Locks of Love

pumpkinfish

<font color=blue>Clothing Expert and Magic Giver o
So my hair has finally grown out and it's time for me to get it cut and sent off. I've been growing my hair out to donate, for almost 2 years!!! I haven't been to a salon in ages and have some questions:

1. Does anyone know of a good chain salon to go to? My girl I used to use locally has moved and I have no idea where to start. I've also asked my friends and nobody has come through for me.

2. Has anyone tried the salon services inside Ulta?

I've been maintaining my 6 week trims at SuperCuts and really want to treat myself to a cut/style/highlights.

Thanks for your ideas! :banana:

ETA: I am really thinking abut Regis but I don't know how much their services are...

I know that Locks of Love has a list on it's website of places that will give you the cut for free when you're donating. It is a starting place, though they may not be the "salon" type place you want. HTH.

ETA: I went to find the link for you and I guess they don't do that anymore. Sorry. It did say you could try an online search for "Locks of Love salon" with your city and state to find participating salons.

I agree with the previous poster that Ulta participates in locks of love... they would probably just charge you for the highlights.

But I also want to say that I really love Ulta... I went to a supercuts type place for years with no problems (since I have a fairly easy style to maintain). Several months ago an encounter with a stylist having a bad day :mad: left me with a huge chunk of hair cut out of the back (I had LONG hair). She attempted to add a few layers to correct - and I ended up with something resembling a mullet! I walked out, went to the only other place in my area (ULTA) and was SAVED by awesome stylist! I still cannot believe what she was able to do with the mess I came in with! :flower3:

Thanks everyone! I just called and scheduled a consultation at Ulta for Friday @ 2:30!

I'll let you know how it goes :goodvibes

i don't know if you've donated before, but if you haven't i would recommend sending the hair in yourself in an envelope. the first time i donated i had the salon send it in and it was completely uneventful. my friend donated hers as well and she sent it in herself and they sent her this certificate thanking her for sending her hair. it was very sweet and definitely something that makes you feel good about donating!

i'd love to do it again some day, i just haven't been growing my hair out, but i'm planning on it again.

i don't know if you've donated before, but if you haven't i would recommend sending the hair in yourself in an envelope. the first time i donated i had the salon send it in and it was completely uneventful. my friend donated hers as well and she sent it in herself and they sent her this certificate thanking her for sending her hair. it was very sweet and definitely something that makes you feel good about donating!

i'd love to do it again some day, i just haven't been growing my hair out, but i'm planning on it again.

Hmmm...thanks for that idea! This is my first time actually accomplishing the goal. My sister and I have tried several times but got selfish and cut our hair. This time my sis cut hers but I kept going.

Any other tips you can give me? Should I allow the stylist to put my hair in a ponytail/braid or should I do it before I leave home?

My DD and a friend had theirs cut a few months ago. We couldn't find a salon that did it free, so we just went to our regular girl and we sent it in. They got a nice certificate a few weeks later. The girl at the salon said some of the hair they get hasn't been trimmed in years and is a real mess and they don't use it, she said several salons in our area don't bother sending it in.

I send mine in on my own...They send a nice little card thanking you for your donation. I have done it twice in 14 months.

from what i remember, the girl at the salon put a ponytail in my hair. my hair was long for me, but it just about reached 11 in of donation hair. she took a ruler out and measured my hair then put the ponytail at the top most point that would make it enough to give. i remember was that i was stupid and didn't really get a good cut, i just had them hack the hair off and then had this horrible hair cut for almost a year before i decided it was time for some layers. :lmao:

What they do depends on the salon. I have done it 3 times now. First time I had about 30 little braids. Second time I had about 5 pony tails. Third time she just cut it off and laid it in neat piles. Each time I have gotten the little postcard/certificate thanking me. It's always weird to go from 12/13 inches of hair down to less than 1.

Our local paper wrote an article about Locks of Love. Their mission is to provide wigs and raise funds for folks who have alopecia (an allergy to their own hair). A lot of the hair donated is sold and the money goes to fund research. While it's a worthy cause, a lot of people who donate their hair think it's going to make wigs for cancer patients. If you want your hair to go for wigs for cancer patients, Pantene has sponsored a program. Just wanted to give an FYI for those who may not know what Locks of Love's mission actually is.

I recently cut 9 inches and donated to Pantene. Mainly because they only require 8 inches while Locks of Love requires 10.

The salons that give you a free cut for Locks of Love will only do a blunt cut, so if you are wanting a "style", you will likely have to pay for it.

I would suggest just picking out the salon you want to go to and just have them give you the cut ponytail and send it in yourself. I've had the salon do it before and I didn't get a certificate or anything, but when I've done it myself, I have.

Kimya

I personally am about to donate about 14 inches of hair to Locks of Love - SPECIFICALLY - because it helps children. These children are not like a cancer patient (where they will more than likely regrow hair after treatment) as they do not have the ability to have hair grow.

From their website,
Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under age 18 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis.
It is for kids only, those who cannot afford the hair pieces. They say for any long term hair loss. It is terrible to lose it at any time of your life, but kids tend to be a little harsher about stuff like that than grown ups are. But either way, donating your hair to any well known organization that will take it is a great thing to do.

I would be interested in finding out more info on the Pantene donation if anyone has a website!

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Here is the link to the Pantene program.

http://www.be autifullengths.com/en_US/requirements.jsp

DD went to Kyle Petty's Victory Junction Gang Camp in October and made friends with a girl who had long term hair loss due to cancer treatments. She was not eligible for a wig from "Locks of Love." She was told she could only get a wig if her hair loss was permanent.

I'm a mother to a 7 year old dd with alopecia. Locks for love as great as it is isn't for everyone. For instance my dd7 has about 60% hairloss on the scalp. She isn't eligible to get a wig from locks for love because they use vacuum wigs which are meant to go on completely bald heads with no stubble.

I stumbled upon a different program that we are currently using. They use a different style of wig so it can be worn over some hair. They do serve many kids with alopecia but they also help kids with cancer and any other type of hairloss. They do both short term and long term hair loss. They basically send an off the rack human hair wig which may be enough for some people but they will also make a custom made human hair wig once a year until a child reaches 21 if needed. We are in the early stages but the company has been very kind. They do accept hair donations but I don't know much about that part yet since I'm trying to get my hair to grow long enough first.

http://www.childrenwithhairloss.us/

:( my hair is down to my waist, and NOW i realize that my hair is not eligible. i have had it chemically straightened and colored.

anyone know how to make hair purses?

My husband had a Locks of Love cut. We chose to mail in the hair ourselves just to make sure it would get done. He dragged his feet a bit and it sat around in our house for a few weeks. I finally told him we needed to get it in the mail before the hair turned gray!

I think we went to either Super Cuts or Great Clips....they were very gracious about the free hair cut.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter