Looking for Some Suggestions for Touring December 27 through 30

redsoxfan808

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

Love this board and have gained a lot of knowledge by reading the various threads. I’m seeking some suggestions for our December 27 through 30 visit.

First some quick details. Family of 3 with a 14 year old son (our older son won’t be joining us). We’ve been to Disneyland/DCA a number of times, including this same time period about 5 years ago. Will likely end up visiting the parks 2 or 3 times this trip. We’ll be park hopping.

I expect it to be crazy crowded and anticipate that there will likely be some level of park closures while we are there. The visits to the parks are not the main focus of this trip so we are not going with a preferred touring strategy (e.g., hitting rope drop). We will likely hit the parks mid morning (hopefully avoiding any park closures), leave the park after several hours, return later at night, and stay until closing (DCA and then Disneyland). We’ll just plan on going with the flow and take whatever is available to us with this approach.

I know the situation is less than ideal (busiest time of the year and not hitting rope drop). But, given this situation, are there any strategies to make lemon aid out of lemons? For example, during our mid morning trips I hope to be able to collect a few fast passes that we can use for our return visits at night (e.g., TOT, RSR, Space, Indy). Any thoughts on that? I’ll be checking the Disney app to see the return times for fastpasses and collect accordingly.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts! Happy holidays!

My number one recommendation is to focus on a positive attitude because you will be running in to a lot of crowds and long lines. My cousins came out a couple of years ago during the holiday week (it happens now and then with my various Texas cousins), and it was crowded ... and it rained. They took it in stride and laughed the whole time. I had a great time with them and took note that a positive attitude goes a long way to enjoy this time in the parks.

Fastpasses need to be used within the time allotted. I believe you already understand that since you said you'll be checking on the return times for fastpasses, but it's important to note. Keep in mind that you'll be hitting the parks when they really start getting crowded. The best time is to go early morning rather than late morning, take your break, then go back later - are you talking about return time after the parades, because that is when more people will be leaving and you run the risk of not being allowed back into the park due to the crowds, even late afternoon/early evening.

For Tower of Terror, I'm not sure that they are offering fastpasses for late check-out, which is the night version of Tower of Terror, so try to get your fastpasses early in the day because they are running out quickly. I know that more will chime in with their experiences and hints. :) Have a wonderful time!

You do want to get into the Disneyland park as early as you can, even if you don't do rope drop. Once you have scanned into DLR, you are in the re-entry group when tiered closures take effect.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Please keep them coming. We will be going with a positive outlook and expectations appropriately managed. (Probably easier for my wife and son to do. If I had my way we'd be hitting rope drop and doing the preferred touring strategy. But not going to happen this trip so I just need to deal with it. :teeth:)

As for our strategy to hit the parks during the mid morning for a few hours and return to them later at night, I'm thinking that realistically we'd be back at the parks around 8 p.m. That will give us a couple of hours in DCA (10 p.m. closing) and Disneyland (midnight closing). If we are lucky (and the timing works out), during our mid morning visit we might be able to secure some fastpasses to use for those night time hours. (I am aware that fastpass return times are now enforced.)

One additional question that I forgot to ask, will there be a significant drop in standby times from around 8 p.m. and on? A guy can dream right?

Thanks again for your thoughts! :santa:

What do you plan do to between the end of mid-morning and 8pm? If it were me, I'd rather just stay in the park, watch some performances on Main St, wait in a few character lines, wait in some of the relatively shorter ride lines and even pull FP, find some food and eat it and make the best of the crowds than have to kill 6 or more hours before returning at 8pm to avoid crowds. Especially if that's the plan for multiple days. Also, 8pm is a terrible time to return. That's when people are getting into place for nighttime entertainment and the turnstiles and Main St will be their most crowded. I'd aim to be back when the last Christmas parade ends and crowds disperse for DL and before it ends at DCA when people will park hop.

For Tower of Terror, I'm not sure that they are offering fastpasses for late check-out, which is the night version of Tower of Terror, so try to get your fastpasses early in the day because they are running out quickly. I know that more will chime in with their experiences and hints. :) Have a wonderful time!

They're now offering fastpasses even for late check-out. I think they started doing this sometime last week. Enjoy!

Bob

What do you plan do to between the end of mid-morning and 8pm? If it were me, I'd rather just stay in the park, watch some performances on Main St, wait in a few character lines, wait in some of the relatively shorter ride lines and even pull FP, find some food and eat it and make the best of the crowds than have to kill 6 or more hours before returning at 8pm to avoid crowds. Especially if that's the plan for multiple days. Also, 8pm is a terrible time to return. That's when people are getting into place for nighttime entertainment and the turnstiles and Main St will be their most crowded. I'd aim to be back when the last Christmas parade ends and crowds disperse for DL and before it ends at DCA when people will park hop.

Thank you for the reply. I'm with you. :teeth: And if going to the parks was the primary focus of this trip then we would probably do that. But we are coming out to watch our older son's basketball team play in a tournament. His games are in the late afternoon/early evening. Thus, the "break" from the parks during that time. Like I mentioned in my initial post, based on our situation, we're just trying to be flexible and get in some quality rides when we can.

Just some data points on when fastpasses became unavailable for some rides for those still reading (according to the Disney app) . . .

TOT ran out a little after 1 p.m.

RSR ran out sometime before 1 p.m.

Space was at 8:10 p.m. return time as of 1:30 p.m.

I wonder how much those times will change next week? I've heard that next week is more crowded than this week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter