Logistics question re: Split Stay (1 night / 5 nights)

rpw2014

Earning My Ears
On our last several trips to Disney, my wife and I have stayed at a Kissimmee hotel the night before our our multi-day stay. (We drive from Virginia.) This time (April 2024), I've decided that we will stay at All-Star Movies for that "night before". We'll probably get in town around supper time and bus to the TTC and then make the full circle trip on the Resorts monorail. Our primary stay will be at POR. Our first day park will be Magic Kingdom.

My question centers around the logistics of checking out the next morning and how best to handle the transportation & luggage. As it stands right now, here's my plan...
  • Check-out of All-Star first thing in the morning and drive to TTC/MK. (probably around 7:30 am)
  • If it's going to be a hot day, we'll have Disney transfer our luggage to POR. If it is a cool day, we will load everything in the car and take with us. May choose to do both...take some things with us and have some transferred. (Will make sure we have essentials in case they transfer our stuff later than hoped.)
  • Will drive from MK to POR when we get notified that our POR room is ready; but not before 1:00 pm (if we happen to get the room assignment early.)
  • After we have checked in and settled at POR, will take bus to MK for the remainder of the day.
  • Will probably stack our Genie+ attractions for afternoon / evening at MK. Plan to stay until it closes.
So...do you see any flaws with my plans? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Your plans sound well thought out! Just be careful and aware that if you have Disney transfer your luggage, you might not get it until 3/4/5PM that day. Be prepared, in case that might happen. Unfortunately, even though you'll likely be notified when your POR room is ready, you will not be notified when your luggage arrives. So you could potentially head back to the room around 2PM for check-in, but not have the bulk of your luggage yet.

Another option that we have used (and I know it might not make sense for your schedule) is to check out early, take the luggage to POR and drop it will bell services there before heading to MK. Then you'll know exactly where it is. Also, if you have anything that needs refrigeration, Disney will not transfer it. But if you take it yourself and give it to bell services at POR, they'll put it into cold storage until you're ready for it. Enjoy your trip!

Considering you are driving, I think your easiest option is to pack ONE bag for you and your wife that has all the things you'll need for that one night stay at Movies. Everything for the POR stay goes in different bags/suitcases. The only bag you get out of the car for that first night is the one with the stuff for your one night at Movies. In the morning, it's just one bag to throw back in the car. You avoid waiting for and tipping bell services, but you're also not lugging multiple bags to and from the car for one night.

Considering you are driving, I think your easiest option is to pack ONE bag for you and your wife that has all the things you'll need for that one night stay at Movies. Everything for the POR stay goes in different bags/suitcases. The only bag you get out of the car for that first night is the one with the stuff for your one night at Movies. In the morning, it's just one bag to throw back in the car. You avoid waiting for and tipping bell services, but you're also not lugging multiple bags to and from the car for one night.
Yes...that is what we normally do in these situations. Although, my wife has some difficulty with that concept. :-)

Another option that we have used (and I know it might not make sense for your schedule) is to check out early, take the luggage to POR and drop it will bell services there before heading to MK. Then you'll know exactly where it is. Also, if you have anything that needs refrigeration, Disney will not transfer it. But if you take it yourself and give it to bell services at POR, they'll put it into cold storage until you're ready for it. Enjoy your trip!
That's a good suggestion... especially since POR is somewhat on the way from All-Star to MK. Then can decide whether to drive to MK from POR or just take the bus.

If you're worried about missing rope drop at MK you can also check your bags at All Stars take the bus to the MK, bus back, grab your car and pick up your bags and head over to POR to check in.

Your plan makes a lot of sense. The only thing I see is that you have two rounds of needing to take transport from TTC to get to MK. Unless you really want to drive, it would be more direct to check out of Movies and drive to POR. Leave bags with Bell Services, and hop on bus to MK. It would drop you off right outside entry points. You could still take a break and go back to hotel when room is ready - again, when you come back, no TTC.

It looks like you have several good suggestions here. The only thing I would do differently is have my luggage transferred and just stay at the park all day. The luggage will most definitely be there by the time you arrive later that night. Unless for some reason you need to go back to the room.

Also, if you have anything that needs refrigeration, Disney will not transfer it. But if you take it yourself and give it to bell services at POR, they'll put it into cold storage until you're ready for it. Enjoy your trip!
I did not know this! Thank you!!

Do you think the same goes for BCV? I'm staying at All-Star Music my first night, then moving over to BCV. I sure would like to be able to be able to have my cold stuff in a fridge there.

I did not know this! Thank you!!

Do you think the same goes for BCV? I'm staying at All-Star Music my first night, then moving over to BCV. I sure would like to be able to be able to have my cold stuff in a fridge there.
Yes, that’s true for all the Disney resorts - if you bring the items to them, they’ll keep them refrigerated/frozen as needed. They just won’t transport them for you (they don’t have refrigerated trucks).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter