• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking for recommendations

kelly0726

Earning My Ears
We will be going to WDW for the first time in 7 years. It will be me and DH plus our 3 boys-12, 10 and 7. Last trip we had dining plan and took full advantage with meals at Le cellier, cali grill, tepan edo, chef mickeys, and other favs. This time we aren't doing the dining plan and would love to try some new places. We don't necessarily want a TS everyday and maybe just 1 character meal if at all. I'd love to hear everyone's picks if they were only going to do 3-4 TS and then top QS meals as well. Great values would be a bonus! TIA

The boys will enjoy Sci-Fi Dine In.

Via Napoli can be a good value OOP. If you do a character meal, I'd recommend a Tusker House Rivers of Light package.

Our favorite table service restaurants include Boma, Biergarten, Mama Melrose, and 50s Prime Time Cafe. Favorite counter service places include Tangierine Cafe and Columbia Harbor House. I think that you can find some good value at FlameTree BBQ as they have a combo platter (chicken and ribs, or a 1/2 chicken) that DD and I are happy sharing, and Cosmic Ray's has a half-chicken combo and a half-chicken & pulled pork combo that are perfect for sharing.

I agree about SciFi food is decent and theming unique but do they have cars to comfortably fit a family of 5. I dont think the kids would enjoy it as much if they couldn't sit in a car.

50's Prime Time no longer has sassy waitresses and the meal we had was not that great although we got alot of it.

Beirgarten is fun but maybe expensive if the kids dont like most of the food on the buffet so check the menu.

Are you staying on property?

Last edited:

My bf(26) and I(24) really enjoyed Sci-Fi, he loved all the geeky old adverts for the sci-fi movies. Also Boma breakfast was possibly one of the highlights of our trip. We also managed to get a BOG breakfast very early for our first day (which I always insist is the MK) and it was amazing (just don't think of the price) however it was the first day and a great way to kick of the holiday and I really enjoyed the meal :)

We also went to Le Celier for lunch, which gets a bad rep for being expensive. However we didn't get a main course and loved it. We got loads of side orders and the poutine, super filing, got to try different things and much better value for money.

We also did ice cream at Beaches and Cream after illuminations one night and that was good. Although my BF nearly died with the portion size.

Cars are usually 2 per row, so a party of 5 would have one solo, or one row with a squeeze. Depends on the actual sizes of party members.

Whipsering Canyon is still fun with sassiness.

Tusker House is a great character buffet - the breakfast is very good and you get into the park early. For QS, try Contempo at the Contemporary - good food and on the monorail...also try Gasparilla Grill at Grand Floridian. Trails End is a decent and casual buffet and very reasonably priced - you can take watercraft over to it and it is fun area to walk around with the kids. Sunshine Seasons at The Land in Epcot is great for QS too as well as Yak and Yeti at Animal Kingdom. Beaches and Cream at Beach Club Hotel is fun for the kids then walk over to Epcot. We love Saana at AKL and the food isn't too spicy - butter chicken is great for kids and the restaurant and AKL is such a great place to enjoy the evening. Hope this helps!

Whispering Canyon - like mentioned in the above comment, the wait staff is fun and sassy if you want. You're given a coaster to place on your table to indicate if you want to join in on the fun or not and they'll respect that. They had stick horse races, my FIL wwas given a 3 straw length straw in the biggest mason jar I've ever seen and we couldn't stop laughing, and you have to ask for the ketchup :thumbsup2! The food was delicious and replenished as many times as you'd like. Plus the hotel is beautiful and I think your boys would like the atmosphere. You can also see if they're hosting a fire/marshmallow roast after dinner to tie into the camping/wilderness vibe.

oh and seconding Beaches and Cream! Such a fun 50's diner vibe and it's always a good laugh when someone orders the kitchen sink to see the spectacle that goes on :rotfl:

Sunshine Seasons in The Land at Epcot is my favorite go-to when we're having counter service but no can decided what they want Something for everyone. I'll eat there more than one a trip if we're with a group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter