Looking at RCCL, NCL, CCL after our August DCL

NYIceQueen

Mouseketeer
Need some advice - DCL's newly released routes are wonderful - but have absolutely NOTHING that I was looking for as far as a second cruise. We're still excited about our 1st cruise ever on DCL in August.

For those who have sailed other lines, particularly RCCL but question open to all, what has been your general experience? Have 2 kids - they'll be 14 and 7 next year. Not really into gambling. Looking specifically at routes that stop at San Juan and/or depart from NYC. Fine dining isn't important, but overall food quality and cleanliness is.

Any advice, pointers, opinions you can give would be wonderful. Thanks in advance to all :)

Are you willing to sail FROM San Juan? We've done three cruises from San Juan on Royal. They are quite lovely! The Southern Caribbean ports are so wonderful, much better than Western ports, IMO. I believe Adventure sails from San Juan currently. She's not the newest ship, but does have the Royal Promenade, which is nice.

There is quite a large number of people from Puerto Rico on the San Juan cruises. On our last one (in 2012) there must've been several large groups too. Kind of like the Brazilian groups that get a lot of flack at WDW, the large groups of people did get a bit annoying at time. But hey, we were on vacation so it was all right!

Are you willing to sail FROM San Juan? We've done three cruises from San Juan on Royal. They are quite lovely! The Southern Caribbean ports are so wonderful, much better than Western ports, IMO. I believe Adventure sails from San Juan currently. She's not the newest ship, but does have the Royal Promenade, which is nice.

There is quite a large number of people from Puerto Rico on the San Juan cruises. On our last one (in 2012) there must've been several large groups too. Kind of like the Brazilian groups that get a lot of flack at WDW, the large groups of people did get a bit annoying at time. But hey, we were on vacation so it was all right!

Sure! From San Juan would be great - would give us a few days beforehand on the island to see the sites. Eastern might be easier on us just for airfare reasons and, even though I'm from PR, my parents and my in-laws live in Florida so we could stop and see them for a few days, then head out.

And yes, we can be a loud bunch ;) But I own it! *laugh*

I don't mind older ships, as long as they're in good shape. What was your experience on the ship? Comfort and good food are a plus :)

Our last cruise on Adventure was 2.5 years ago, and my memory is pretty bad at times. I think the Windjammer (buffet) might still be the traditional buffet line set up, as opposed to the "pod" set up. These probably are not the correct terms. On other (newer) Royal ships I've been on, they've had the buffet tables essentially set up in pods where you could freely flow between the different food stations. While it does cause some confusion at times, if there are multiple people trying to get to the same item, it does prevent the inevitable long cafeteria line that forms at a traditional buffet (and that one line stinks when all you want is one thing and people give you dirty looks for trying to get that one thing you want!). Don't ask me why I remember this. Maybe because the line was particularly long one day? haha!

We've always enjoyed Royal's food. I'd say that the DCL's buffet is better than Windjammer's overall, in terms of quality, but I think the rest of the food is comparable. Food is always subjective, though! There is a different menu every night in the main dining room on Royal, with about 5 or so entrees each night along with different appetizers, soups, and salads.You can do a google search for the main dining room menus; they were updated in the last couple years. We really enjoy Royal's dining room for lunch on sea days. They have their "tutti" salad where you pick out your lettuce/toppings/dressing/etc, and then the chef chops it all together and tosses it with the dressing in a bowl. It's quite yummy. You can do the tutti salad in addition to ordering off the menu, or as your lunch entree if you want. We enjoy the dining room for breakfast also. Over the last several years they have started having essentially a "mini buffet" in the dining room at breakfast. You can still order off the menu, but there is also a basic buffet line in the center of the dining room with breakfast basics. Eggs, breakfast meats, fruits, potatoes, etc. This allows us variety and the ability to eat quickly if we want, without having to deal with the masses up in the Windjammer. You can't beat ordering room service for breakfast on your balcony! The room service breakfast isn't fantastic, but it does include hot items (unlike DCL where you can only order pastry-type items, I think?).

I don't particularly remember thinking that Adventure looked "old" or "tired." I know the ship didn't look brand new, but that's to be expected because it's not brand new. I really like the Royal Promenade, because it disperses the crowds and prevents the bottleneck that can form on some ships that have narrow corridors.

The skating rink on Adventure is fun. There will be a production show on the rink, and there will be times where you can skate too. There is a rock climbing wall that may excite some adventurous folks.

There are always a lot of deck chairs on Royal's ships, just don't expect to find one near the pool easily! Just like any cruise, expect them to be popular on sea days.

Airfare to PR is more expensive, but the cruises tend to be cheaper. So it tends to almost even out in the end.

We just did our first Disney cruise and had a great time. A year ago we were on the Carnival Dream and also had a great time. We can't afford a Disney cruise every vacation so next year we are going on the Carnival breeze. The price is great and the ship looks good. The Breeze has several more southern itineraries that go south to puerto rico and other islands. Our cruise leaves out of miami and is going to grand turk, st martin, puerto rico, and st kitts. They also have other ships that have some great itineraries.

We thought our carnival cruise had much better lunch options then the Disney cruise. The food by the pool was just so much better... The pizza, burgers,etc. We liked having different stations instead of just the standard buffet -- burritos, tandoori, pasta, some have fish and chips, a deli, etc. Disney we felt had better food in the MDR.

The breeze has a ropes course and lots of things on the sports deck and water works area that your kids may like. My kids are younger but they enjoyed both ships kids club. And both cruises had tons of families on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter