Looking more and more likely we have to cancel March Break trip!

Aladora

DIS Veteran
Ugh, I could just cry! We have a big 50th birthday trip planned for March, we rented points from someone for a 2 bedroom suite at the Villas at the Grand California and given the state of the world right now, I think we may have to cancel the whole thing! :sad:

The only good news is that I have not booked anything except the suite but the bad news is that I don't think the reservation can be cancelled so we might be out a fair bit of $$$.

Just venting here, I know many here can sympathize with me. This will be the 3rd birthday in a row that has been messed with because of the situation going on right now.

we cancelled our March break trip (moved to May, different trip entirely) and I still wish we could just go away! Especially after all the cold and snow fall this week :)

Sorry you are thinking of cancelling, it's a tough decision for sure.

It sucks so bad to cancel....but I agree, give it a bit more time. We are going Feb 12 to Florida, very much looking forward to it. Went to Florida over the Christmas Break, got that first trip under our belts since the pandemic and feel a little better about going. We felt good about being able to keep ourselves as safe as possible and worse case scenario were prepared to spend some extra time in Florida if we had to :-)

Well, okay then...I just had a long conversation with my husband and he said that he does NOT want to cancel the trip! Both adults are boosted and we anticipate our son getting his booster before the trip so we unless things go REALLY sideways over the next 8 weeks, we are back on!

We are still holding out hope for the first week of March.. as others have said, a lot can change in the course of a month+ ! My daughters just got their second doses yesterday which made me feel just a teensy bit more optimistic.

We cancelled our trip for the end of Feb/beginning of March and moved it to August. But we had final payment due in 5 days, and less time for things to change before we leave. I was honestly finding the whole thing stressful, so for me it was the right choice, even though I am sad about it.

I'm glad you guys decided it's back on, especially if you are at a point where you can't get any money back for your accommodation, you may as well hold out and see how things go!

It's "funny" as reading your initial post, and then your second post and you sound just like us. I had given up on our March break trip (cruise for us) which is so disappointing so I know how you feel. Then tonight DH said lets hold out and see...so also back to a maybe. (For us, we can pay it off and cancel 48 hrs before). This is all such a rollercoaster isn't it?
The good thing that I see is that numbers are going down each day now, both in Florida and NY (for us). So hopefully by March things will be better. Hope it works out for you.

Well, okay then...I just had a long conversation with my husband and he said that he does NOT want to cancel the trip! Both adults are boosted and we anticipate our son getting his booster before the trip so we unless things go REALLY sideways over the next 8 weeks, we are back on!

Good call! It looks like California is desperately trying to avoid another economy-crippling shutdown, as are the other states that were most draconian the first time around. I honestly think your trip is going to be fine.

I'm not willing to throw in the towel yet, although we haven't booked anything. I'm thinking this is going to be a stay at a house with a pool vacation but that is okay. At least it is somewhere. Disney may need to wait until another time.

I'm not willing to throw in the towel yet, although we haven't booked anything. I'm thinking this is going to be a stay at a house with a pool vacation but that is okay. At least it is somewhere. Disney may need to wait until another time.

We've booked everything...OKV (through RCI exchange which shortly thereafter turned into a once in a lifetime opportunity for us), flights, seven day passes with park reservations....I'm going to be devastated if this situation evolves into another closure. We're vaxxed up AND caught this omicron, so I'm not afraid of the virus itself.

Ugh, I could just cry! We have a big 50th birthday trip planned for March, we rented points from someone for a 2 bedroom suite at the Villas at the Grand California and given the state of the world right now, I think we may have to cancel the whole thing! :sad:

The only good news is that I have not booked anything except the suite but the bad news is that I don't think the reservation can be cancelled so we might be out a fair bit of $$$.

Just venting here, I know many here can sympathize with me. This will be the 3rd birthday in a row that has been messed with because of the situation going on right now.

I don't blame you. Considering the US had well over a million new cases yesterday alone, and their 7 day average was something like 760,000 per day - yikes. Why wouldn't you get your money back on the suite? 2 months seems like plenty of notice to get a refund.

ETA: just saw you are going after all. Hope all goes well.

We’re in a similar situation. We’ve booked our dvc points for March so have about 3-4 weeks until we have to cancel. I’ve bought tickets (that can be modified ir cancelled) and airfare (that can be changed). We were just saying tonight, as long as restrictions don’t get worse here, we are going. We’ve done what we need to (boosted adults, double vaxed kids) here so it’s time to go! But it is still nerve wracking!

good luck! I hope it works out you can go. That we all can go!!

We’re in a similar situation. We’ve booked our dvc points for March so have about 3-4 weeks until we have to cancel. I’ve bought tickets (that can be modified ir cancelled) and airfare (that can be changed). We were just saying tonight, as long as restrictions don’t get worse here, we are going. We’ve done what we need to (boosted adults, double vaxed kids) here so it’s time to go! But it is still nerve wracking!

good luck! I hope it works out you can go. That we all can go!!
We are also booked on our DVC points .. I called member services yesterday to ask about purchasing the insurance they offer (turns out only for Americans). BUT she did say if we have to cancel within the 30 days due to travel restrictions, employer making you isolate after travel etc… they will make an exception and take the points out of holding. YMMV but that made me feel a bit better about not having to make an decision by Jan 31 (our 31 day deadline).

Similar situation here, but we are holding out. In our case it is our own villa anyway, already paid for. But I am holding off depositing it for exchange because we are still hoping to use it. Frankly at this point I have deposited so many weeks thanks to COVID that we have about 15 weeks worth of vacation banked with our exchange company already; I'm not going to miss one more and willing to write off the $1k in maintenance fees paid as a mental health treatment - the hope is keeping us going.
Otherwise not much risk to us though. We drive to Florida from Eastern Ontario, so there are no travel bookings and no car rental reservations to cancel. If we go, we'll buy any park tickets down there. DW is a teacher, so she has the time off if we go or not, and my work (hospital) will be glad to have me stay if things are still bad.
Really for us it's a no-brainer to just hold out hope. We were away March break 2 years ago when this whole thing broke out; hoping this March break will mark a symbolic end for us.

Similar situation here, but we are holding out. In our case it is our own villa anyway, already paid for. But I am holding off depositing it for exchange because we are still hoping to use it. Frankly at this point I have deposited so many weeks thanks to COVID that we have about 15 weeks worth of vacation banked with our exchange company already; I'm not going to miss one more and willing to write off the $1k in maintenance fees paid as a mental health treatment - the hope is keeping us going.
Otherwise not much risk to us though. We drive to Florida from Eastern Ontario, so there are no travel bookings and no car rental reservations to cancel. If we go, we'll buy any park tickets down there. DW is a teacher, so she has the time off if we go or not, and my work (hospital) will be glad to have me stay if things are still bad.
Really for us it's a no-brainer to just hold out hope. We were away March break 2 years ago when this whole thing broke out; hoping this March break will mark a symbolic end for us.
We also just snuck our March 2020 trip before the world shutdown - our timing could not have been better. I'm SO hoping our timing will be perfect again this March Break and we will be down there enjoying the sun.

Just remember that you can contract COVID just as easily at the supermarket or the Walmart as you can at WDW. I have been five times since 2020 and have not gotten sick on any of those trips. Most recent was Christmas week last year and the place was packed. Just take the standard precautions and you should be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter