Looking to maybe join Disney Vacation Club

What should we do about Disney Vacation Club?

• Go Blue or Go Home - Buy 150 Direct at Copper Creek then more resale

Votes: 40 37.7%
  • White Card Christmas - Buy 150-350 Resale at Copper Creek

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • Big Save - Buy 150-350 at Saratoga Springs (resale or direct)

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Meet me at the Rubik's Cube Stairwell - Keep staying at All Stars and Pop

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Do Your Research! - You clearly haven't done enough research

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Disney Vacation Club has too Many Acronyms - Enough said

Votes: 5 4.7%

• Total voters
Thanks again everyone!

I have another question - do you think it is a good idea to get a Disney Visa card and pay for the points that way rather than cash or other financing? I'm hopeful you get 6 months of 0% interest when buying points. The website says "select Disney vacation packages" for the 0%. I'd also get a $300 statement credit and Reward Dollars.

I would then pay it off over the course of the 6 months.
I used my 2% cash back and broke it up into 4 payments. Much better than 6 months interest free. Just read the rest of the thread. It might be to late.

Hi everyone!

We did not get a December Use Year, unfortunately. They did not have any in inventory.

So we bought 250 points at Copper Creek with an October Use Year. So we went even bigger! My original plan was to do 150 points direct and another 100 or so resale. However, 250 points wasn’t much more expensive than my original plan with the incentive and the perks of playing with the Disney card. So I just did the 250 to be done with it.

I tried to split the contract in two and get membership level contracts but they wouldn’t let me. I’m not sure if I pushed it if it would have made a difference.

Finally, we have our first stay December 17-21 at a Riviera Studio!

We are waiting for the contact to be sent and then we will be all set.

Thanks for all the great advice and wisdom! We are very excited to join the Club!
Did you get a fixed week?

Just going back to some of the first posts- Never spend thousands more simply for a blue card. That makes no sense, you can’t even buy an annual pass now. The meagre discounts, whilst welcome, will never be worth a fraction of that extra money you spent (put that in stocks and you will probably make a lot of money on that long term, which dwarfs any 10% food, 20% merch discounts you would receive).

Just going back to some of the first posts- Never spend thousands more simply for a blue card. That makes no sense, you can’t even buy an annual pass now. The meagre discounts, whilst welcome, will never be worth a fraction of that extra money you spent (put that in stocks and you will probably make a lot of money on that long term, which dwarfs any 10% food, 20% merch discounts you would receive).

I considered all of this and am still okay with the decision.

I’m concerned they wouldn’t let you break it up into smaller contracts if that’s what you wanted.
I would have walked. Selling smaller contracts is so much easier. I know they’ve broken it up into small contracts before when asking. I know people who bought it in much smaller chunks.

I’m concerned they wouldn’t let you break it up into smaller contracts if that’s what you wanted.

The first one has to be 150 as that is the minimum. They have been doing that for awhile now. Beyond the 150, they will all it.

The first one has to be 150 as that is the minimum. They have been doing that for awhile now. Beyond the 150, they will all it.
This is true. We were thinking of buying a new use year with our 150 point add on this summer but were told it all had to be one contract; that’s why we opted to keep our current UY and split it into two equal contracts instead.

This is a good reason to buy resale first with the use year that you want then add on direct with better member pricing and for the ability to breakdown into smaller contracts.

But it’s not as much about the discounts as it is the ability to use the direct points at Riviera and other new resorts down the line.

But it’s not as much about the discounts as it is the ability to use the direct points at Riviera and other new resorts down the line.
That’s a better reason to buy direct- maybe. My post was - Don’t buy for a blue card. I wasn’t commenting on whether to buy for another reason. I was really just repeating what Disney (DVD) say themselves (see below).
Still we see people buying for the FOMO of the ‘Blue Card’. I was pointing out you can’t even get an annual pass, so your blue card benefits consist of very little. People need to read the disclaimer they sign when buying direct (and I own some direct and have the blue card) which is along the lines of “I agree I am not buying for perks” even though said perks are a large part of the push in advertising etc to buy direct. Disney have you sign such a disclaimer for a reason. Then people STILL say they bought for the perks ( blue card) some seemingly oblivious to what they signed.
It makes no sense.

Hi everyone!

We did not get a December Use Year, unfortunately. They did not have any in inventory.

So we bought 250 points at Copper Creek with an October Use Year. So we went even bigger! My original plan was to do 150 points direct and another 100 or so resale. However, 250 points wasn’t much more expensive than my original plan with the incentive and the perks of playing with the Disney card. So I just did the 250 to be done with it.

I tried to split the contract in two and get membership level contracts but they wouldn’t let me. I’m not sure if I pushed it if it would have made a difference.

Finally, we have our first stay December 17-21 at a Riviera Studio!

We are waiting for the contact to be sent and then we will be all set.

Thanks for all the great advice and wisdom! We are very excited to join the Club!

Congratulations!! That's so exciting :)

I would say it’s more about the “potential” to use direct points at Riviera and other new resorts.

Direct points are still subject to the same 7 month booking availability, just at more resorts.

It often seems direct points are sold, or talked about here as if they guarantee the ability to book at all resorts which they do not.

To me it’s an expensive choice over resale for merely the potential to book a small amount of extra resorts, including only one right now.

You did your research, went in eyes wide open, and decided on direct vs resale. Others may have done differently and many also made the same decision. Enjoy DVC. Did you find R available or did direct buying get you the room? If so, that’s a nice bonus.
Also buy your tickets ASAP. Some dates near xmas do not have sales for tickets. Up your to ticket start date to earlier (say 12/15) if your end usage falls into the no sales date. Also make park reservations ASAP.

Last edited:
You did your research, went in eyes wide open, and decided on direct vs resale. Others may have done differently and many also made the same decision. Enjoy DVC. Did you find R available or did direct buying get you the room? If so, that’s a nice bonus.
Also buy your tickets ASAP. Some dates near xmas do not have sales for tickets. Up your to ticket start date to earlier (say 12/15) if your end usage falls into the no sales date. Also make park reservations ASAP.

Thanks!
My guide got the room. It wasn’t showing as available. So that was a nice perk. We hadn’t even planned on going next month!

We are only going to Magic Kingdom on that Sunday and have the reservation. We plan on spending the other days exploring the DVC resorts (i.e., our new “home”). If there is anything available when we are there and decide to we want to do another park we will do that.

We also have already booked three nights at CCV and one at BLT in late June. We’ve pre-planned! ;-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter