Looking For Some "Crafty/Creative" Advice for a Gift

Christine

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone--hoping someone here who is creative can point me in the right direction, if there is such a thing.

One of my employees is retiring. One of the gifts we are giving her is a framed photo of our worksite (it's somewhat historical). I'm going to use a 5x7 print and the mat is fairly thick/wide so we will have everyone sign it. At the bottom of the mat, I want to print out two of our "logos"--one for the overall agency and one for our organization. In between that along the bottom of the photo and between the logos, I'd like to have some nice script or something that says something like "Happy Retirement from Agency ABC 2016-2024" I'll probably put our agency slogan on there that we use for farewells. You get the gist.

No one has handwriting good enough. Not sure where to get something like this done (need it by May 30th. Does anyone know if lettered stickers or something like this can be purchased and have it made up? I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well enough!

I'm sure there's a way to get this. I would try Etsy, find someone who makes signs or whatever. A friend with a Cricut could probably do it, too. Maybe a local print shop? Spitballing here...

P.S. A friend with a Cricut could do vinyl lettering that you could place on the picture mat (matte?) Maybe glue it in place.

I'm sure there's a way to get this. I would try Etsy, find someone who makes signs or whatever. A friend with a Cricut could probably do it, too. Maybe a local print shop? Spitballing here...

P.S. A friend with a Cricut could do vinyl lettering that you could place on the picture mat (matte?) Maybe glue it in place.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes, people with a Cricut or a Silhouette stencil cutting machine can either have all the words on adhesive backed vinyl pre-cut out. Sort of like Contact paper, (the adhesive shelf liner paper.) You apply the words to the mat. OR you can order a clear mylar stencil to be made where the words are cut out holes and you place the stencil over the mat, then lightly dab paint or marker the words on the mat.

If you do this yourself, you have to make sure the words or stencils are centered properly. If you send the mat to someone on Etsy, you'd have to pay for the shipping and packaging to send it back & forth. That may be cost prohibitive.

There is a third option. Go to Staples or a poster printing place and have the photo printed in the middle of poster size paper. A "faux mat" in the color you want, would be printed as a wide border around the photo. And the words & logo could be easily placed at the bottom of the border. It would all be one sheet. Of course you can the print and cut the poster down smaller than poster size if that is too large.

Examples:

Zazzle .com has some options for this in many sizes:

https://www.zazzle.com/graduation_p...ok_alternative_photo_print-256714494098397027

graduation_party_signing_guest_book_alternative_photo_print-r_v4n9e1_644.webp

Or: https://www.zazzle.com/motivational_style_vertical_border_template_poster-228692512876232235

motivational_style_vertical_border_template_poster-rd761ee4f6f534a1cb4167563179d4424_wvc_8byvr_644.webp

The poster in a frame:

inspirational-poster-it-is-attitude-not-circumstances-that-makes-success-possible,1054732.jpg

You could also put your printing on a separate piece of (nice) paper, and attach it like a plaque to the front of the mat, maybe even layered over a slightly bigger colored paper or mat board to coordinate with the photo - make it look intentional.

You could also put your printing on a separate piece of (nice) paper, and attach it like a plaque to the front of the mat, maybe even layered over a slightly bigger colored paper or mat board to coordinate with the photo - make it look intentional.

Yes! There are extra deep frames that allow for two mats to be put in front of a photo. Then the OP can have the original idea of people signing a mat, and having a second mat on top, along all edges or just at the bottom with the logo & words. Each layer pulls the viewer in a level to the photo.

Unfortunately I already have the frame. Keeping it small so it can be a tabletop frame. I mean really no one wants to retire and hang some big work photo on their wall at home! The full size is 8x10 with a 5x7 opening. Also our graphics department does the photo printing so I don’t have a lot of choice there.

Unfortunately I already have the frame. Keeping it small so it can be a tabletop frame. I mean really no one wants to retire and hang some big work photo on their wall at home! The full size is 8x10 with a 5x7 opening. Also our graphics department does the photo printing so I don’t have a lot of choice there.

Have you asked the graphics department if they have a way to add the logo and words to the mat?

smack.gif
Was thinking too high tech before. This is the SIMPLEST way to make a transfer.

Find a nice script font on your computer word processing program. (If you need some nice free script fonts, I have a link for them.) Type out the words you want. Print a photocopy of it and the logos, in the sizes you want.

Then follow this tutorial below to trace around the OUTLINE of the words and logos. Make sure you use GRAPHITE PAPER and not carbon paper which is oily and will leave a residue that you can't marker over or erase. Graphite is the same material the center of pencils are made with. Graphite paper can be found at any art/craft supply store (like Michael's Arts & Crafts,) in the drawing section. Fine art supplies store sell them in single sheets, which is all you need. Amazon sells it too.

Once you have the outline of the words & logo traced on the mat, simply get some colorful Sharpie or fine point permanent markers to fill in the words & logo. Erase any traced lines. Done.

smack.gif
Was thinking too high tech before. This is the SIMPLEST way to make a transfer.

Find a nice script font on your computer word processing program. (If you need some nice free script fonts, I have a link for them.) Type out the words you want. Print a photocopy of it and the logos, in the sizes you want.

Then follow this tutorial below to trace around the OUTLINE of the words and logos. Make sure you use GRAPHITE PAPER and not carbon paper which is oily and will leave a residue that you can't marker over or erase. Graphite is the same material the center of pencils are made with. Graphite paper can be found at any art/craft supply store (like Michael's Arts & Crafts,) in the drawing section. Fine art supplies store sell them in single sheets, which is all you need. Amazon sells it too.

Once you have the outline of the words & logo traced on the mat, simply get some colorful Sharpie or fine point permanent markers to fill in the words & logo. Erase any traced lines. Done.

I feel like I might ruin the mat in about 5 seconds. I’m really horrible at anything like this.

I feel like I might ruin the mat in about 5 seconds. I’m really horrible at anything like this.

Practice it first, a couple times on a plain cardboard box. It will probably have the same level of absorption as the mat. Especially the tracing in with the fine tip marker and filling it in. You can do this! :thumbsup2

Well, thanks for all your suggestions. They at least got me going in a few different directions on Etsy. This morning I settled on an engraved "brass" plate that sticks on (like for a trophy). It was the perfect size for my mat, I got it in black with gold letters coming through, and it gave me 5 lines of text which is exactly what was needed. Best is that it was only $7.00/free shipping, and will be here in about 5 days.

Thanks for giving me some ideas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter