Looking for a little more info on the "2 year olds can eat off your plates" scenario

2019TripIdeas

Mouseketeer
I've read such mixed things on this so hoping for more info. Specifically, our 5 ADRs are Garden Grill (we may end up canceling this one and/or switching it for Tusker House if possible), Storybook Dining, Skippers Canteen, Raglan Road, Biergarten (10 day trip) and then the kids will also be going to 1900 Park Fare with relatives.

Our 2 year old has a much bigger appetite than his 3 year old brother. I think it's very possible that the boys would be able to split meals. Is it frowned upon to ask for an extra plate (at non-buffet locations) or does it mean literally they have to eat off your plate?

Any other info/experiences with this specific age group at these locations is welcome too!

Buffets are great. You can get them their own plate and they eat all they want at no charge. Family style is similar too, they will have a plate in front of them so they aren't literally reaching into someone else's plate.

When my kids were 2, I ordered and paid for their own meals at non-buffet restaurants. I wasn't going to order anything they would have eaten and I wasn't going to make my 5 year old share her food either.

They will definitely be given their own plate. When DS was 2, we had several servers offer to let him order a kids' meal at no charge, even at non-buffet meals. I don't think that's standard practice, but some will do it anyway. And at buffets, you just make them a plate, like you would any of your kids, but there is no charge. They definitely shouldn't have a problem with the two kids sharing one kids' meal.

At AYCTE meals, he can eat as much as he wants off his own plate for free, so at Garden Grill they will bring you an extra plate for him and the food is family style so he can eat all he wants. At Biergarten and Park Fare, you can fix as many plates for him as you want for free. Many people have reported being offered a free kids meal for under 3s at Storybook Dining. It's not a guarantee, but seems to be common practice at character meals at Disney (we were given free kids meals for our 2 yo at Bon Voyage and CRT which are also not AYCTE). At Skippers and Raglan, he is welcome to share food with anyone else who has purchased a meal and they will happily provide an empty plate for you to share with him. If you want him to have his own meal, you will have to purchase one for him. In regards to drinks, he can always have a cup of water for free. Many places will give under 3s a free kids drink (milk, juice, tea, pop- not the fancy specialty drinks), but it's not guaranteed and is usually at the discretion of the server. On our last trip, out of 12 or 13 restaurants, the only place we were charged for his drink was Raglan Road.

When our grandson was under three most every place we ate offered him a free meal. I remember ordering a fruit cocktail from Via Napoli and the server told us it was included and kept asking if he’d be interested in anything else. Everywhere we ate would even bring him things out we hadn’t ordered. Like a plate of fries or even the light up toy from a kids drink.

When we ate at CRT, my daughter (under 3) was offered a free infant meal when I said she would be eating off our plates. They gave her chicken tenders, fries and a fruit cup (I think).

When we ate at Trattoria al Forno for Bon Voyage breakfast last year, my son (under 3) was offered his own plate free of charge (I said he was going to eat off all of our plates and the server said she would bring him his own meal at no charge.)

We mostly do buffets and family style with the kids but these 2 character meals with menus served my child under 3 their own plates of food at no charge.

It may be up to the server? I’m just not sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter