Long time Disney cruiser considering Oasis out of Port Canaveral

Seriously? what prices do you have booked at? Oasis is half the price of Fantasy every time I check! Even getting a VGT on Fantasy, it was still have the cost of our Oasis cruise!
Oasis Western 4/29-5/6 2018 Balcony $3,845; Disney Fantasy Eastern Balcony 5/5-5/12 2018 $3,867. Both 2 adults and both have Cruise Insurance.

Oasis Western 4/29-5/6 2018 Balcony $3,845; Disney Fantasy Eastern Balcony 5/5-5/12 2018 $3,867. Both 2 adults and both have Cruise Insurance.

I just popped in your 2018 cruise date on Oasis and got $2006.80 for an Ocean view balcony deck 9 and a deck 9 balcony cabin on the Fantasy cruise you have noted comes up as $3990? So basically double? Actually you can get a junior suite on Oasis for less than the Fantasy balcony!

I'm a long time Disney Cruiser as well and for the first time this past March I tried a 12-day RCL Anthem of the Seas Cruise out of New York when a few groups of friends planned a cruise and I wanted to join them. I have to say they where a lot of things I enjoyed about the ship (lower cost, more hi-tech things than DCL, tons of activities for everyone and lots of dining options at a cost of course) and some things I could not stand (service at times was bad, smaller staterooms, constant sales push in stores, a lack of some organization at port, smokers) but the things that where important to me (service, staff and entertainment) are the reasons I will continue to sail with Disney. Don't get me wrong I haven't cut off RCL completely if my friends plan another trip on RCL and I don't have any commitments and the ports look good I might go. Nevertheless I'm glad I dipped my toes in the water and tried a different cruise line.

I just popped in your 2018 cruise date on Oasis and got $2006.80 for an Ocean view balcony deck 9 and a deck 9 balcony cabin on the Fantasy cruise you have noted comes up as $3990? So basically double? Actually you can get a junior suite on Oasis for less than the Fantasy balcony!
The Category we always book on Oasis (D2) is sold out so it isn't coming up any more for that cruise. And when we boarded Disney's Dream in October, that was the mock booking that we took with us when we went to the future cruises desk to compare prices. Once they took the 10% off for booking onboard, those were the actual prices we had to choose from - so we pushed our cruise back a week and booked the Fantasy. And once you add in the taxes, port fees, and insurance, the JS is closer to $4400.

The Category we always book on Oasis (D2) is sold out so it isn't coming up any more for that cruise. And when we boarded Disney's Dream in October, that was the mock booking that we took with us when we went to the future cruises desk to compare prices. Once they took the 10% off for booking onboard, those were the actual prices we had to choose from - so we pushed our cruise back a week and booked the Fantasy. And once you add in the taxes, port fees, and insurance, the JS is closer to $4400.

The prices I quoted included all taxes, port fees- neither had insurance...what room would that be on the Fantasy? I wouldn't think the D2 would be so much more than the D5 which is $2215 for 2 adults including taxes and port fees- When I quoted the JS I believe it was just under 4K now it's coming up as $4127

The prices I quoted included all taxes, port fees- neither had insurance...what room would that be on the Fantasy? I wouldn't think the D2 would be so much more than the D5 which is $2215 for 2 adults including taxes and port fees- When I quoted the JS I believe it was just under 4K now it's coming up as $4127
D7, and D2's are in prime locations (on the hump) on Oasis class ships. What you see now D5 is not comparable, either for location or design. I quoted prices with cruise insurance, and you quoted prices without. While you may not like the outcome, the reality is that the cabin we always book on Disney was a total of $22 more than the cabin we always book on Oasis, and yes, I am talking about the exact same cabin on both ships :)

Last edited:

D7, and D2's are in prime locations (on the hump) on Oasis class ships. What you see now D5 is not comparable, either for location or design. I quoted prices with cruise insurance, and you quoted prices without. While you may not like the outcome, the reality is that the cabin we always book on Disney was a total of $22 more than the cabin we always book on Oasis, and yes, I am talking about the exact same cabin on both ships :)

Ah the hump cabins- I should have googled and figured that out!
I just looked up some dates and get D2's at pretty good prices...The cruise before yours has them at $2380 (no insurance) - is there something special about that week you have booked? I get the JS at $4055 for your week (no insurance)
Cheapest veranda cabin I can find on any Fantasy cruise is around $3400 in January

While on the Oasis this past week we booked a 7-night eastern Caribbean cruise (Oasis again) for 9/3/17 in a balcony cabin. Total price slightly under $1,800 for the two of us. Just for fun I checked the Fantasy sailing the day before that in a veranda room and the cheapest was almost exactly twice that price.

Our March 4, 2018 7 night Grand Suite Western Oasis $5,285 complete includes $500 OBC at 371 sq. ft. plus 105sq. ft. balcony total = 476sq. ft., suite alone is larger than entire Fantasy accommodations

March 3, 2018 7 night Concierge Family Western Fantasy $8,525 at 306sq. ft. includes Verandah

Last edited:
We are sailing the Oasis in a few weeks after 15 Disney cruises. We are sailing on a 8 day for a little less than we sailed on a 4 day Disney last year.
I'll let you know what we think when we get back.

When you book direct you pass up any extra perks (on board credits) that your TA also offers yet you still pay the same price. That's why we always use a TA for cruises.

What are the benefits of booking with TA? I don't see the deals advertised like I do with DCL. If I used Dreams, could I make my own dinner reservations and excursions, etc or would the TA do that?

I am considering the Allure of out Ft Lauderdale bc that is the only Eastern I see for Spring Break week. (canaveral would be much closer.)

Is the ship so big that it is difficult to find your family on it / 'meet at the pool'? When I look at the photos, I think 'if we split up for a few minutes, how would we ever find each other?' Is phone texting free - or would we all need internet package for that?

What would be a good deck? I would want outside verandah. I feel stressed trying to figure all these things out for that huge ship, especially with all the needed restaurant and show reservations needed ( I have read...) but DCL is 6-7 thousand dollars more for that week.

What are the benefits of booking with TA? I don't see the deals advertised like I do with DCL. If I used Dreams, could I make my own dinner reservations and excursions, etc or would the TA do that?
The benefits with Dreams include a very nice gift basket (which is sent to your home before the cruise) and an On Board Credit in addition to any that you might qualify for from the cruise company. All for the exact same price you'd pay if you booked directly with with the cruise company. You can make your own dinner reservations and excursions.

What would be a good deck? I would want outside verandah. I feel stressed trying to figure all these things out for that huge ship, especially with all the needed restaurant and show reservations needed ( I have read...) but DCL is 6-7 thousand dollars more for that week.

In the pursuit of fairness, I will correct myself here. Apparently RCCL website kept sending me to the cheapest date available when I thought I was pricing another date. Thus, Rccl is only about 2-3 thousand dollars cheaper... Just saying'

I am bummed out. I was just about to book and was getting excited even though the Nassua stop is not long enough to even do anything, so it is really only St Maarten and St Thomas for ports AND I would be giving up CC, but at the steeper price, it doesn't feel like such a good compromise anymore.

On the other hand, the Madagascar Parade, How to Train Your Dragon ice show and Aqua water/ acrobatics show would definitely appeal to my kids more than the Disney princessy stuff.

In the pursuit of fairness, I will correct myself here. Apparently RCCL website kept sending me to the cheapest date available when I thought I was pricing another date. Thus, Rccl is only about 2-3 thousand dollars cheaper... Just saying'

I am bummed out. I was just about to book and was getting excited even though the Nassua stop is not long enough to even do anything, so it is really only St Maarten and St Thomas for ports AND I would be giving up CC, but at the steeper price, it doesn't feel like such a good compromise anymore.

On the other hand, the Madagascar Parade, How to Train Your Dragon ice show and Aqua water/ acrobatics show would definitely appeal to my kids more than the Disney princessy stuff.

Our group of kids loved the parade, ince show, and aqua show on Oasis, also loved the pools and that more than the Fantasy- DD who was 11 when we did the fantasy didn't even get in the pool as she didn't want to be in the kid soup staring at the screen

Our group of kids loved the parade, ince show, and aqua show on Oasis, also loved the pools and that more than the Fantasy- DD who was 11 when we did the fantasy didn't even get in the pool as she didn't want to be in the kid soup staring at the screen

My daughter was 6 when we went on the Oasis. She loved ALL the shows, especially CATS. It was so great having so many pool options as well. On our Magic cruise last month there were so many people in the pool all we could do was stand. It was ridiculous. After our Oasis cruise my daughter asked if we could go on that ship again! She's never asked that about any ship/cruise! So...we are happily going on the Allure in February.

Great to hear these positive things. I just booked Allure today for Spring Break! I am excited about it (except getting all the way to Fort L part... but I did not want to do Western.

I have two weeks (before PIF date) to see if my teens warm up to the idea and get excited or if I let them stay home. Youngest DS and I really want them to come with us, but that is pricey Forced Family Fun. I think they are going to be pleasantly surprised by the Allure.

Hi all,

Booking/Pricing

2. Is it similar to Disney in that we should book as early as possible for best pricing? If there is a sale or the price drops can we we-book without penalty? Yes - and if price drops you can re-book at the lower price. Our Allure cruise has dropped twice. They have some excellent BOG60 off rates. Excursions are also discounted.

Dining/Drinks

1. We don't want to pack for formal nights. Are the main dining rooms made to be a big deal like on Disney? We'd probably just pick alternate dining on the formal nights. We never do formal night any more - just too much extra to pack for a few hours. You can wear what you usually do. I was surprised on the Magic last month to see how people were dressed...crocs, torn shorts, and pj bottom pants in the MDRs!
2. We're soda drinkers. Can you get a soda included with your meals or is that an up charge? Can one person get the soda package and just share once in a while? You can buy the package (if you drink enough soda to make it worth while) or pay for individual sodas. Personally, I don't think it's cool to "share" a package. However, I am sure some people do.
3. Is the dining good without having to pay/reserve the up charge restaurants? Last year the food on the Oasis was okay. We always enjoyed the buffet. We did eat in the Italian specialty and it was very good. On the Allure we plan to try a couple more of the specialty restaurants. (On our Serenade cruise in July we were so exhausted when we got back to the ship that we ate in the buffet every night - the good was good.)

Entertainment

1. I've read you have to book evening entertainment in advance. Is there also a charge for the entertainment, or are you just booking free tickets? No charge. Easy to book online.

Do they dock or tender at their private beach in Labadee Haiti? Dock.

Anything else we should keep in mind? I need to keep extra up charges in mind to make a fair comparison to Disney pricing.There are extra charges on Disney as well. The ONLY thing that is free on Disney that you will pay for on ANY RCI, NCL, etc. is soda! You really can spend as much or as little as you want. We actually spend more on Disney because we get the photo package. I really do think it's funny when people complain about the shops/sales on other lines. Just don't go! What is the problem? :-) Be warned though if shopping is not your thing (it's not mine) - the Oasis (and I assume Allure) has a shopping promenade with upscale shops. I steer clear!

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions. We really enjoy our Disney cruises but are wondering if trying something different is worth a shot.

I think it's good to try other lines. I believe RCI has an excellent adults only area (haven't been). Entertainment is good. Food is good to very good. I love that there are so many dining options. We've never had bad service and have found the crew to be nice on RCI. I think it depends more on who you are sailing with (kids/no kids) and what you like to do. It took us 5 Disney cruises to really have the kind of Disney cruise everyone raves about. There were some things here and there that weren't good. We are very open to trying any cruise line (we like the big ships because they have so much more for our daughter to do). Most lines are more similar than they are different.

Think you have to expand above to see my answers in red.

We have cruise both. First was Disney - then many years later RCI - my DH kept saying how much he like the food better, the design of the ship better, the service better - on Disney. We did another RCI and enjoyed it much better as we didn't keep comparing it to our Disney cruise - just taking it for what it was. We have done 3 more Disney cruise since then and enjoy Disney but would still cruise RCI. The main thing I remember is the first time walking into the Windjammer for breakfast - all the waiters were standing near the door offering trays of fresh squeezed orange juice - of course once you took a glass - they asked for your room key to charge you for it. Just be careful of what you take.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter