Logistics of visiting Zion National Park

MrsPete

DIS Veteran
In a few weeks we're going on a road trip, and we'll visit several national parks in the western US. The first we'll visit is Zion, and I have some questions about how things'll work there:

Because this is going to be our FIRST stop, we plan to buy an America the Beautiful pass (one year's entry into all the national parks) at the gate. We'll be leaving our car and using she shuttle bus -- we won't have any trouble buying a pass, will we?

I'd like to hear about the shuttle system from someone who's actually used it. Is it efficient? Crowded in early July?

Zion seems to have so many activities! What're the "cannot miss" items? We'll be entering through the Main Gate in the southern portion of the park, and we likely will not venture up towards the northern portion.

I'm not sure if you can buy the annual pass at the gate. I think you can get those at the Visitor Center and they will put what you paid for admission towards your purchase of the card.

The other thing you can do is purchase the card through the National Parks website and have it mailed to you so you have it before you leave.

http://store.usgs.gov/pass/index.html

You will have no problem getting the pass at your first stop.

The Bus system in the valley and in town works very well. I would expect crowds, but I have no experience visiting then.

If you belong to AAA, you may be able to buy it through them. There is a National Park Passport you can buy and at each park go to the visitor center and get it stamped.

We did Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion a few years ago in that order and Zion was my favorite. (although they are ALL wonderful)
Have a great trip. We went in Nov so we didn't have crowds or shuttles to deal with.

Bump...I am also looking for 'must-sees' in Zion! My family leaves for AZ on 7/11 and will be in Zion for 2 nights on the 17th and 18th. Our vacation begins in Sedona and we continue to Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Bryce and Zion. Our friends are going with us. They suggested cutting one night out of Zion and adding a 3rd night in Las Vegas, but we'd prefer not to do that. We have 4 teenagers travelling with us as well.

Bump...I am also looking for 'must-sees' in Zion! My family leaves for AZ on 7/11 and will be in Zion for 2 nights on the 17th and 18th. Our vacation begins in Sedona and we continue to Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Bryce and Zion. Our friends are going with us. They suggested cutting one night out of Zion and adding a 3rd night in Las Vegas, but we'd prefer not to do that. We have 4 teenagers travelling with us as well.

There are no "must sees" in Zion or any of the places you are visiting. There are only "Must do's"!

You in shape? ;) Walter's Wiggles is a must do as is the walk through the river into the narrows. You will see plenty on the shuttle ride to these "trails".

ETA - remember that there is a world of difference between sea level (most of NJ) and the higher altitudes encountered in these parks.

Thanks for the tips!...I heard something about the walk through the river but not about Walter's Wiggles. We're in good shape :thumbsup2. We just have to see if the other family we're traveling with are up to it.

Bring or wear shoes that you can hike in the river in. Take the riverside walk all the way to the end and then cross the river. Follow the people up the river and into the narrows. I would reccomend wearing swim suits for this. Our other favorite is hiking the Emerald Pools trail all the way to the top pool.

The shuttles are really good and come every 6-8 minutes, so if the bus is full just wait for the next one.

One of the best photo op's is at the human discovery museum, out the side door to the right. If you have the time go see the movie.

We just got back from SLC with an overnight visit to Zion on the way home. We arrived about 4 and headed into the canyon about 5. My DM has a Golden Age Passport so we didn't have to pay to enter. We stayed at the Zion Park Motel, which was very nice-Mom and Pop. ( 2 Q with mirco and fridge $79/night) Best thing was the Zion Pizza and Noodle Co. right across the street. :cloud9:The pizza was really good. They don't open until 4 and only take cash, no checks or cards. http://www.zionpizzanoodle.com

12" cheese pizza $11/ add $2 for toppings. My DM, DD9, and I shared one along with a small salad. Very Good.! Wish they were open for the lunch the next day.

We parked at the Visitor's Center (saw a deer) and rode the shuttle all the way to the end. (The last shuttle leaves that stop and 11 p.m.) We were going to walk into the river a ways until DD fell into it and wanted to go (her panties were full of sand-rinsed them out in the bathroom).

We came back in the next morning (drove, not shuttled) and took the switchback road to the right and went through the tunnel-very cool (but hot as well.) :sunny: Stopped back on Visitor's Center to get some postcards and had a hard time parking. I can see how the shuttle is a good idea.

We aren't hikers and didn't have any hiking gear with us. They do rent waterproof hiking shoes in town, guaranteed to not give you blisters, that my DM highly recommends! :goodvibes They also rent walking sticks. I would rec. going early in the a.m .or late in the day-not while the sun is directly overhead.

Walters Wiggles looks cool and next time we go to Zion we'll have to do it as well as check out the river walk. When DD9 is a little bigger.

It was really hot in Zion this week. Over 100 as we drove into the area. Bring plenty of water, sunscreen, snacks, and a hat.

The shuttle is very efficient. There was a stop just down the block from our motel to go into Zion and one across the street coming out. They are not air conditioned-beware of tourist who don't use deodorant!

We did have a hard time finding ice cream after 9 p.m. but I was able to get a large cup, to go, at the Brumbleberry Restaurant and we also got a piece of Brumbleberry Pie from the bakery. Really good heated up in our room micro with DD's vanilla ice cream! :yay:

After we left we stopped in Veagas for a few hours so DD cold play in the kid's play area at The Orleans. She loves it and I felt sorry for her since she got car sick :sick: in the middle of the desert.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter