when driving. Yes, lots of washer fluid and yes, be careful of paint. I don't really recall them being any issue (or even noticing them) when walking around the parks or resorts.

We were there Easter week. I was surprised to see them already. Not a lot of them, but a few every once in awhile. Seemed a little earlier than I expected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter