LOST POINTS - Cancelled trip last week of June, due to COVID and Parks not being open: Disney will not give back points

Is there something that changed that we aren’t being made aware of?

APR 2020 use year.
WDW robbed us of 144 points, that can not be banked to 2021. At this point, I would strongly recommend that NO ONE gets involved in a DVC Contract. We may very well ditch ours.

You have until March 31, 2021 to book something, yes? Or is there another detail we are missing?

I also if the OP was advised to cancel or did so under their own volition.

For better or worse, there are so many intricacies with DVC rules, it’s not as simple as cancelling a hotel reservation.

...just rent out your points for $12-14 range, those deals are being scooped up like hot cakes. That's a profit over annual maint fees, so please don't complain too much. If you're AUG use year, still alot of July dates renters are looking for and if you are SEPT use year, well geez you have July / Aug renters that are knocking on your door. Go make that $money$

I just spoke to Member Services today on the OP exact issue and they told me that if the parks are closed, you get your points back in the original use year - during that 3 week period of park closure. Did I get incorrect information?

I just spoke to Member Services today on the OP exact issue and they told me that if the parks are closed, you get your points back in the original use year - during that 3 week period of park closure. Did I get incorrect information?

You can cancel and the points go back in your account, without holding if you cancel less than 31 days, since they are waiving it.

But, if the resorts are open, even if parks are not, the points are not eligible for any of the exception rules for late banking or 2018 banked points to be extended.

However, they will restore borrowed points back to original UY.

So my points are from the Aug 2019 use year. So they were set to expire Aug 2020. I cancelled the reservation before I knew they would be open. We have family in Florida and they insisted and persuaded us that maybe we didn’t want to be Disney’s Guinea Pigs and that a weeks vacation was not worth our lives. Having eventually given into that, we decided, as a family, it would best to skip this summer.

So, at the end of April, we cancelled our trip. The tough thing is that they open on the 22nd and our trip was to begin just days later. I ask the Disney Agent is there anyway we can bank the points or extend them, she said you have to wait until we know if the resorts will be open or not. i called this past weekend and, since they will be open and we are past our normal banking window, our only option would be to transfer them into RCI, because they will be open.

i don’t know, my kids are getting older and now I’m simply mad at Disney now. Maybe it’s just time to move on from Disney. i tend to hold a grudge, I understand the rules, but these are unique circumstances and a good company would not just hold the rules hard and fast. This situation has really ruined the good image my heart had for Disney. i Knew them to be better than this, and treat people better. This no exception during an exceptional time, is unforgivable, and I will likely sell my contracts by the end of the year.

Thanks for everyone feedback.

Last edited:
So my points are from the Aug 2019 use year. So they were set to expire Aug 2020. I cancelled the reservation before I knew they would be open. We have family in Florida and they insisted and persuaded us that maybe we didn’t want to be Disney’s Guinea Pigs and that a weeks vacation was not worth our lives. Having eventually given into that, we decided, as a family, it would best to skip this summer.

So, at the end of April, we cancelled our trip. The tough thing is that they open on the 22nd and our trip was to begin just days later. I ask the Disney Agent is there anyway we can bank the points or extend them, she said you have to wait until we know if the resorts will be open or not. i called this past weekend and, since they will be open and we are past our normal banking window, our only option would be to transfer them into RCI, because they will be open.

i don’t know, my kids are getting older and now I’m simply mad at Disney now. Maybe it’s just time to move on from Disney. i tend to hold a grudge, I understand the rules, but these are unique circumstances and a good company would not just hold the rules hard and fast. This situation has really ruined the good image my heart had for Disney. i Knew them to be better than this, and treat people better. This no exception during an exceptional time, is unforgivable, and I will likely sell my contracts by the end of the year.

Thanks for everyone feedback.

Just to add, this isn’t Disney. This is a timeshare and real estate ownership. There is no way to make that many rule changes and keep everything in balance.

Sorry it isn’t working out for you.

APR 2020 use year.
WDW robbed us of 144 points, that can not be banked to 2021. At this point, I would strongly recommend that NO ONE gets involved in a DVC Contract. We may very well ditch ours.
Thank you @Maistre Gracey for the PM you sent me which is why I am not responding to this post.

I am confused, Your April 2020 UY points are still bankable. The window does not close until November 30th, 2020.

If they were April 2019 UY points from a canceled March trip, they are allowing those to be moved and should be at end of week.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Disney Hotels open June 22 but the parks do not open until July 11. I cancelled my DVC reservation for June 25-July 4 because of the parks being closed and concern over COVID. I was advised by Member services this weekend that they would not give my points back and that I can not bank them. They said the Hotel is Open on those days and since you cancelled your reservation you are out of luck and loose your points. This is really not fair, if the parks are not open, why would I go there and stay at the hotel. I was told that that was their policy.

What Disney did to me as a member on this issue, is simply not right. I have been a DVC member since 2007, I own 3 contracts. My family has spent thousands of dollars visiting their parks and hotels over the years and this is how they treat their members. I am so mad about this issue, I am nearly to the point of being done with Disney and my DVC.

Does anyone have any suggestion on who or where I should contact to give Disney one last chance to make this right?

Why did you sign 3 contracts without reading them?

In the original post, OP states she was told by Disney that she can’t bank her cancelled points. Maybe she is going to lose them because they expire before the parks open.
You can't bank holding points.

I am a loyal Disney fan. But the magic is gone. I don’t say this because of coved. I say this because Disney canceled our trip and than told us our points are gone. Yup that’s right' the points we booked for this summers trip “that they canceled “ that where banked in 2019 and used for this summer are gone. We understood the cancellation but they would not allow us to move the points to a next summer June trip, which is all we asked. Instead they said we would have to use them by February in this school year. We have kids and they have already missed to much school so no. So we will lose those points and thats their words not mine “we are sol”. They lady at Dvc said that it’s wrong but they have no option. So I guess the new ceo who said to “lead by example” means lead by greed and causing you loyal fans financial harm. So yes the points will lose value because they don’t value you or I as loyal family but as a pay check.

APR 2020 use year.

If they are April 2020 points then you have until November 30, 2020 to bank them just the same as normal.

I am a loyal Disney fan. But the magic is gone. I don’t say this because of coved. I say this because Disney canceled our trip and than told us our points are gone. Yup that’s right' the points we booked for this summers trip “that they canceled “ that where banked in 2019 and used for this summer are gone. We understood the cancellation but they would not allow us to move the points to a next summer June trip, which is all we asked. Instead they said we would have to use them by February in this school year. We have kids and they have already missed to much school so no. So we will lose those points and thats their words not mine “we are sol”. They lady at Dvc said that it’s wrong but they have no option. So I guess the new ceo who said to “lead by example” means lead by greed and causing you loyal fans financial harm. So yes the points will lose value because they don’t value you or I as loyal family but as a pay check.

I am sorry it is not working out for you, but you own a timeshare and are not a guest of Disney.

There are laws and the system for points works the way it is, It sounds like they are there for your use, and you still have plenty of time left on them.

I get that traveling before they expire may not be possible, but that is how the points work.

Sorry this whole situation has ruined your vacation. I’ve had a few messed up plans myself. (I’m looking at you Star Wars race among others) If you can’t make the timing work for you, you could rent them out to someone who can make that time work and you’ll easily cover the cost of the points.

I understand your point about time but I didn’t cancel. They canceled are two week trip. As for time your correct but we have kids and with the schools closed for so long I feel taking them out would not be the best idea. They canceled not me. The burden of doing the right thing is in their court not mine. I will be a bitter guest till I don’t.

I understand your point about time but I didn’t cancel. They canceled are two week trip. As for time your correct but we have kids and with the schools closed for so long I feel taking them out would not be the best idea. They canceled not me. The burden of doing the right thing is in their court not mine. I will be a bitter guest till I don’t.

DVCM, who we hire to manage the system, made the decision to close the resorts legally on your behalf as an owner, It is all in your contract. So, based on what you signed when you bought, you agreed to the system and how it works, even when emergencies happen and you lose the right to use the property.

Again, I am very sorry you are caught up in this and I know it’s a disappointment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter