• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking at cancelling our Dec DVC on borrowed points, will they go back to 2021 UY?

kverdon

Mouseketeer
We had planned last Feb, before all this hit, to go back to WDW in Dec to put us in the Christmas Spirit. With all the changes like No Park Hopping, No Resort Hopping, probably no Candlelight processional or Hollidays Arround the World and likely the new reduced hours, we are about to throw in the towel and cancel. We booked our stay by borrowing all our Feb 2021 UY Points into 2020. If we cancel, under the current rules, will those points go back to our 2021 UY?

thanks,

Kevin and Mona

Ok, I had thought, due to the restrictions in place they were returning them to the original use year, I guess they must have ended that.

I think they are still returning them. Worth a call to MS to check.

Don't blame you for cancelling. We cancelled our December trip quite a while ago.

Last edited:

As of a few weeks ago, they were still returning them. If you know you are not going call as they can change it back anytime!

We cancelled 3 weeks ago, Nov trip with a Dec use year. Borrowed points were returned. We are, however, losing 36 points that were banked from 2018.

Good luck.

I have 144 points Sept UY for a Dec reservation. I called and asked If WDW is forced to close for Dec, what happens to my points.

34 were banked from 2019 - They must be used by Aug 31, 2021
4 were borrowed from 2021 - Will return to 2021
106 are from from 2020 - they can be used by Aug 31, 2021 or be bankable by April 31, 2021

I guess I should have asked if I cancel now, what happens to my 34 banked points. Ugg, I was on hold for 22 minutes.

I have 144 points Sept UY for a Dec reservation. I called and asked If WDW is forced to close for Dec, what happens to my points.

34 were banked from 2019 - They must be used by Aug 31, 2021
4 were borrowed from 2021 - Will return to 2021
106 are from from 2020 - they can be used by Aug 31, 2021 or be bankable by April 31, 2021

I guess I should have asked if I cancel now, what happens to my 34 banked points. Ugg, I was on hold for 22 minutes.
They aren’t allowing banked points to be banked again. They did allow an extension until Nov. 30, 2020 for 2018 banked points, for UYs April, June, August, September and October, that had been used to book a reservation that occurred when the resorts were closed. DVC is not doing the same for other UYs or for points that were used for reservations that occur while the resorts are open. Your 2019 Sept UY points that were banked into Sept 2020 would not be extended. You would need to use them by Aug 31, 2021.

I have a September UY and just yesterday was able to call and reallocate points from a September canceled trip for my November trip and had borrowed points put back in the original UY (September 2021).

I asked if this was only being done due to what is currently going on with Covid and the CM told me it was. I am so happy I called.

So whether I cancel before my 31 day prior to arrival OR WDW cancels my DEC reservation, my 34 points banked of 2019, must be used by Aug 2021?

So whether I cancel before my 31 day prior to arrival OR WDW cancels my DEC reservation, my 34 points banked of 2019, must be used by Aug 2021?
Correct, assuming that the DVC resorts are open during your scheduled vacation. I assume you are asking what happens if you have MS cancel (rather than WDW) or you doing it yourself . WDW will not unilaterally cancel reservations if the resorts are open. Extensions were not (and are not) being given for points banked from 2019 use years.

Correct. At this time, no compromises are being made for points which have already been banked once with the exception of those reservations and UYs that I mentioned in my PP.

We had planned last Feb, before all this hit, to go back to WDW in Dec to put us in the Christmas Spirit. With all the changes like No Park Hopping, No Resort Hopping, probably no Candlelight processional or Hollidays Arround the World and likely the new reduced hours, we are about to throw in the towel and cancel. We booked our stay by borrowing all our Feb 2021 UY Points into 2020. If we cancel, under the current rules, will those points go back to our 2021 UY?

thanks,

Kevin and Mona
They will automatically be returned to 2021 within 15 days unless you want them returned sooner so you can book something else. So you're good :) - I would call and have MS return them though

My points were returned to me (188) while I was still on the phone and saw them on my Dashboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter