Looking for Non-Standard Things to do in WDW?

LeeAnn

DIS Veteran
Been to WDW many times. Looking for something different to do at all 4 parks and Disney Spring. Want to change things up a bit.

Animal Kingdom has a couple of tours for a more "up close and personal" view of the elephants and rhino. I did the elephant one (Caring for Giants) and thought it was pretty cool. You don't get to pat them or anything but you go backstage with a trainer, learn a lot about how disney cares for animals, get out on to the savanna for a closer look at the "Mighty Pachyderm" and things like that. I want to do the rhino tour the next time I go to Disney, IF I can get a reservation!

I also like to spend time walking all the trails at the base of the Tree of Life, checking out the animals there.

Speaking of AK tours the Wild Africa Trek is awesome. We go quite often and recently did the animation experience which was great fun.
Take the boat from Disney Springs to Port Orleans and get beignets you see the treehouses.
Rent a pontoon boat at Grand Floridian and grab lunch from Gasparillas and have lunch in front of the Magic Kingdom on a boat!
Scuba Dive in Epcot seas
Go to Hoop Dee Doo

Just some fun things we like to do.

AKL. Classes, talks, touring the lodge. In parks: Deep dives into each country at EPCOT. Like deep dives. IN the Germany shop, stuff will move on the wall and the beer steins sing (I think, I was tired, but they do something). There are Worlds of little stuff like this. AK is fantastic for people watching around the moat. Going out to the station and watching what is going on out there (we did an impromptu animation class and had a blast). Trying out the quick service at the Deluxe resorts (we did to go from somewhere at the Polynesian and dine on the beach watching the Water Pageant. Go check out the activities at the Campground, etc.

Go enjoy the Spirit of Aloha Luau at the Poly! Then have a blast at the Richard Petty driving experience! Check out the shark reef and snorkel with them at typhoon lagoon! Hit up Disney Quest for some gaming fun! Sit back and enjoy the Grand Floridian society orchestra! Then check out the adventurers club and pleasure island! Try out for the American Idol experience! Enjoy the plaza swan boats at magic kingdom! How about the Star Wars Virtual Reality experience at Disney Springs? Or the nba experience? Interact with the citizens of Hollywood at Hollywood studios! Watch Kite Tails at animal kingdom or rivers of light! Don’t miss the kiss goodnight at the end of your day at magic kingdom! Have your kids check out the Jedi temple training academy! Dine with an imagineer! Learn to draw at the animation academy at Hollywood studios! And seriously how about those Davey Crockett Canoes? Or the Jammin’ Jungle Parade at AK? Rent a private cabana right in Tomorrowland! Run around the park playing sorcerers of the magic kingdom! Last but not least… spend some Disney dollars on the galactic starcruiser! If you’re hungry .. Restaraunt Marrakesh is always good (avoid big river grille on the boardwalk- do espn club instead). And you probably already know but Magic Kingdom’s night parades are wonderful, don’t miss spectromagic and the extra showing during extra magic hours for all guests. Have a safe trip home on the magical express!

Last edited:
We love The Animation Experience at Conservation Station (Animal Kingdom) where you learn to draw Disney characters from an animator. Not in the parks, but Trader Sam's at the Polynesian Resort is fun.

I love my dawn patrol morning runs at the resort. Such a great way to start the day.

Reactions: rlk

My wife and I arrrive next week, and we are trying a couple things we have not done before. We are going to go to the Cirque show at DS, and we are planning to play mini-golf at Fantasia Gardens. We are also dining at several places we have not experienced before so that could be something new for you if you are so inclined. Also contemplating spending an evening on the Boardwalk and enjoying some of the entertainment there.

My wife and I arrrive next week, and we are trying a couple things we have not done before. We are going to go to the Cirque show at DS, and we are planning to play mini-golf at Fantasia Gardens. We are also dining at several places we have not experienced before so that could be something new for you if you are so inclined. Also contemplating spending an evening on the Boardwalk and enjoying some of the entertainment there.
You will have a great time. We play Fantasia Putt Putt then went over to the Boardwalk for dinner/ice cream - saw the Epcot on the bridge that looks over into the park and enjoyed live performers.

Animal Kingdom - love the drawing class at Animation Academy and spending awhile at Nomad Lounge. The food is so good and if you get a seat at the bar, the bartenders have always been so nice!

Epcot - I love music so that’s usually a big part of my visits. I love catching Voices of Liberty, seeing what entertainment is in Canada/Germany as they usually rotate different acts for the festival and some suit my interests more than others. I also like the different concerts at the various times of year. I’m more into the festival of the arts and candlelight as most of the garden rocks/eat to the beat are not quite my age bracket, but some of the artists I do enjoy seeing! This is usually my relaxed park day.

Hollywood Studios - love grabbing the charcuterie board and pretzel at Baseline and just relaxing. The soundtrack there is very chill. The shows are also fun (sorry, they got rid of most of my favorite things in this park so I don’t go as often now) like Frozen to see what jokes they’re doing now and an occasional visit to Indiana.

Magic Kingdom - I love seeing the Casey Corner pianist! This is a more recent thing for me, but they are all very talented and a lot of locals and even visitors from elsewhere come pretty often and interact with them. They’ll play your song requests too. It’s just fun to watch and it’s really relaxing. I also like mixing in Dapper Dans here and there. Peoplemover and trying some snacks when they’ve added new things on menus is also a must do.

It can be fun to try to do the rides you never do too, rather than just the headliners. Explore some of those off the beaten path areas. Can’t tell you the last time I went to the Boneyard at DAK! I try to go to Tom Sawyer every so often but it’s been pretty hot my last few visits. Just little things that are uniquely Disney.

Go enjoy the Spirit of Aloha Luau at the Poly! Then have a blast at the Richard Petty driving experience! Check out the shark reef and snorkel with them at typhoon lagoon! Hit up Disney Quest for some gaming fun! Sit back and enjoy the Grand Floridian society orchestra! Then check out the adventurers club and pleasure island! Try out for the American Idol experience! Enjoy the plaza swan boats at magic kingdom! How about the Star Wars Virtual Reality experience at Disney Springs? Or the nba experience? Interact with the citizens of Hollywood at Hollywood studios! Watch Kite Tails at animal kingdom or rivers of light! Don’t miss the kiss goodnight at the end of your day at magic kingdom! Have your kids check out the Jedi temple training academy! Dine with an imagineer! Learn to draw at the animation academy at Hollywood studios! And seriously how about those Davey Crockett Canoes? Or the Jammin’ Jungle Parade at AK? Rent a private cabana right in Tomorrowland! Run around the park playing sorcerers of the magic kingdom! Last but not least… spend some Disney dollars on the galactic starcruiser! If you’re hungry .. Restaraunt Marrakesh is always good (avoid big river grille on the boardwalk- do espn club instead). And you probably already know but Magic Kingdom’s night parades are wonderful, don’t miss spectromagic and the extra showing during extra magic hours for all guests. Have a safe trip home on the magical express!
Multiple people have confirmed MK is not doing the kiss goodnight 😭

Look for hidden Mickeys. Do an architectural tour after reading up on building details. Pirates scaventure hunt in adventure land.

Each resort has its own cool theme and things to do. One of my faves is grabbing a drink at the Polynesian outdoor bar or taking a stroll around the Animal Kingdom Lodge to see the animals.

Go enjoy the Spirit of Aloha Luau at the Poly ,,,,,,, [etc]
I am old (and fortunate) enough to say that I have experienced just about all of these blasts from the past. Excellent flashback write-up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter