Looking for a solution for a coverup when helping my daughter in and out of shower/tub

sarah4770

DIS Veteran
Our upcoming trip, I want to assist my daughter in and out of the shower or tub, she has balance issues that have resulted in some pretty nasty falls. But she also wants to be independent.
I was trying to find some sort of safe robe or coverup for her to wear when getting in and out of the shower. Does anyone have any tips or ideas ?
for one part of our stay, I am getting a special accessible room, so she would be safer in the tub.
But for the second part, I think I am going to request a roll in shower, as long as it comes with a shower seat. My only concern is her slipping/falling on a wet floor. I’m not sure what to do. She has become progressively more ill.

Last edited:
Oh no. That’s what I booked. I guess I didn’t read the description well enough. Thank you for pointing that out!

I don’t know if this might help, but after ankle surgery, I wore “water shoes” in the shower for weeks after I got the ok to walk without the boot. I’m older / arthritic & I felt way more “stable” with those non-skid water shoes on.

Don't know if this'll help, but we bought these for our shower at home and I travel with one. Shower wall has to be smooth, not textured, and you can't pull yourself up and out of a tub, but they are incredibly stable for providing support/assistance when getting in/out of a shower stall (or in a shower). Lots of companies make them; I got mine at Amazon, my sister got hers at Target.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 11.36.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 11.36.13 PM.png
    182.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the ideas. The shoes are a great idea, and I am going to get them.
no, I wasn’t looking a Terry body wrap. i mean something that can be wet and lightweight. if that makes sense. Something she can keep herself covered while I physically help her in and out of the shower or tub, and maybe help with shampooing. She is very very modest. She won’t be able to hold on to a towel and keep her balance.

Oh no. That’s what I booked. I guess I didn’t read the description well enough. Thank you for pointing that out!
It’s an odd category, with handrails at the toilet but not the tub/shower.

Would a light cotton robe work? She can put it on before opening the curtain. It should dry easily if it hangs while you are out. My mom has one with snaps so no worries about tie belt coming open.

Try looking at those packable camping towels. They're really lightweight and fold up pretty small. I know REI carries them. Not sure how big they are, but they're nowhere near a bulky traditional towel.

I read your post and it got me googling since I thought it was a very interesting question. I found something from a company in England, I didn't search further but if you google "shower drapron" you should see the product I mean and perhaps even be able to find something similar from a more local company. It's a cover meant to be kept on during shower, it mentions showering with dignity which I believe is what you are looking for.

How old is your daughter? How much support does she need? If she needs a lot, then standard grab-bars that are bolted to the shower wall are going to be the safest. My mom has the removable "grab bars" that are shown above and I have definitely been able to move them in the shower when putting my hand on it. As an OT, whenever anyone needs grab bars, err on the side of using the ones that are securely fastened to the wall--otherwise it could give a false sense of security, lending one to put more weight through it than is intended.

For the modesty issue, I'd just recommend your daughter have some quick-drying underwear and a quick-drying shirt (like an exercise shirt or bra) and wear that. Those are designed to dry quick and you could wash them and hang to dry for the next shower/bath.

Also see if you can get a shower chair/tub transfer seat--definitely makes bathing safer.

Thanks for the ideas. The shoes are a great idea, and I am going to get them.
no, I wasn’t looking a Terry body wrap. i mean something that can be wet and lightweight. if that makes sense. Something she can keep herself covered while I physically help her in and out of the shower or tub, and maybe help with shampooing. She is very very modest. She won’t be able to hold on to a towel and keep her balance.
A bathing suit would be a good choice. the less fabric the more skin is expose so a fuller bikini might be more useful than a one piece.

Maybe a sports bra and just a towel in her lap. I don’t think she could wash all the important places🤣 wearing a bathing suit.

Don't know if this'll help, but we bought these for our shower at home and I travel with one. Shower wall has to be smooth, not textured, and you can't pull yourself up and out of a tub, but they are incredibly stable for providing support/assistance when getting in/out of a shower stall (or in a shower). Lots of companies make them; I got mine at Amazon, my sister got hers at Target.
They also sell them at Walmart, around $20.00 for a pair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter