Losing Magicbands?

Disneysince82

Mouseketeer
I had planned to get Magicbands (I really probably need to do more research if it they are needed) but I am seeing a lot lately about people losing them -- is this really common? I am seeing even with the little clips people put on them people are losing them. I would be purchasing 4 of them(2 adults 15 & 5 kids) should I look instead of those that put them into little holders vs wearing like a watch?

Bitbelt 12 pack (one of every... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010OX42WO?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Buy these before you buy the MagicBand+.

These work. They are a one piece (not a clip) silicone sleeve that stays put. We used them successfully all day at Disneyland. They are technically a TINY bit too small for MB+, which is actually a benefit as it keeps the bands secured really well. Once you have it on, you don't feel it at all.

But yes, without these the bands will pop off all day. The mechanism to keep them closed is very weak and the band material isn't as conforming as the old style magic bands. It's more of a stiff plastic that wants to return to its straight shape.

Universal gives these away for free for the Super Mario world bands. Because those fall off all day too (they are snap bracelet style but don't fasten closed). Disney should include them with bands also, since their clasp design is flawed.

Bitbelt 12 pack (one of every... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010OX42WO?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Buy these before you buy the MagicBand+.

These work. They are a one piece (not a clip) silicone sleeve that stays put. We used them successfully all day at Disneyland. They are technically a TINY bit too small for MB+, which is actually a benefit as it keeps the bands secured really well. Once you have it on, you don't feel it at all.

But yes, without these the bands will pop off all day. The mechanism to keep them closed is very weak and the band material isn't as conforming as the old style magic bands. It's more of a stiff plastic that wants to return to its straight shape.

Universal gives these away for free for the Super Mario world bands. Because those fall off all day too (they are snap bracelet style but don't fasten closed). Disney should include them with bands also, since their clasp design is flawed.
Thanks!!! I am buying them now, so I don't forget them last minute!

Thanks!!! I am buying them now, so I don't forget them last minute!

You're welcome! I learned about these here on the DIS a few weeks ago after I almost lost my brand new MB+ twice (and my son almost lost his once) in like a span of 4 hours at Disneyland after we bought them.

You're welcome! I learned about these here on the DIS a few weeks ago after I almost lost my brand new MB+ twice (and my son almost lost his once) in like a span of 4 hours at Disneyland after we bought them.
I could see all 4 of the ones we have gone by the 1st EOD and then just being angry -- so this will hopefully stop that!

I could see all 4 of the ones we have gone by the 1st EOD and then just being angry -- so this will hopefully stop that!

It will. If anything, these make it harder to take the bands off. They are not going to get caught on something and just fly off like they do without these straps.

Every time I almost lost my band was by simply taking my sling bag off my back. The strap would brush my wrist and POP went the band. It almost fell in a toilet the first time.

It will. If anything, these make it harder to take the bands off. They are not going to get caught on something and just fly off like they do without these straps.

Every time I almost lost my band was by simply taking my sling bag off my back. The strap would brush my wrist and POP went the band. It almost fell in a toilet the first time.
What is annoying is this is clearly a wide spread issue and they just haven't fixed -- or at least give out those little bands like they do at Universal. It is not like they are cheap or anything! When I looked up MB's most of the things I saw was about people losing them lol

You can find similar products on Etsy. And if you are DVC, you can stop at one of the kiosks at a WDW park and they'll give you two sliders (the kiosks at the resorts sometimes have different things like the lithos etc instead). Not sure if they do that at DL though.

The only time I have ever had a problem with a band coming off on a ride was the very FIRST GENERATION Magic Band. No issues with later generations or MB+.

We've had several dozen bands over who knows how many park days, and only ever had one band come off, one time. Unfortunately, it was on Soarin', so it took like 20 minutes for them to retrieve it, but that was the only time and the band wasn't lost, just dropped.

Ours do sometimes get loose without using sliders. Things where you can hit your wrist-- with bags, like DLgal said, or having the kids squirm in our arms, are when bands can pop off for us. We also use sliders for the kids because their wrists are so small (we could trim the bands a little tighter, I guess)

I haven't had an issue with mine popping off. Admittedly, I have a small wrist, and there's just not a set of holes that will keep the band tight on my wrist. That may be part of the reason I haven't had an issue. I have to fasten it all the way up to the kids setting. I don't use those band loop things, but they seem like a reasonable option for another level of safety.

We haven't had problems with them falling off, except for mine on Matterhorn. I must have knocked it against the inside of the ride vehicle when putting my seatbelt on and didn't realize it was off until I stood up to get off the ride. I was so thankful that I saw it because I would have been really bummed. We have the black Disneyland one that says "Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy".

One thing that helps a lot is if you trim the band down to fit your wrist better. The bands are pretty huge so I can almost fit the child size outline on them, and I don't have small wrists. Without the extra material it stays on pretty well.

I've never had mine pop off, but I've always worried about that happening. It's a poorly thought-out system (unless the goal is to sell more Magic Bands, ha ha). I appreciate the link to those silicone slides--I ordered some last night.

Sliders work - DVC kiosks have them typically.

Ours tend to fall off only when bumped into things/people or when wearing long sleeves/jackets. Typically happens when exiting rides which is the most annoying time to have it happen.

I haven't had an issue with mine popping off. Admittedly, I have a small wrist, and there's just not a set of holes that will keep the band tight on my wrist. That may be part of the reason I haven't had an issue. I have to fasten it all the way up to the kids setting. I don't use those band loop things, but they seem like a reasonable option for another level of safety.

This is WHY my MB+ popped off so often. I have a tiny wrist and the MB+ puck is so large that the ends stick way out, even though it is fastened on the kids holes, basically. It's the puck end that kept catching on my bag as I removed it.

This is WHY my MB+ popped off so often. I have a tiny wrist and the MB+ puck is so large that the ends stick way out, even though it is fastened on the kids holes, basically. It's the puck end that kept catching on my bag as I removed it.

So do you think this is more of a problem with just MB+ due to the thicker puck? I've had MB and MB2, both cut down to 'kid size' for my tiny wrist and never had them pop off.

FWIW DH's are 'He-Man size' and he's never had a problem either.

For $10 I'm going to order the Bitbelts anyway, better safe than sorry. A 12 pack is overkill for the two of us, but I'm sure I can find other uses for them.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter