Locked Luggage and New Security?

Meagansmom

DIS Veteran
We always have locked our luggage. I am wondering if it matters now days? They will not have to open the luggage without us present? We have Samsonite luggage that has outside zippers that can access to the inside, things could fall out. Just wondering. Thanks!

I would not lock my luggage, in fact I never do. If you are worried about the zippers unzipping you can use a twisty tie to hold them together. If your luggage is locked and they need to search it, there is chance that your bag could be cut open.

We locked all of our bags on a trip that past November and we were chosed for a random check so I had to figure out which keys belonged to which lock on all 6 of our suitcases while trying to keep my kids out of trouble. It was crazy. I've vowed to color code the locks and keys this time with different shades of nail polish but I am still going to lock them. I thought I read on a previous post some time ago that if they want to search your luggage and it's locked, they'll page you. Did anyone else see this? Of course, in an emergency, they can do anything they need to do to access the luggage, but I'm still locking them.

My locks are high quality locks that I purchased from a local locksmith. They are combo locks, and all are set with the same combo.

I would never check my bag without a lock. They generally won't open your bag to inspect it without you being present. Customs is the only exception. In that case they'll cut the locks with a bolt cutter if they need to.

I have been paged in the past to open locked luggage for further inspection.

Anne

My DB's locked luggage was opened on his last trip. They cut the lock off. My S-I-L thinks they saw something "suspicious" when x-raying their luggage. For their flex gift, they chose a heavy metal picture frame. It was in the suitcase right next to DB's electric shaver, with the curly cord attached...........so it may have looked like something else??
I would still lock my luggage.

I would definately lock the luggage, especially if the suitcases have zippers. I have heard of zippers coming unzipped and stuff spilling out of the luggage.

Locking suitcases is still needed,

(a) to prevent accidental opening,

(b) to prevent someone from inserting contraband.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 POR
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
*no longer exists

If locks are broken or suitcases cut open, you can still enter a claim against the airline. There should be reasonable time and effort to find the owner of a suitcase including since s/he might be in the bathroom or not within earshot of malfunctioning PA loudspeakers.

I know it is basically just keeping honest people honest. I know people who have had items end up missing somewhere in between. And there is a lot that airlines don't cover if items are stolen from your luggage. (Read their fine print) Maybe homeowners insurance would cover it. But I don't want to put it to the test. ;)
This past January I flew with approx 140 pins in carry on and checked luggage. Nothing was ever questioned. I never even was asked to open my carry on pin bag.
I have read that usually if security needs your locked luggage opened, they will do it when you are present. Not for your comfort, but so they can nab you if something does end up being bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter