Lodging

tomchfun97006

Earning My Ears
I am thinking about staying at an Airport hotel because of the transportation ammenities and cooked to order breakfast. Any of the closer DL hotels have a free Airport shuttle and Cont Breakfast? I have been checking around but have not found anything as good at a cheaper price.

If you stay at the airport, how will you be getting to the park everyday? Which airport are you considering? How much are you getting the room for?

Give us some things to compare and we'll give you some recomendations!

my co-worker stayed here and loved their cooked to order breakfast (free).
and the shuttle too is offered.Embassy Suites

Which airport? LAX would be a horrible drive everyday. You can get a cooked to order breakfast at the Embassy Suites and hot buffet style breakfast at Resdience Inn. Both use ART to the parks which is $3 per adult/day, free for children under 12. They do not offer free airport transers, but none of the hotels in the area do. The Candy Cane Inn has a wonderful continental breakfast and free park shuttle. You can book the Super Shuttle to LAX for $15 per guest each way. Or the Anahiem resort express is $28 round trip from LAX/$24 from SNA.

hlbtimes2 said:
If you stay at the airport, how will you be getting to the park everyday? Which airport are you considering? How much are you getting the room for?

Give us some things to compare and we'll give you some recomendations!
I am looking at Best Western at JW Airport and it has DL shuttle, Airport Suttle and Free cook to order breakfast

I couldn't imagine the commute every day. You didn't mention how long you were staying. I don't think it would be worth it,but thats just me.imho :confused3

Your call. And it does depend what time of year you go. But you will probably put yourself squarely into the most crowded time at DL. Here is what many people do: Show up 2-3 hours after DL opens its gates, wait in all of the ride lines when they are at their longest, stay thru the heat of the day, then leave when they get tired at 5-7PM.

If you want to get more from your trip, and have it be more relaxing, and you are going during a busier time, here is how to use other people's tendencies to your advantage:

1. Stay at a hotel very close to DL. Here is map of local hotels http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap.html. We have stayed at several, but have converged on gettting a suite at the Best Western Park Place Inn right across the street from DL - a 5 minute walk to the DL gate. We have found even the Howard Johnson (nice hotel BTW) to be too far us - stayed there in 2003.

2. Get to the gates 20-30 minutes before the park opens with your tickets in hand.

3. All the ride lines are short - ride a whole bunch of rides during the first 2-3 hours.

4. Collect FastPasses and use them after the early morning.

5. Take a break back to your hotel at Noon-1PM - as you walk down Main Street on your way out you will be going in the opposite direction of all the late comers who are coming in to wait in long lines all afternoon.

6. If you have not eaten lunch, then do so. The worst time to eat lunch at DL is guess when? It is when everyone else wants to eat. If you want to eat lunch at DL, do it at 11:30 or snack until 1:30 and then eat lunch. We eat lunch in our room most days. The suite at BWPPI has a fridge and microwave. This saves time and money. We plan in a special lunch on some days - we did lunch at the Blue Bayou last August.

7. If it is warm, take a swim at the hotel to cool off. Then take a nap - adults included.

8. Work in dinner however seems best. Either outside the park or in, or make some plans on some days for special dinners.

9. Return to the parks at 6PM after your long break and long nap in an air-conditioned room. As you re-enter the park and walk up Main Street, you will be passing in the opposite direction all of those who stayed thru the heat of the day and are now tired and ready to call it quits. And guess what? The ride lines start to shorten. Stay as late as you or your group can make it. With a 3+ hour nap, my kids made it to 11PM every night, and sometimes midnight.

10. Then return to your hotel on foot. It is only 5-10 minutes away.

11. If you are going for several days, plan in "a sleep late" day and go to DCA that day. It does not open until at least 10AM.

11. If you want to do sit down lunches or dinners - we did some of those too - then plan them in. I am not saying you should go commando all day at the expense of eating a good meal. I am not saying you should go commando at all. I am just saying that if you plan meals selectively and creatively you can maximize your time at the parks - and probably be less tired than those who do DL in the "conventional" way.

tomchfun97006 said:
I am looking at Best Western at JW Airport and it has DL shuttle, Airport Suttle and Free cook to order breakfast

Personally, I wouldnt want to stay that far from the parks. We like to be close enough to return for breaks, a change of clothes, etc. I would want to know more about their comp. shuttle to the parks- how often does it run? Do you have to plan in advance for a ride to and from the parks? Are the hours limited? All things to think about, especially if you are traveling with kids. Time is also important. We usually dont feel like we have enough time as it is, I wouldnt want to spend 30 minutes in the shuttle each direction or waiting for a shuttle.

I read reviews at tripadvisor.com. They look ok, but most people felt "cooked to order breakfast" was misleading. Looks to be scrambled eggs, toast or hashbrowns and meat. Most were expecting a menu to order from. Most felt the rooms were fine and things were clean enough.

A shuttle from the airport to a hotel closer to the park is going to be about $10-15 per person. So, if you have 1-2 people its not bad. If you have more then that you might consider a rental car to save money. Through Alamo you can often get a car for a weekend (pick up Thur and return sun or mon) for about $40-45 + gas (we spent $7 last time), with unlimited miles. For $10 off the weekend rate use code D60C.

It really all comes down to whats important to you- saving time or money. And how much is each worth to you.

BW -Santa Ana (airport ) is about $82/night.
I am sure you can find something in that price range or slightly higher in Anaheim. Hydroguy has provided the map for hotels. try researching some more. Again, there are several (many!) places that offer continental breakfast and again the embassy suites I suggested does the cook to order free breakfast. As HydroGuy said, it's your call.

Thanks so much to all of you for your great advice. :goodvibes I am now trying to revise my plans. :surfweb: We are going Aug 3-7th and will plan for 3 days in the parks. Think I will find something closer as my Mom will be in a wheelchair and tires easily. I will have my 12 and 15 year old for a total of 4 of us. We want to find a place with micro and fridge with a contenental breakfast. We are trying to be as economical as possible but still have lots of fun :banana: :cheer2: All advice is welcome as this will be our 1st trip and probably the last with Grandma. Want to catch all the magic!!! :wizard:

The candy cane inn has space for the dates you are looking for. A regular room is $117 a night, deluxe $127 or premuim for $154. It close (10 minute walk or free shuttle). Has a good breakfast, and fridge in the room. The only thing it doesn't have is a microwave- you only get those with the premium rooms.

Expedia has good deals at the La Quinta. Its not what I would call walking distance, but they are on the ART line. Looks like they offer everything you want, for about $120 a night. I havent looked at tripadvisor to see what kind of reviews it has.

Best Western Park place inn is about $130 a night on expedia and looks to have what you need- breakfast, close by, fridge/microwave.

The Days Inn maingate convention has what you are looking for- shuttle to hotel, breakfast, fridge / microwave. They are about $120 a night.

Another thing you might want to do is call and see if anyone has "entertainment book" rates available for the time you are looking at. Sometimes you can get a room at Hojo's (howard johnson) for about $60 with the entertainment rate. The savings would cover the cost of breakfast (they dont provide one, but have a good resturant on site). Since you are booking early you might have a good chance of getting a room. If you dont have an entertainment book they are 1/2 price right now, so it would be pretty cheap to get one. Buy one for your area, the lodging discounts are good anywhere, and then you can use the rest of the discounts at home.

We got a 2 room suite at the Doubletree Guest Suites Anaheim Resort/Convention Center for $119 a night.

"Suites have either a King Bed or 2 Queen Beds with a custom-designed plush top mattress, jumbo pillows and a signature ''Sweet Dreams'' embroidered pillow. Suites feature a separate living room area with a pullout sofa bed, and amenities include microwave and refrigerator, coffee maker with complimentary coffee, iron & board, hair dryer, two 27'' remote control TVs with premium channels, pay-per-view and Nintendo video games, work-friendly desk, ergonomic chair, high speed internet access, two telephones with voice mail and data ports."

1-714-750-3000

The Candy Cane Inn is a great hotel. We'll be staying there again during our trip in July '06. They have a great continental breakfast, and though not all rooms have a microwave, their lobby is open 24 hours and has a microwave there to use. We packed microwave foods-popcorn, cup-a-noodles, etc. for snacking or a light meal.

The free exclusive shuttle is a great asset too. It ran every 30 minutes back and forth between the park and hotel. Very convenient.

Last trip didn't have a car, so we did the Supershuttle to/from LAX. This trip will rent a car (Avis) and drive to John Wayne International instead. There are several restaurants walking distance outside of the parks. Make sure you eat at Rainforest Cafe-great scenery and large servings.

We booked through a local Hawaii travel agency for our trip in June '04, but went with Dreams Unlimited for our upcoming July trip. So far we're really pleased and happy with the prices offered. Katie has offered great service to us.

Hope you enjoy your first trip there! :cool1:

I too can agree with Candy Cane. It's a motel for sure, but clean and very nice. Also, you don't have to cross Harbor to get to the parks.

I'd also suggest Del Sol. It's not quite as nice as CC, but still clean and roomy. It's right across Harbor - right behind the Denny's (which is good, as it makes it a bit more back from the traffic up and down Harbor). It usually runs a bit cheaper than CC.

WIth your mom in a wheelchair the Candy Cane Inn may not be the best choice unless you want to walk to the parks. Last time I check their shuttle was not wheelchair accessible. We like the Carousel Inn, the price is usually good and it was easy access for my daughter who also uses a wheelchair. You may have to call them for availibility as their website doesn't always have availibility, but when callin gthey have rooms. The Embassey Suites and Residence Inn both have hot cooked to order breakfast. They use the ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) system, which is supposed to be wheelchair accessible, however I would call with your prefered pick up times if you plan on using it. This way they can help ensure the lift is working.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter