Looking for dining reservation suggestions when visiting each park

4leobeans

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone.

I'm in the early stages of planning our third family trip (late September 2017). I'd starting to make our preliminary dining list, and thought I'd turn to the DIS for some suggestions :thumbsup2

I'm thinking we'll try all new restaurants (my hubby has requested 'Ohana again), and I'm primarily interested in those options either in park, or MK area. We're currently booked at The Contemporary, but are considering Wilderness Lodge as well. Our first trip, we travelled to a few resort restaurants, while staying at POR, and it made for some long days (Disney transportation only).

We will have 9.5 and 7 yo girls, and a boy just turning 4. We plan to visit MK and Epcot twice, and AK and HS once. We do have the DDP, so plan for a TS everyday. Open to breakfast or supper suggestions popcorn::

Here's my thought so far (these are all new to us):

AK - Rainforest Cafe (I know it's a chain, but they certainly don't have these where we are in Canada, so kids are excited!)

HS - thinking Sci-Fi. We've done MM and H&V breaky (which was really good, but think my girls might be getting a bit old)

MK - looking for recommendations that are either at MK for breakfast, or nearby for supper.
Thinking maybe Chef Mickeys or Crystal Palace for breakfast. We did BOG and CRT for breakfast last trip.
'Ohana for supper...but another supper suggestion in the MK area?

Epcot - thinking Coral Reef, maybe Biergarten....but really unsure for Epcot area suggestions....

Really looking forward to reading your suggestions, and very excited to try some new places to eat :disrocks:

mk breakfast would be crystal palace supper would be skippers for us we like both

Garden Grill at Epcot is one of our favorite character breakfasts. It is served family style so no buffet and the first course is a pan (or two!) full of sticky buns!!! The character interaction is one of the best-Chip and Dale are hysterical.

Have you done 50's Prime Time at DHS before? We LOVE it even though we were a bit concerned about what the CMs would do - end up we had nothing to worry about. They are really fun but tame, nothing embarrassing. I can understand your kids wanting to go to Rainforest Cafe. We really like Crystal Palace for breakfast. I haven't been to 'Ohana for several years the last time we went it wasn't as good as we remembered it but we used to go all the time. I do think it's a good option tough. My son and I really like Biergarten, my husband not so much. We also like San Angel Inn because of the atmosphere and my DH and I like La Hacienda de San Angel but it isn't exactly a fun environment for kids.

I would pass on Chef Mickey's as its not that great. The food wasn't very good. I've eaten at Crystal Palace for dinner and loved it and have it booked again this trip so, I would suggest Crystal Palace over Chef Mickey's. Also the characters at Crystal Palace come around more (2 to 3 times) and at Chef Mickey's we had to wait forever for Mickey. We were actually done eating and still waiting for him.

mk breakfast would be crystal palace supper would be skippers for us we like both

I was checking out the menu for Skippers....it looks interesting, I just wasn't sure about it for kids. I'll definitely keep it on the list though!

Garden Grill at Epcot is one of our favorite character breakfasts. It is served family style so no buffet and the first course is a pan (or two!) full of sticky buns!!! The character interaction is one of the best-Chip and Dale are hysterical.

We did GG for supper a few years ago....I didn't realize they did a breakfast too....of course they do breakfast......Disney is not going to have a restaurant closed during a meal time....especially a character meet! It was closed last time we were there....I guess that's probably why it's off my radar. I do like the idea of being served...especially with smaller kids! We had a great time with Chip and Dale, and I'll put that on the list, thanks!

Have you done 50's Prime Time at DHS before? We LOVE it even though we were a bit concerned about what the CMs would do - end up we had nothing to worry about. They are really fun but tame, nothing embarrassing. I can understand your kids wanting to go to Rainforest Cafe. We really like Crystal Palace for breakfast. I haven't been to 'Ohana for several years the last time we went it wasn't as good as we remembered it but we used to go all the time. I do think it's a good option tough. My son and I really like Biergarten, my husband not so much. We also like San Angel Inn because of the atmosphere and my DH and I like La Hacienda de San Angel but it isn't exactly a fun environment for kids.

My hubby and I did 50's Prime time before we had kids, years ago. We actually just walked in for supper.....guess that doesn't happen anymore :rotfl2:. I do love milkshakes, and we all have a big sweet tooth, so maybe worth looking at closer. I wasn't super impressed by our 'Ohana meal last time (I found the meat a bit dry), and it was so hectic, but the kids had fun and my husband loved all the meat on sticks! I've been wondering about Biergarten and am intrigued about the entertainment....less about the food though. Years ago we did La Hacienda (sans kids) but I don't think they'd like that one.

I would pass on Chef Mickey's as its not that great. The food wasn't very good. I've eaten at Crystal Palace for dinner and loved it and have it booked again this trip so, I would suggest Crystal Palace over Chef Mickey's. Also the characters at Crystal Palace come around more (2 to 3 times) and at Chef Mickey's we had to wait forever for Mickey. We were actually done eating and still waiting for him.

Yeah, I certainly read some pretty dismal reviews about Chef Mickeys....I guess it's that iconic character breakfast (and proximity) that has it on the list. Thanks for sharing your comments on the characters. We went to DW 2 years ago, and it was tough trying to convince my son to wait for the characters...especially once he could see them at other tables....Crystal palace looks very lovely...I'm not a big WtheP fan, but I know the littlest would love it!

Last edited:
The Wave at Contemporary for dinner. One of the better TS meals we've had. Our family did not like Crystal Palace and will not go back.

At Epcot our kids really enjoy Teppan Edo -- it is the one "must do" they insist on each trip. Most of our family like Via Napoli, but our daughter didn't like the crust on the pizza.

We don't have kids but here are our favorites:

MK - CP breakfast, Tony's dinner, and BOG dinner. At resorts nearby we like WCC breakfast or Trail's End breakfast.

Epcot - We loved breakfast at Cape May Cafe in BC. For lunch CR or Tutto. Dinner Chefs or LC.

DHS - Lunch at Sci Fi or HBD. Dinner at 50's PTC.

AK - Breakfast at TH. Lunch at Rainforest Cafe. Dinner at Boma.

Last years trip our kids were 9, 6 and 3. They loved Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge for dinner. You can take a boat from the MK to it. They also love both 'Ohana breakfast and dinner. In HS they love Sci-fi and at AK they love Tusker House. Epcot we haven't found our must do TS restaurant yet.:)

Yeah, I certainly read some pretty dismal reviews about Chef Mickeys....I guess it's that iconic character breakfast (and proximity) that has it on the list. Thanks for sharing your comments on the characters. We went to DW 2 years ago, and it was tough trying to convince my son to wait for the characters...especially once he could see them at other tables....Crystal palace looks very lovely...I'm not a big WtheP fan, but I know the littlest would love it!
I'm not a huge Winnie & friends fan either however, every time I interact with them I always have a good time with great pictures & memories. I wish you the best in whatever ADR you select.:o

Ohana is our favorite!

Epcot - We love Biergarten for dinner. It's such a fun atmosphere and the food is great for a buffet! For lunch, we often split up, grab food from our favorite countries, then meet up to eat together...ha!
AK - Tusker House dinner. Flame Tree BBQ or Yak and Yeti CS lunch.
HS - We love 50s Prime Time the best. Sci-Fi is a fun experience, but we think the food is just okay.
MK - We are going to try Skippers for the first time on this trip. Columbia Harbor House or Pinocchio Village Haus for their flatbread pizzas. We did not care for Crystal Palace dinner (my son actually got food poisoning afterwards, but I realize that can happen anywhere). I keep trying to convince my family to try Whispering Canyon for dinner because it looks like fun and the food looks great.

Having gone from our kids being younger than yours to now much older, Crystal Palace dinner is still a favorite. I know that it has mixed reaction but we have always found the food to be good and varied, and if your kids have any interest in the Pooh characters they will enjoy it. The character interaction isn't as extensive as at some places but we have always had a great time. For HS Sci-Fi is a fun experience despite the mediocre food but consider your kids' fright factor--while the clips that they show would be considered sci-fi campy by adults and older teens, some of them did frighten my DS when he was young. If you have any concerns then do 50s Prime Time, which is still a fun interactive experience but no risk of fright. Fright factor also a consideration for Rainforest cafe--DS was consistently freaked out by the thunderstorm when very young--clearly he was highly sensitive but kids; sensitivities definitely vary. Epcot Biergarten is a great choice, we didn't discover it until our kids were a bit older but the atmosphere and music are fun and a lot of families get up and dance, and San Angel Inn in Mexico pavilion was another favorite of my kids when they were younger, especially if you can get a table by the water to watch the boats. One other thought in Epcot is in Japan, the Japanese steak house tables where they cook in front of you, another kid favorite. Have fun!

As an alternative to Chef Mickey, have you tried breakfast at 1900 Park Fare or Ohana's breakfast? First is a character buffet (Alice, Hatter, Poppins and a couple others) it's actually really good buffet and As big as it is, it's not the chaos that CM can be. I love Ohana's breakfast (Mickey, Lilo, Stitch and Pluto) and its family style. It quiet and kids get up to dance with characters.

MK dinner, have you tried Liberty Tree or Diamond Horse Shoe? Both are really good food.

HS - we LOVE 50's Prime Time

AK - I am not tying to disparage any place at Disney, but we tried Rain Forest Cafe on three different trips and every time the food was awful and service subpar. Anywhere else would be better.

As for dinner

MK - I would pick BOG.

Epcot - Chefs/France, Norway to meet the Princesses for your daughters or Tutto/Italy for the pizza.

Hello everyone.

I'm in the early stages of planning our third family trip (late September 2017). I'd starting to make our preliminary dining list, and thought I'd turn to the DIS for some suggestions :thumbsup2

I'm thinking we'll try all new restaurants (my hubby has requested 'Ohana again), and I'm primarily interested in those options either in park, or MK area. We're currently booked at The Contemporary, but are considering Wilderness Lodge as well. Our first trip, we travelled to a few resort restaurants, while staying at POR, and it made for some long days (Disney transportation only).

We will have 9.5 and 7 yo girls, and a boy just turning 4. We plan to visit MK and Epcot twice, and AK and HS once. We do have the DDP, so plan for a TS everyday. Open to breakfast or supper suggestions popcorn::

Here's my thought so far (these are all new to us):

AK - Rainforest Cafe (I know it's a chain, but they certainly don't have these where we are in Canada, so kids are excited!)

HS - thinking Sci-Fi. We've done MM and H&V breaky (which was really good, but think my girls might be getting a bit old)

MK - looking for recommendations that are either at MK for breakfast, or nearby for supper.
Thinking maybe Chef Mickeys or Crystal Palace for breakfast. We did BOG and CRT for breakfast last trip.
'Ohana for supper...but another supper suggestion in the MK area?

Epcot - thinking Coral Reef, maybe Biergarten....but really unsure for Epcot area suggestions....

Really looking forward to reading your suggestions, and very excited to try some new places to eat :disrocks:

Love the list !
Ohana is a MUST ! !! We where finally able to eat there a few years ago and now its a must for us every trip.
Ak Since your family is excited for rain forest i say enjoy it !
Epcot you cant go wrong with Coaral Reef but if you want a character spot Garden grill is a great spot
HS LOVE Sci Fi !

Our favorites (and those favorites of my kids when they were similar age to yours):

MK: Crystal Palace as first choice and Tony's second (I know Tony's gets 'bad' reviews, but we have had great meals and my kids loved the atmosphere). Regarding Crystal Palace, many of the adults in our party last December ate from CP's kid buffet area...nuggets, meatballs, and mac and cheese (and they loved it). Character interaction there was amazing. That said, we're trying to book Jungle Canteen next trip!

Near MK: 'Ohana breakfast (haven't had dinner there) for great food and characters and Cali Grill dinner for older kids if you want to splurge.

Epcot: Via Napoli, San Angel Inn, Chefs du France, and Biergarten just depending on which menu interests you and your kids the most. We loved our meals there and the atmosphere. I wasn't impressed with our Garden Grill breakfast last December...we had a larger party and it was difficult getting people out from the middle of the half moon booths to interact with the characters. The food wasn't very good AND the character interaction was really lacking compared to every character meal we've had elsewhere. However, we may have just hit the characters on an off day...and if you've eaten at GG before, you're away of the restrictions the seating provides. But I'd eat at GG again over Coral Reef. It's just ok food and unless you get a seat next to the fish, it wasn't very interesting for my kids after five minutes.

AK: I love Yak and Yeti (and it's kid friendly), but Rainforest Cafe is a decent alternative for kids. But Rainforest is a "we can't get ADRs elsewhere" stop for us, honestly, because it feels like a chain to us and not Disney. We tried Tusker House, but it wasn't to our taste. But if the menu appeals to you, the character interaction was very good.

DS: I've eaten at Sci Fi and Prime Time, and both have great, kid-friendly atmosphere and menus.

Elsewhere: Cape May dinner if you have kids who like seafood. Boma if you'd like to venture from AK to AKL. Raglan Road at Disney Springs.

Planning stages! My favorite!

MK/MK Area Breakfast: If you want to stay in the park, Crystal Palace. If you would take a monorail ride, 1900 Park Fare at GF. O'hana for breakfast is pretty awesome as well, we usually do an O'hana breakfast and a dinner if we stay at a MK resort.

Supper Ideas: MK Area - Whispering Canyon Cafe. My DS10 had a blast! Skipper's Canteen. Also one of our favorites, but the kids menu is a little harder if you have picky eaters. BOG is a must-do for us as well.

Epcot Area - Beaches and Cream at Beach Club. We got the Kitchen Sink the last time we went, and the whole dining experience was amazing!

DHS - Another vote for 50's Prime Time

AK - We usually do QS at Yak and Yeti but we have reservations for the sit down Yak and Yeti dinner in April!

Have fun planning!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter