Losing my patience... should I just move on?

We will definitely be swapping out a WDW trip for UO once Epic Universe opens. It never made sense to add a few Universal days because we’d be replacing the cheapest last days of WDW for full priced UO days. It felt worth it flying down to WDW for a week but didn’t seem like UO had enough to do the same. Once EU opens, UO will look much more enticing between the newer waterpark and 3 parks, one of which will be a state of the art set-up PLUS have Nintendoland and classic monsters, etc.

Total game changer and I’m sure we’re not alone.

Disney DOES care about their customers, and doesn't want wall-to-wall crowds with 3 hour waits for all rides. That's why Disney stopped season pass sales, which helps weekend crowds, and also put in the reservation system which helps control the crowds.

Universal isn't a destination like Disney is. They aren't being slammed like Disney post-covid. Once Disney feels like they aren't being slammed anymore, they'll loosen the restrictions. Probably not until spring 2023 at the earliest.

Universal only cares about the dollar. Not the customers. They have 2 parks which can be done in 1 day, a lot less entertainment - yet ticket prices are the same as Disney. Their fast passes cost 10-20x what Disney's do. Universal is just Disney-lite at the same prices. If you like that, you do you.
Maybe in Disneyland but WDW is not 80% AP guests. While FL residents make up most of the AP holders in WDW DVC and some out of state residents could buy them for a long trip or to use for several trips. Chapek has clearly stated that they make less money off of AP holder on a daily basis, so he doesn’t care or want them. When a recession hits he will be begging for them, but they will all be at universal or other locations.

When a recession hits he will be begging for them, but they will all be at universal or other locations.
You might think that but as soon as AP sales open up, people will be clamoring to buy them again. Just look at how many people are renewing just because they're concerned that if they don't, they won't get the chance to ever have an AP again.

Disney DOES care about their customers, and doesn't want wall-to-wall crowds with 3 hour waits for all rides. That's why Disney stopped season pass sales, which helps weekend crowds, and also put in the reservation system which helps control the crowds.

Universal isn't a destination like Disney is. They aren't being slammed like Disney post-covid. Once Disney feels like they aren't being slammed anymore, they'll loosen the restrictions. Probably not until spring 2023 at the earliest.

Universal only cares about the dollar. Not the customers. They have 2 parks which can be done in 1 day, a lot less entertainment - yet ticket prices are the same as Disney. Their fast passes cost 10-20x what Disney's do. Universal is just Disney-lite at the same prices. If you like that, you do you.
Have you been to WDW lately? It is, in fact, wall to wall crowds. And they don't care. They simply want you to pay more to skip "a few" of the wall to wall crowds. They like it this way.

I really think when nintendo land drops it will be bigger than Harry Potter.

I'm sad the annual pass isn't back as well, since we are taking three trips to Florida within a year due to extra flight credit, etc. As a result we decided to do Disney for just one trip, and planning to do Universal for the other one or two, even though we are staying at a Disney resort. Possible we may get the Universal annual pass and use that for the third trip or do Sea World/Legoland/Busch Gardens instead.

I very much disagree. Universal has a problem of just creating copies of attractions and lands for their different parks.

By the time Nintendo opens in FL both the CA and the Japan versions will have been open for quite some time and the interest will be gone.

Universal needs to create variety in their attractions as those are always the winners. (Velocicoaster/Hulk/Rip Ride)

Former Disney AP holders from out of state - we are new Universal Passholdlers with two trips planned! We were tired and frustrated by the new "charge more for less" mantra. We just had a great week in June with Seaworld parks and Discovery Cove - and now will be spending some time at Universal. We're not directly comparing the "new" with Disney - but enjoying new experiences. It feels good to move on.
And I don't believe Disney ever had the notion to charge more to lower the crowds...I think they are just plain and simple happy to charge more. Period. They know they will get it.

You might think that but as soon as AP sales open up, people will be clamoring to buy them again. Just look at how many people are renewing just because they're concerned that if they don't, they won't get the chance to ever have an AP again.
So, how many people are renewing that aren't a member of this Disney fan site or a facebook group? I don't think there are as many people as you may think "clamoring" to buy APs outside of this bubble. I don't have evidence on the numbers, but do you?

Epic Universe will put Disney on their heels for sure. Rumored LOTRs land next to the new Harry Potter expansion, coupled with Nintendo land... it is gonna be a home run!
I know LOTR has been rumored to come to Universal for a long time but if Epic Universe had Nintendo AND a Middle Earth land I would never visit HS ever again. Not even joking.
I very much disagree. Universal has a problem of just creating copies of attractions and lands for their different parks.

By the time Nintendo opens in FL both the CA and the Japan versions will have been open for quite some time and the interest will be gone.

Universal needs to create variety in their attractions as those are always the winners. (Velocicoaster/Hulk/Rip Ride)
I agree with your last sentence but disagree with the bolded portion. I don't think the interest will be gone. If anything, Nintendo coming to Universal Orlando will be HUGE. US citizens cannot go to Japan right now due to tourism still being banned and Universal Hollywood is not convenient to go to for a lot of people (me being one of them since I live on the other side of the country). Nintendo is a MASSIVE IP that appeals to both kids and adults. It'll be a slam dunk when it comes to Orlando, especially if they add Pokemon in the future.

So, how many people are renewing that aren't a member of this Disney fan site or a facebook group? I don't think there are as many people as you may think "clamoring" to buy APs outside of this bubble. I don't have evidence on the numbers, but do you?
I have 3 crickets that are chirping that it will be a stampede when AP sales renew. A fourth cricket isn't saying anything, but I think it might be dead.

I guess we will have to see what happens to know for sure.

I just think it opens up to a huge group they don't currently have (parents of young kids, maybe <10 that aren't really old enough to be into Harry Potter) that mostly would focus on WDW right now. I think mario is as popular (or more) as any of the disney characters. The markup on many sold out items (plushes, amiibos, old games, systems, etc) for nintendo shows the interest there.

Universal will always have trouble appealing to that market in the way Disney does but I think nintendo world will tap into it.

"Disney doesn't want wall to wall crowds" Really? Have you been to Disney in the past year? I have been several times and all but one visit was it not packed! To the point where we left the parks due to the crowds! Seeing the crowds make me think the park reservations are a joke. Planning a trip is no longer fun. Genie+ is horrible. We used it once... getting up at 6:45am every day, while on VACATION, isn't fun... when especially at 7am you get a ride time of 3pm! Definitely getting less than we used to as DVC and AP's. Will we still go? Yep... to hang out at the resort, Disney Springs and pop in to Epcot.

No numbers here either, although personally, I would've loved for them to open up AP's to out of state guests last week. I would've been standing in line to convert my grandson's ticket. I activated my AP that I bought several years ago (bargain basement price of $799 with photopass) and I'll renew ever year. We're back at our regular multiple trips a year and individual trip tickets are eating me up. We just got back, going again in September for both a pre and post cruise trip, then at least 2 more trips before my pass will come up for renewal. Even at the new price, with the shopping, food and room discounts, I will save a lot of money. Of course I'd save more if I didn't go so often....:)

Past history with anything Disney sells tells me people will absolutely be clamoring to buy AP's- mostly local folks, but there are a lot of non-locals who love them as well. Despite all the naysayers, Disney seems to be doing just fine if park levels and resort availability is any indication.

Have you been to WDW lately? It is, in fact, wall to wall crowds. And they don't care. They simply want you to pay more to skip "a few" of the wall to wall crowds. They like it this way.
I was there in 2008 and 2013, and there were wall-to-wall crowds in many places. It's always been that way.

"Disney doesn't need to throw IP into every new attraction!"

"When universal opens attractions with all this new IP, Disney is really going to be hurting!"

:confused3

I don't really have a point, other than to illustrate the dichotomy among the theme park audience. Disney can and should continue to build up its parks. There are repercussions for attempting to coast. But Disney has a built-in audience that will never go away. Some leave, others take their place. If attendance / hotel occupancy lags, they'll discount. The cycle continues.

"Disney doesn't want wall to wall crowds" Really? Have you been to Disney in the past year? I have been several times and all but one visit was it not packed! To the point where we left the parks due to the crowds! Seeing the crowds make me think the park reservations are a joke.
If they're using Park Pass to restrict attendance, it stands to reason that crowds would be even larger without it.

"When universal opens attractions with all this new IP, Disney is really going to be hurting!"

This, the hypocrisy is unreal. Might be more nuanced to say "Disney is using IPs that don't appeal to me/ are not for me but for younger generations" or "Disney's preferred ride types are not appealing to me" but of course we will never get that lvl of self awareness from Disney Parks biggest critics. So many 'Disney fans' that seem to hate Disney, it's beyond weird. Just go to Universal if that is your jam, you don't need to make a daily post about why you hate Disney.

I don't really have a point, other than to illustrate the dichotomy among the theme park audience. Disney can and should continue to build up its parks. There are repercussions for attempting to coast. But Disney has a built-in audience that will never go away. Some leave, others take their place. If attendance / hotel occupancy lags, they'll discount. The cycle continues.
I agree that Disney has an audience that is loyal to them and will go no matter what. I do plan on skipping WDW and going to Epic Universe when it opens but I know that someone will immediately take my place. I do think Nintendo will help Universal's attendance and is a good IP for them to utilize but realistically it won't majorly hurt Disney. Disney has brand nostalgia that is VERY strong with it's park-goers, myself included.

Epic Universe will put Disney on their heels for sure. Rumored LOTRs land next to the new Harry Potter expansion, coupled with Nintendo land... it is gonna be a home run!
hadn't heard the LOTR rumor. Last i heard it was nintendo, ministry of magic, how to train your dragon (bring us the show from beijing!), classic monsters and something else but not LOTR.

One thing I do hope for epic universe is more classic dark rides. I fear it might be all coaster or screens and its a shame because we love the UOR parks (including VB) but we don't go on a chunk of the rides because we don't like the design, or we find it too intense. They also desperately need some more kid and family friendly areas which I hope HTTYD does.

This, the hypocrisy is unreal. Might be more nuanced to say "Disney is using IPs that don't appeal to me/ are not for me but for younger generations" or "Disney's preferred ride types are not appealing to me" but of course we will never get that lvl of self awareness from Disney Parks biggest critics. So many 'Disney fans' that seem to hate Disney, it's beyond weird. Just go to Universal if that is your jam, you don't need to make a daily post about why you hate Disney.
It's not hypocrisy. Perhaps a level of nuance that you dont understand? Day 1 minute 1, Universal was built around IP. Disney was not. The Parks were built around themes and had original custom storylines and work done for them. See how Disney pillaged the parks IP in the aughts for movies, and not the other way around. Epcot has thematic stuff that has been diluted, rumor is that Animal Kingdom is next to get changed. In short its not usually the same people making those complaints, and even if it were you are omitting nuance.

Universal was always built around "ride the movies!" / "ride the IP!".

Nintendo World will still be huge. For sure will be differences between the Japan and Hollywood implementations. At bare minimum the Epic one is gonna have one additional coaster based around Donkey Kong (Universal has shown they excel at coasters) that Hollywood wont have due to space reasons. And people seem to be fine hyping Tron for Magic Kingdom even though China already has it. Some kind of Pokemon thing is a no brainer, but i dont think thats in the contract for Epic (at least not yet). The real concern in that park is How to Train Your Dragon is a pretty weak IP, and Harry Potter really needs another good movie or release to not weaken as an IP.

LOTR is not gonna happen. Even if they could get the rights un tangled (and good luck with that with Jeff Bezos hovering over and trying to buy everything around it), its just not gonna have legs as a land. What would you even put? The immersive environments arent like Harry Potter, sedate Shire location would be awesome Villa types hotels but awful to visit as a park guest. What do you put up that isnt just generic fantasy looking and makes it "LOTR" feeling? Very challenging to do. The juice aint worth the squeeze.

I was there in 2008 and 2013, and there were wall-to-wall crowds in many places. It's always been that way.
I disagree. I've been every year since 2005 (plus dozens of times in 80/90's). Most cases since 2005 - multiple times per year. My last trip in January - was literally the busiest I've ever seen it and that included one time when we went over NYE. I bought an AP before they stopped selling them back in the fall. I would have NEVER EVER bought had I known what the crowds/parks would be like. I'll never buy an AP again while park reservations and Genie + exists. I'll stick to resorts vacays (DVC) and visiting offsite attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter