• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lost and Found sippy cups get thrown away?!

Hope Soda

Mouseketeer
My son's sippy cup fell out of the stroller while we were waiting for mobile order. I retraced our steps all the way to the last time I saw it and back. Mobile ordering people then told me they found it and took it to lost and found across the path. I went there and was told it would have been trashed because it's considered perishable. It's just water! So I guess we're heading out after lunch.

Meanwhile, hubby's getting unsolicited parenting advice from a nearby lady and he is not taking it well.

At least we had a good morning...

Sounds like a rough morning. I have a toddler and we're visiting Disney next week...I'm sure we're going to hit all kinds of unexpected bumps too!

Instead of heading out, you could always try looking through a gift shop first to see if they might have something for sale that could work as a replacement? It might not be the cheapest option, but a couple dollars to save your day could be a worthy investment.

Sounds like a rough morning. I have a toddler and we're visiting Disney next week...I'm sure we're going to hit all kinds of unexpected bumps too!

Instead of heading out, you could always try looking through a gift shop first to see if they might have something for sale that could work as a replacement? It might not be the cheapest option, but a couple dollars to save your day could be a worthy investment.
Or the baby center. They sell some random baby necessities.

Or, can the child drink from a straw? You can get ice water at any counter service place and I think they at least have paper straws.

My son's sippy cup fell out of the stroller while we were waiting for mobile order. I retraced our steps all the way to the last time I saw it and back. Mobile ordering people then told me they found it and took it to lost and found across the path. I went there and was told it would have been trashed because it's considered perishable. It's just water! So I guess we're heading out after lunch.

Meanwhile, hubby's getting unsolicited parenting advice from a nearby lady and he is not taking it well.

At least we had a good morning...
it would be perishable in how can you tell your cup from a line of 6 of same cup? make sure your name is on cup, some way to tell yours from all the others. same is true at small park I work at. we are main stand, we keep cups lined up on half wall for the day but they all go in trash and end of day unless owner can prove it is theirs ie it doesnt look like all the others

always have more than one with you. mark it so it can be determined to be yours and leave at home any cups that you just cant loose

I get throwing away cups at the end of the day. But I wasn't far behind this one. In the time it took for me to pick up our mobile order, sit down, and run back out to find it, a cast member took it to lost and found (she didn't know they would throw it away and was excited to be able to tell me she found it and it was across the path) where it was, apparently, promptly trashed.

We do have back up cups, but we don't take more than one into the park at once. Our day wasn't ruined or anything. I am just surprised and frustrated that they just immediately toss it away. And I don't think it's likely there would have been another one exactly like ours and we could have easily identified it.

Now I know not to waste my time looking for lost cups/bottles in the future.

it would be perishable in how can you tell your cup from a line of 6 of same cup? make sure your name is on cup, some way to tell yours from all the others. same is true at small park I work at. we are main stand, we keep cups lined up on half wall for the day but they all go in trash and end of day unless owner can prove it is theirs ie it doesnt look like all the others

Ew, a bunch of used cups (garbage) lined up in where, exactly? A half wall that the guests can see?

I get throwing away cups at the end of the day. But I wasn't far behind this one. In the time it took for me to pick up our mobile order, sit down, and run back out to find it, a cast member took it to lost and found (she didn't know they would throw it away and was excited to be able to tell me she found it and it was across the path) where it was, apparently, promptly trashed.

We do have back up cups, but we don't take more than one into the park at once. Our day wasn't ruined or anything. I am just surprised and frustrated that they just immediately toss it away. And I don't think it's likely there would have been another one exactly like ours and we could have easily identified it.

Now I know not to waste my time looking for lost cups/bottles in the future.

If they kept all the crap people lose in the parks, there'd be no room (and a huge health hazard) for CMs to work.

Sounds like you had quite the morning. But there was no other way for the kid to have a drink? How about out of a bottle of water? Or as someone else mentioned, a straw?

I can understand why they wouldn’t want to keep the cup around all day or even for more than two hours in case there is milk in them, but I don’t get why they wouldn’t wait at least a little bit instead of immediately throwing them away.

I can understand why they wouldn’t want to keep the cup around all day or even for more than two hours in case there is milk in them, but I don’t get why they wouldn’t wait at least a little bit instead of immediately throwing them away.

Maybe because it wouldn't be considered clean? And there would always be some nutter who claimed their kid became sick and blame Disney for it.

Ew, a bunch of used cups (garbage) lined up in where, exactly? A half wall that the guests can see?

If they kept all the crap people lose in the parks, there'd be no room (and a huge health hazard) for CMs to work.

Sounds like you had quite the morning. But there was no other way for the kid to have a drink? How about out of a bottle of water? Or as someone else mentioned, a straw?
yes in hopes that the parents come back like this one did, has only happened twice in 10 seasons that I have worked granted not there every day but that is how few return for them. plus the way some kids even young ones are watched how do you know some other child hasn't picked up and drank from. yes I have seen happen

how can Disney prove it hasn't been used by another child? even in the short time, then your child gets sick. Disney cant prove nothing happened to your cup

I don't feel as though my tone was accurately conveyed, and that I am being viewed as a big whiner. We had a great morning in the park. We did both (new) star wars rides, Slinky Dog, and Toy Story Mania all before lunch (that may not seem impressive, but it's pretty good considering we did rider swaps at all but Mania, as well).

I am not angry with Disney, just surprised. Clearly, the cast member who took the cup to lost and found, then was excited about reuniting my kid with his cup, also didn't expect it would be thrown away immediately, so I don't see how it's such an unreasonable expectation on my part that it would be there when she told me it would.

We did get some water in him via cup. I asked for a cup of water with a straw, but they did not give me a straw. Again, not mad about this either. Honestly, he just chews through the paper straws most of the time anyway. Kid grabbed the cup, yanked it away, and dumped it all over himself. We changed him and left shortly after.

The most frustrating part of all of this was probably the lady getting on my husband's nerves because the baby wanted his sippy cup and he was obviously a very bad dad to have a crying baby. Followed maybe by people implying my surprise is unreasonable... That's kind of annoying. I wasn't trying to start a debate.

About the germs... How do I know another kid didn't use his cup when we leave it in the stroller during a ride? We don't know. But we do know that all of the kids at Disney go around touching nearly everything, including most of their orifices, all day long. And that many adults and kids leave the bathroom without washing their hands and touch all the things. If I were going to freak out about all of the germs that might be at Disney, I may as well just stay home.

Ugh, I guess Disney takes drinks/ perishable items left unattended seriously. We once were at Disneyland and had just purchased a soft drink with a closed off top. Our son saw that the carousel was empty, so we decided to ride. A ride operator said no drinks on the ride. So we asked if we could leave it by the railing on the ground, she only said it could end up being thrown away. After only a few go arounds, we got off and noticed the drink was gone. Even more upsetting was that the drink wasn’t even in the small trash bin next to it. She either called someone to throw it away elsewhere or took it upon herself to take it to a different trash can. She looked at us and said sorry when we hopped off the ride. Needless to say, we weren’t happy.

Maybe because it wouldn't be considered clean? And there would always be some nutter who claimed their kid became sick and blame Disney for it.
Ugh, I guess Disney takes drinks/ perishable items left unattended seriously. We once were at Disneyland and had just purchased a soft drink with a closed off top. Our son saw that the carousel was empty, so we decided to ride. A ride operator said no drinks on the ride. So we asked if we could leave it by the railing on the ground, she only said it could end up being thrown away. After only a few go arounds, we got off and noticed the drink was gone. Even more upsetting was that the drink wasn’t even in the small trash bin next to it. She either called someone to throw it away elsewhere or took it upon herself to take it to a different trash can. She looked at us and said sorry when we hopped off the ride. Needless to say, we weren’t happy.
could have easily been a cleaning CM not the Ride CM. Ride CM most likely cant call another department that quick.

could have easily been a cleaning CM not the Ride CM. Ride CM most likely cant call another department that quick.
Yep, it happened so quickly that it made us wonder. It could have easily been put in the small plastic trash can that was right next to it, which by the way had trash in it, but it wasn’t in there, it just disappeared. The ride operator knew what happened to it, or else she wouldn’t have said sorry before we even noticed it was gone.

Keeping all the “crap” people lose in the park for a long time might be unreasonable, but keeping something for an hour, or a day, is certainly not. You seem strangely annoyed that the OP was disappointed that her reusable child’s cup was tossed in the garbage immediately after someone sent it to lost and found.
If I dropped my hydroflask water bottle in the park I would be pretty upset if the lost and found CM’s immediately threw it in the trash when someone turned it in. Sure I can survive. But it’s still surprising and frustrating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter